Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

AnnaFoster said:

[QUOTE=citlalli;712577]Is "It has been a long time since..."
    ha sido mucho tiempo desde... not quite right grammatically speaking (because of the verb), but understandable
    ha pasado mucho tiempo desde... yes. Another variation would be: "hace mucho que...

"hace mucho que...." doesn't need 'tiempo' or 'desde'? Not necessarily. It's possible to say for instance "Hace mucho que no te veía." But if you turn around the same sentence, then you need "desde" (you can say or omit "time"): "No te veía desde hace mucho (tiempo)."

Ok, I'll have to concentrate on this one for awhile.

Also, is this correct? "Tomorrow my cousin arrives." Mañana, llega mi prima.

"Sunday I can still see you." El domingo puedo verte todavia. / El domingo aún puedo verte.
  2. MaresLejanos said:

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaFoster View Post

Also, is this correct? "Tomorrow my cousin arrives." Mañana, llega mi prima.

"Sunday I can still see you." El domingo puedo verte todavia. / El domingo aún puedo verte.
    Both are correct, but in the one with "todavía", it sounds better for me "El domingo todavía puedo verte" (the word "todavía" in the end is correct gramatically, but I feel it more natural with "todavía" before the verb "poder").

And yet, "aún" sounds for me better than "todavía".. However, both are correct
    "La tolerancia de los ideales ajenos es virtud suprema en los que piensan." - José Ingenieros

AnnaFoster said:

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post
    Both are correct, but in the one with "todavía", it sounds better for me "El domingo todavía puedo verte" (the word "todavía" in the end is correct gramatically, but I feel it more natural with "todavía" before the verb "poder").

And yet, "aún" sounds for me better than "todavía".. However, both are correct
    I was hesitant to use aún because it was a text message so I wasn't able to use an accent and I think aun is a different word. I'm still a little confused about the differences between todavia, aún and aun. haha.

I makes sense what you said about the placement of todavia. Thanks!

Does this say "I think that this time the tamales are going to turn out better for you."
    Creo que esta vez te van a salir mejor los tamales.

And would this be "I think that this time the tamales are going to turn out better."
    Creo que esta vez van a salir mejor los tamales. (without te). ?

citlalli said:

Good morning all!!

Does this say "I think that this time the tamales are going to turn out better for you."
    Creo que esta vez te van a salir mejor los tamales. Yes

And would this be "I think that this time the tamales are going to turn out better."
    Creo que esta vez van a salir mejor los tamales. (without te). ? Yes

I want to say two little things: 1. Now I fancy a tamal too &2. Your Spanish is really good!!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

AnnaFoster said:

I want to say two little things: 1. Now I fancy a tamal too &2. Your Spanish is really good!![/QUOTE]

Me too! And thank you so much!

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!

don't tell me that you havn't had a problem or feelings for someone but did not know what you felt because i did feel something for you i don't know if it was a little crush or something that faded away but i didn't know what i felt and i didn't know how to tell you that and i didn't want to break your heart either because i am gentle with guys so do not get mad at me
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

AnnaFoster said:

Default Help translating some texts

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help translate some texts. For the most part, I have a good idea of what they say, but there are little pieces that either really pull it together or change the meaning slightly so I'd love some expert feedback!

There may be some typos. And of course, the texts are lacking accents. I'll put in parenthesis what I think the word is. I'll also put what I think it says and the part that confuses me in parenthesis. This way, if I get it right, there's no need to type it out.

"Porque me paroo (paró) y como no traigo licencia me la quitaron."
    Because they* stopped me (and like?) I don't have a license they took it. *la policia

"Pero no va a ver problema con...." (I left the rest of this sentence out on purpose)
    But it's not going to (see?) a problem with.....

"Segun me paro (paró) porque me movi (moví) 2 veces dentro del carril."

"Si yo se (sé) que deberia haber ido, pero el hubiera no existe."
    Si I know that I should have gone, but

"Me alegra que asi sea porque el esta mal en usa."

THANKS!

