Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

damarys said:

I always come here late.... I miss all the translations. BUT, you guys all do such an awesome job... I'm learning.

The term "Jurar a la bandera" is used here in the US as a translation for pledging the flag, or pledging alliegence to the country.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Here in Spain we use this expresion when volunteer and drafted people
    are doing the military service. Btw, conscription was ended in Spain around 1990.
    ohh ok... I think is that what he meant to say.. thanxs Xiurell
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by aromafresco View Post
    woow thank you so much citlalli. you're great
    Thanks!.... you're welcome

@Damarys: I love ur new avatar
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Thanks!.... you're welcome

@Damarys: I love ur new avatar
    Thanks!! That's Ava Gardner.
  5. BAGurl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    ohh ok... I think is that what he meant to say.. thanxs Xiurell
    in Argentina, and in most countries in Latin America, "jurar bandera" o "hacer el juramento a la bandera" is an oath taken around the age of 10, most likely done in school, were you swear your loyalty to the flag and the country and take the oath to defend them at all costs
    if you play your cards right... everything's gonna be alright
  6. BAGurl said:

here's the text

and may I add, that when I was in school, they changed the words at the end (in the past you were supposed to answer "Yes, I swear" and then was swapped by the actual "Yes, I promise"), even though, nowadays kids don¡t really pay much attention to it, it used to be a pretty nice ceremony when I did it, although I think that at the age of 9-10 you're a little to young to understand the meaning of the whole thing

"Alumnos: la Bandera blanca y celeste - Dios sea loado- no ha sido jamás atada al carro triunfal de ningún vencedor de la tierra.
    Alumnos: esa bandera gloriosa representa la patria de los argentinos.
    Prometéis rendirle vuestro más sincero y respetuoso homenaje; quererla con amor intenso y formarle desde la aurora de la vida un culto fervoroso e imborrable en vuestro corazones; prepararos desde la escuela para practicar a su tiempo con toda pureza y honestidad las nobles virtudes inherentes a la ciudadanía; estudiar con empeño la historia de nuestro país y las de sus grandes benefactores a fin de seguir sus huellas luminosas y a fin también de honrar a la Bandera y de que no se amortigüe jamás en vuestras almas el delicado y generoso sentimiento de amor a la Patria.
    En una palabra, prometéis hacer todo lo que esté en la medida de vuestras fuerzas para que la Bandera argentina flamee por siempre sobre nuestras murallas y fortalezas, a lo alto de los mástiles de nuestras naves y a la cabeza de nuestras legiones y para que el honor sea su aliento, la gloria su aureola, la justicia su empresa"
    Los alumnos puestos de pie y extendiendo el brazo derecho hacia la bandera, contestarán:

"SÍ, PROMETO"
    if you play your cards right... everything's gonna be alright
  7. sweetrentina said:

Default trans?

ok i want to trans this:

I love you. You are the best. You have my heart. I will love you forever if you let me. You have me, always and forever. If you want me... I hope you feel the same

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrentina View Post
    ok i want to trans this:

I love you. You are the best. You have my heart. I will love you forever if you let me. You have me, always and forever. If you want me... I hope you feel the same
    Te amo. Tú eres el (la=female) mejor. Tienes mi corazón. Te amaré por siempre, si me dejas (me lo permites). Me tienes, por siempre y para siempre. Espero que sientas lo mismo
  9. aromafresco said:

please help me friends thank you

" I just read an article you wrote about this poem. Thank you for your nice words and greetings from here. have a nice day"

Zahra2008 said:

please help me friends thank you

" I just read an article you wrote about this poem. Thank you for your nice words and greetings from here. have a nice day"
    Acabo de leer un artículo que escribiste acerca/sobre este poema. Gracias por tus lindas/amables palabras y saludos desde aquí. que tengas un buen día
  11. aromafresco said:

Red face

Mucho gracias Zahra and and and please help me again

" You are very nice person. Thank you for your message. It made me very happy.I hope you and your family are well.Take care of yourself. kisses and hugs para ti amiga. "

Persiana said:

Mucho gracias Zahra and and and please help me again

" You are very nice person. Thank you for your message. It made me very happy.I hope you and your family are well.Take care of yourself. kisses and hugs para ti amiga. "
    Tu eres una persona muy buena. Gracias por tu mensaje. Me hizo muy alegre. Espero que tu y tu familia esten bien. Cuidate. Besos y abrazos para ti amiga.

Zahra2008 said:

just a little thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Persiana View Post
    Tu eres una persona muy buena. Gracias por tu mensaje. Me hizo muy feliz. Espero que tu y tu familia esten bien. Cuidate. Besos y abrazos para ti amiga

and you're welcome aromafresco!!
  14. aromafresco said:

thank you again for your helps. you're so kind and i need a help again but it's short

"yes, it's really beautiful. Flamenco is like a passion.My blood is boiling. words are insufficient to explain. Thank you for a nice video"
  15. MaresLejanos said:

"yes, it's really beautiful. Flamenco is like a passion.My blood is boiling. words are insufficient to explain. Thank you for a nice video"

Sí, es realmente hermoso. Flamenco es como una pasíon. Mi sangre hierve. Las palabras no son suficiente para explicarlo. MUchas gracias por el precioso video.

No se me ocurre otra traducción para "nice" en este caso

Zahra2008 said:

just a tinny thing:

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post

Sí, es realmente hermoso. Flamenco es como una pasíon. Mi sangre hierve. Las palabras no son suficientes para explicarlo. MUchas gracias por el precioso video.

No se me ocurre otra traducción para "nice" en este caso
    well, in this case you can also use:

muchas gracias por el lindo video

xiurell said:

Pues a mí me suena raro no poner artículo "el flamenco"
    Otro sinónimo de "nice" podría ser "bonito"

Qué tengáis un buen fin de semana niñas
  18. MaresLejanos said:

Me comí la "s" en suficientes y comí "El" antes de flamenco , creo que debería estar menos hambrienta cuando escribo acá jajajajaja

En resumidas cuentas queda:

Sí, es realmente hermoso. El flamenco es como una pasíon. Mi sangre hierve. Las palabras no son suficientes para explicarlo. MUchas gracias por el precioso video.

Buen fin de semana niños y niñas

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    When a friend hasn't been around lately and you send them a message to say: "where did you go?!" not to mean literally, what place did you go to - but more like, why are you gone? Wherever did you go? How is that said and will a spanish speaker understand that context?
    Well, in Mexico we'd say "¿En dónde te has metido?" to express that idea, and yes, it conveys exactly the same connotation as what you explained
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  20. MaresLejanos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    When a friend hasn't been around lately and you send them a message to say: "where did you go?!" not to mean literally, what place did you go to - but more like, why are you gone? Wherever did you go? How is that said and will a spanish speaker understand that context?
    "¿Dónde has estado?" or "¿Qué has estado haciendo? " or "¿Dónde estuviste?"

I think the first one could be better (Dónde has estado = where have you been), but let the other write other options