Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelbuns View Post
    Are both of these correct?

Estoy feliz que estás aquí.

Estoy feliz de que estés aquí.

I don't know why one would use one instead of the other. Why one is de que and the other is just que and why estés is used after de que instead of estás.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
    Difficult question, let's see...

First the verb after the "que" must be in subjunctive

Estoy feliz que estés aquí
    Estoy feliz de que estés aquí

In Spanish a lot of people makes this mistake (de+que) we call it "dequeismo"

To know if the prepositon "de" is correct and is not a "dequeismo" substitute the subordinate clause for the word "esto", "esta cosa", etc

Estoy feliz "esto"
    Estoy feliz de "esto"

Which one is the correct?

Estoy feliz de "esto"
    so is not a "dequeismo"

The correct sentence is "estoy feliz de que estés aquí"
    Because the verb "estar feliz de" goes always followed by the preposito "de"

It helps to make a question, if the preposition is needed, its use is correct

¿De qué estoy feliz? correct
    ¿Que estoy feliz? incorrect (It has no sense)

I hope it helps
  2. Angelbuns said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Difficult question, let's see...

First the verb after the "que" must be in subjunctive

Estoy feliz que estés aquí
    Estoy feliz de que estés aquí

In Spanish a lot of people makes this mistake (de+que) we call it "dequeismo"

To know if the prepositon "de" is correct and is not a "dequeismo" substitute the subordinate clause for the word "esto", "esta cosa", etc

Estoy feliz "esto"
    Estoy feliz de "esto"

Which one is the correct?

Estoy feliz de "esto"
    so is not a "dequeismo"

The correct sentence is "estoy feliz de que estés aquí"
    Because the verb "estar feliz de" goes always followed by the preposito "de"

It helps to make a question, if the preposition is needed, its use is correct

¿De qué estoy feliz? correct
    ¿Que estoy feliz? incorrect (It has no sense)

I hope it helps

Thanks - I'm sure it's a really good explanation but I don't get it. For one, I don't know what "de que estoy feliz?" even says. Is it "what am I happy about?" It can't be why am I happy because wouldn't that be Porque estoy feliz?

Is 'estar feliz' ALWAYS followed by de? What about "Estoy feliz acerca de esto." Doesn't that correctly say "I'm happy about this." without 'de' after feliz?

Estoy feliz de esto. Does that say I'm happy about thist? 'De' in this case is 'about'? I wouldn't have known. And if Estoy feliz de esto is correct, then I wouldn't know to add que when saying Estoy feliz de que estés aqui.

And does the subjunctive ALWAYS follow 'de que'? Because I know subj. doesn't always follow just 'que'.

Anyway, I do so appreciate that you took the time to explain this. Even if it didn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by Angelbuns; 07-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.
  3. Angelbuns said:

Question for Citlalli and Zahra:

In your regions of Mexico, do you use apetecer reflexively?

Se me apetece un café. OR Me apetece un café.

?

Muchas thanks!
  4. Angelbuns said:

Question

Can someone make 3-4 sample sentences using BASTAR in the same way as GUSTAR? I can't figure it out and haven't found enough examples for bastar online.

Zahra2008 said:

Question for Citlalli and Zahra:

In your regions of Mexico, do you use apetecer reflexively?

Se me apetece un café. OR Me apetece un café.

?

Muchas thanks!
    Hello darling, well I dont know in Citlalli's regions but here at the north, is not very common to use or to heard that word.. instead we use:

se me antoja un café

or

quiero un café

me apetece un café //this one is the correct
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!
  6. Angelbuns said:

Cool, thanks Zahra! What city/state are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    Hello darling, well I dont know in Citlalli's regions but here at the north, is not very common to use or to heard that word.. instead we use:

se me antoja un café

or

quiero un café

7. Erito said:

Hey I don't know if this will be useful for you but here in El Salvador and central america ... no I think in latin america everyone says the both sentences that Zahra said. I've heard "apetecer" on spanish tv and they use that word not only with food for example

Te apetece ir conmigo? / would you like to go with me?

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post

se me antoja un café

or

quiero un café

Same here!!

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Zahra2008 said:

Cool, thanks Zahra! What city/state are you in?
    I live in Baja California Norte -North ... but I grow up in Sinaloa

x0babiigirlx0 said:

translation!!

ok mami lo q pasa es q mi pajina se me aruino quiero q me envites tu travieso
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    translation!!

ok mami lo q pasa es q mi pajina se me aruino quiero q me envites tu travieso
    ok mami/girl/sweetie what happens is that my website is ruin/doesnt work, I want that you invite me, your naughty

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Translation!!

so did you buy your new phone yet? because you told me last night that you were going to buy it today and you promised me so lets see if you kept your promise or not because if you really cared about me you would
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    Translation!!

so did you buy your new phone yet? because you told me last night that you were going to buy it today and you promised me so lets see if you kept your promise or not because if you really cared about me you would
    ¿Y ya te compraste un nuevo telefono? porque anoche me dijiste que lo ibas a comprar hoy, y me lo prometiste; y ahora quiero ver si cumpliste o no tu promesa, ya que si realmente te importo si la habrás cumplido.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  14. Talby said:

Spanish to english;

"Me atrevo afirmar que desde que acabaron de filmar has aprovechado para tomar sol o un buen moreno de piel (nice tan?) , se nota en las ultimas fotos del comic.con! estoy en lo correcto?"

gracias^^

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Talby View Post
    Spanish to english;

"Me atrevo afirmar que desde que acabaron de filmar has aprovechado para tomar sol o un buen moreno de piel (nice tan?) , se nota en las ultimas fotos del comic.con! estoy en lo correcto?"

gracias^^
    "I'd dare say that upon finishing filming you've been lying in the sun to get a nice tan, it's noticeable in the latest pictures of comic.con! Am I right?"

A nice tan=un buen bronceado

VivaPalestina said:

Hello I have a question, when do I change the o to an a for gender? Like rojo/roja, is it a noun thing??

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Hello I have a question, when do I change the o to an a for gender? Like rojo/roja, is it a noun thing??
    Yes
    Noun and adjective must agree in gender and number

VivaPalestina said:

Just to double check (our grammar is atrocious!!)

Example:

noun: trabajo/trabaja??
    Adjective: Descriptive word? Bajo/baja??

VivaPalestina said:

Dont laugh Cici...I have a feeling I said something really really stupid....

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Just to double check (our grammar is atrocious!!)

Example:

noun: trabajo/trabaja??
    Adjective: Descriptive word? Bajo/baja??
    Hola chiquita

Inanimate and abstract nouns don't change gender:
    -la mesa (the table)
    -la tristeza (the sadness)
    -la inteligencia (the intelligence)
    -el amor (the love)

But animate nouns do change gender:
    -el niño/ la niña
    -el león/ la leona (the lion/the lioness)
    -el maestro/ la maestra (the [male] teacher / the [female] teacher)
    -el estudiante/ la estudiante (the [male] student/ the [female] student)

In your example, "trabajo" is something abstract, so it doesn't change gender, ie it's el trabajo always.

And yes, adjectives describe nouns: alto, bajo, gordo, flaco, audaz, rápido, tonto, amable, etc.