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    Translation!!

don't tell me that you havn't had a problem or feelings for someone but did not know what you felt because i did feel something for you i don't know if it was a little crush or something that faded away but i didn't know what i felt and i didn't know how to tell you that and i didn't want to break your heart either because i am gentle with guys so do not get mad at me
    No me digas que nunca has tenido un problema o que has sentido algo por alguien pero sin estar seguro de lo que sentías, porque yo sí sentí algo por ti; no sé si fue amor o solo algo que se desvanecio; no sabía lo que sentía ni cómo decirtelo; y tampoco quería romperte el corazón porque soy amable con los chicos; así que no te enojes conmigo.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by annafoster View Post
    hello, i was wondering if someone can help translate some texts. For the most part, i have a good idea of what they say, but there are little pieces that either really pull it together or change the meaning slightly so i'd love some expert feedback!

There may be some typos. And of course, the texts are lacking accents. I'll put in parenthesis what i think the word is. I'll also put what i think it says and the part that confuses me in parenthesis. This way, if i get it right, there's no need to type it out.

"porque me paroo (paró) y como no traigo licencia me la quitaron."
    because they* stopped me (and like?) i don't have a license they took it. *la policia
    In this case, "y como" would translate as "and since/ and as ..."

"pero no va a ver problema con...." (i left the rest of this sentence out on purpose)
    but it's not going to (see?) a problem with.....
    It's a spelling mistake; it should be "pero no va a haber problema con..." (but there's not going to be a problem with...)

"segun me paro (paró) porque me movi (moví) 2 veces dentro del carril."
    I'm not sure if you wanted this to be translated; but just in case here you go: According to this, he stopped me because i moved twice inside the same lane."

"si yo se (sé) que deberia haber ido, pero el hubiera no existe."
    si i know that i should have gone, but "should have" doesn't exist. (This means that it's pointless to keep thinking about something that could/should have been but which for any reason turned out/ ended in a different way.

"me alegra que asi sea porque el esta mal en usa."
    I'm glad it's like that, since he's not fine in the US.

thanks!
    :d
  10. MaresLejanos said:

"Porque me paró y como no traigo licencia me la quitaron."
    Because they* stopped me (and like?) I don't have a license they took it. *la policia: the police is correct and about like, I'm not sure if "like" or "as", because I'm not sure which one of them goes in English in this case

"Pero no va a haber problema con...." (I left the rest of this sentence out on purpose)
    But there is not going to be a problem with..... (It's normal in people to write "va a ver" instead of "va a haber", it's very wrong, but very common in people to write this well... like writing fast without think first, thinking a little it's easy to know that "ver" makes not sense!!!...)

"Según (él/ella*), me paró porque me moví 2 veces dentro del carril." (the police who stopped him/her).
    According to them, they stopped me bacause I've moved twice in the rail (rut/lane???)

"Si yo sé que debería haber ido, pero el hubiera no existe."
    Yes, I know that I should have gone, but I know that "I should have..." doesn't exists (like excusing for haven't gone, "hubiera doesn't excuses me")...

"Me alegra que así, sea porque él esta mal en usa."
    I'm happy it's this way, because he's not fine in (the) USA.
    "La tolerancia de los ideales ajenos es virtud suprema en los que piensan." - José Ingenieros
  11. MaresLejanos said:

I think we I started editing my post before you posted

citlalli said:

lol... ... besitos para ti hasta el otro lado del mundo :-*

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation !!

son unos manes ke se estan metiendo con mi viejaY no Me dejan trankilo me kieren madriar

Zahra2008 said:

Translation !!

son unos manes ke se estan metiendo con mi viejaY no Me dejan trankilo me kieren madriar
    are some guys that are messing up with my girl, and dont let me alone, they want to kick me/figth with me
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!

don't worry i got your back and so do my homies we got this just tell me where you live and we will go fight them and kill them if they try to do anything to you or your girlfriend

citlalli said:

Translation!!

don't worry i got your back and so do my homies we got this just tell me where you live and we will go fight them and kill them if they try to do anything to you or your girlfriend
    No te preocupes, yo y mis cuates te cuidaremos la espalda, nomás dime en donde vives y nosotros vamos y peleamos con ellos, y los mataremos si tratan de hacerles algo a ti o tu novia.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation !!

osea hasme un giro y lo retiro aka..ami nombre

citlalli said:

Translation !!

osea hasme un giro y lo retiro aka..ami nombre
    I. e. you make a money transfer/ bank draft and I'll withdraw it here... (make it payable) to my name.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation !!

No te dije tengo el ojo un poco inchado

Me brincaron el sabado

AnnaFoster said:

Ok then, on a lighter note, how do I say "Who am I to judge a tamale?? I grew up in Montana." lol

I got it!
    Last edited by AnnaFoster; 04-19-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Figured it out