Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Steena said:

I have a small question ... imagine there was a married Spanish couple and they've been married for ... let's say 30 years. How would they call their beloved one? I want something really cute and nothing used between youths It should express that the other person is very dear to them.
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by Steena View Post
    I have a small question ... imagine there was a married Spanish couple and they've been married for ... let's say 30 years. How would they call their beloved one? I want something really cute and nothing used between youths It should express that the other person is very dear to them.
    Querida/Querido
    Mi Vida
    Chino/China (my parents call each other that.. it's very endearing but I'm not sure about political correctness)
    Amor/amorcito
    Dulce
    Muñeca
    Linda
    Cielo/cielo lindo
    corazon
    mamita/papito
    mamacita
    pipo
    viejo/vieja
    cariño

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    Querida/Querido
    Mi Vida
    Chino/China (my parents call each other that.. it's very endearing but I'm not sure about political correctness)
    Amor/amorcito
    Dulce
    Muñeca
    Linda
    Cielo/cielo lindo
    corazon
    mamita/papito
    mamacita
    pipo
    viejo/vieja
    cariño
    I can add to that list:

male/female
    viejito/viejita (my parents call each other like that)
    gordito/gordita (but doesnt mean fat, is in sweet way)
    cariñito (like litte darling...for both gender)
    dulzura (like sweetie.....for both gender)
    osito/osita (like little bear)

p.s. Damarys, I do understand if they call each other chino/china doesnt mean they are from China, maybe means they look like chinese, for the eyes
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Steena said:

@Zahra & damarys: thanks a lot, I bet I'll find a sweet word in your lists. Thank you!
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

Zahra2008 said:

u're welcome Steena.. any time
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!
  6. KRedding said:

Default Help with translation to English

Would someone be so kind as to translate this email. I understand the gist of it just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Thanks,
    Kathi

HOLA KATHI - BUENO ANTES QUE NADA MUCHO GUSTO AUNQUE SEA POR E-MAIL Y RESPONDIENDO A TU PREGUNTA; BUENO MI ARPA TAMBIEN TIENE 36 CUERDAS Y GENERALMENTE AFINO EL ARPA EN EL TONO DE "C" Y YA DEPENDE DE LO QUE SE VAYA A TOCAR EN EL SHOW PUES LA AFINAMOS AL TONO QUE SEA LA CANCION, SOBRETODO SI EL ARPA LLEVA UNA PARTICIPACION DE SOLISTA PUES LA AFINO TODA EN EL TONO QUE CORRESPONDA; MI ARPA TRAE UNAS PALANQUITAS QUE ME AYUDAN A SUBIR EL TONO O BAJARLO PERO ES NADA MAS EN LAS CUERDAS DE LA MELODIA YA QUE EN LOS 14 BORDONES (EN DONDE TOCAMOS EL BAJO) NO LE PUSE PORQUE ME ESTORBABAN. BUENO KATHI ESPERO HABER RESPONDIDO TU PREGUNTA Y QUE ESTES MUY BIEN SALUDOS

bedroomeyes said:

Hello Kathy- Well first of all, I'm glad to meet you even if only by email and I am responding to your question; Well my harp also has 36 strings and I generally tune the harp in the 'c' note and it depends on what note will be played during the show because we tune it to fit the song, especially if the harp is for a solo performance because I tune all of it in the corresponding note; My harp has some small levers that help me to raise the tone or lower it but only on the melody strings as on the 14 snares* (where we play the lower ones) I didn't put any because they bothered me. Well Kathy, I hope that I have answered your question and I hope you are well. Regards.

*Sorry, I'm not sure if 'snare' is the right word here. I'm not a music connoisseur at all. Hopefully the message makes sense to you regardless.*
    Last edited by bedroomeyes; 11-08-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: missed a line
  8. KRedding said:

Default Thanks!

Thanks Bedroom Eyes -
    I checked on a Spanish music terminology site and "Bordón" refers to bass strings so I will assume that is what he is talking about. Thanks for your help!
    We learn something new every day!
    Kathi
  9. AmCat said:

Hi! Would somebody translate this por mi, por favor? ^_^ Gracias!

I have nothing left to give, except my heart.
    -Spanish saying (so the site says)

------

"Recuerdeme--"
    _josh groban_

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by AmCat View Post
    Hi! Would somebody translate this por mi, por favor? ^_^ Gracias!

I have nothing left to give, except my heart.
    -Spanish saying (so the site says)

No tengo nada mas que dar, excepto my corazon.

------

"Recuerdeme--"
    _josh groban_
    this is tricky. "Recuerdame" means "remember me". "recuerdeme" means "remind me". I'm not sure if there is a misspelling here or what the context is.
  11. AMARIANA said:

Default Translate Sentence To Spanish Please

you need to have some respect for me. i am not going to share you with her.

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by AMARIANA View Post
    you need to have some respect for me. i am not going to share you with her.
    Tienes que tener un poco de respeto para mi/Me tienes que respetar un poco. No te voy a compartir con ella.
  13. KRedding said:

Default Vallenato???

Is "Vallenato" a style of music or song? Can you give me an example (other than Esta Vida)?
    My favorite Mariachi is going to be on the Latin Grammys this week and I've never heard this term before. Here is the quote:

"Los ídolos del vallenato interpretarán la canción `Esta Vida', acompañados del
    primer mariachi de México: `El Mariachi de Vargas'. "Será un concierto espectacular y sin precedentes", reseña la prensa latina."

Thanks!
    Kathi

citlalli said:

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    this is tricky. "Recuerdame" means "remember me". "recuerdeme" means "remind me". I'm not sure if there is a misspelling here or what the context is.
    Both means the same but

recuérdame (imperative 2nd. pers. singular )
    recuérdeme (imperative, polite form usted)
  16. AMARIANA said:

Wink Translate Sentence To Spanish Please

I want to be with you untill the day i die
    and I would give up my friends and everything for you
    thats how much I love you

citlalli said:

Quiero estar contigo hasta el d&#237;a en que muera, y dejar&#237;a a mis amigos y todo por ti, eso es lo mucho que te amo.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  18. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Quiero estar contigo hasta el día en que muera, y dejaría a mis amigos y todo por ti, eso es lo mucho que te amo.
    why would it not be "me muero" in this situation?

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    why would it not be "me muero" in this situation?
    Because the "me muera" shows uncertainty as to when she'll die, so the
    subjunctive (I think that's what it's called) is used.

Tucumana88 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Because the "me muera" shows uncertainty as to when she'll die, so the
    subjunctive (I think that's what it's called) is used.
    That's correct, good explanation