Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Oooh another new word to learn But what does it mean hermosa?
    hermosa=beautiful=gameela
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

dragonfly93 said:

And the last paragraph

3. "De su hermana Alicia
    "From his sister Alicia
    Que el es un buen muchacho hermano y todos sus hermanos lo queremos aca con nosotros porque aqui esta toda su familia y el no puede estar en Mexico solo el no conoce porque tiene mucho tiempo aqui y muy chico se vino para aca yo soy su hermana y se que es un buen hijo hermano trabajador responsable y lo necesitamos con nosotros aqui y como es el mas chico de toda la familia es el bebe de mama.
    That he is a good kid brother, and all his siblings want him here with us because the whole family is here and he can't be alone in Mexico--he doesn't know because he's been here a long time and when he was very young he came here. I am his sister and know that he's a good son and brother, hardworking, responsible and we need him with us here and since he's the youngest of the family he's our mother's baby.
    lo extana quiere verlo aqui con nosotros convivir todos con mama y papa porque somos una familia unida y el nos hace falta mama dice en casa falta uno y es Edgar pero es verdad el lo necesitamos cerca de nosotros porque el no tiene a donde llegar a vivir ahora y una opcion no es Mexico. Mexico vive de pura violencia, robos, drogas y pandillas al irse el a Mexico puede entrar a pandillos porque el solo alla ni quien le aconseje le diga no hagas eso, eso no es bueno para ti. Alla los leyes no se cumplen como aqui el estar mejor aqui con la familia.
    I miss him and want to see him here with us all living together with Mom and Dad because we're a united family and without him we feel like we're missing something. Mom told us our house is missing one person and it's Edgar but it's true we need him near us, because he has nowhere to go to live, and Mexico is not an option. In Mexico, pure violence, robberies, drugs and gangs thrive. Upon arriving in Mexico, he could enter a gang because he's alone there and has no one to tell him dont do this, this isn't good for you. There the laws aren't like here and it's better to be here with family.

Su esposa tendria una mejor vida aqui en Estados Unidos el no puede ir solo se pierde No conoce muy bien lo tiene con quien llegar todos estamos aca su familia y pronto tendria un hijo y es mejor que se quede se los pedimos de favor por favor escuchen estas palabras lo necesitamos aqui para un futuro mejor para el y su esposa y hijo.
    Esto es todo ojala y escuchen nuestras palabras lo necesitamos atentamente su familia y yo soy su hermana y se que es un buen muchacho y dejenlo quedarse. Gracias"
    His wife has a better life here in the US, he can't go alone--he'll only get lost. He doesn't know well anyone to go with. All of his family is here and soon he'll have a son and it's best that he stay here. We beg you to please grant us this favor, listen to these words--we, his family, need him here for a better future with his wife and son.
    This is all, God willing, and listen to our words, that we need him greatly--his family, and I am his sister and know that he's a good kid, so let him stay. Thank you."

Sorry, Zahra already translated all of this!!
    but I can still use the practice, and you can get two slightly different ways of translating

gracias a Karlita
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

dragonfly93 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Because in Spanish there are two variants for "you" (plural):

1. The Latin American one "ustedes". The verb "to be" in this case is: (Ustedes) son.

2. The Spanish one "vosotros". The verb "to be" in this case is: (Vosotros) sois.

... but Jordi is only one bloke, so in this case it's not "sois", but "eres"

Don't the Spaniards also use Vosotros for a formal (if Jordi were an elder or an important figure)?

"Señor Presidente, sois muy alto."

.:BiLLiE:. said:

Thank you all so much! D
    .:BiLLiEhDz:.

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by .:BiLLiE:. View Post
    Thank you all so much! D
    welcome ... and I hope everything goes well

dragonfly93 said:

Ya Noor, didn't you know the Spain-variant of Spanish is commonly called Castillian to differentiate between that and the Latin-American type?

They often call it "castellano" in spanish, as well

Want to learn some random words?

y/e - and: Tierra y cielo (earth and sky); alto e inteligente (tall and smart--e is used before a word beginning with an i because it sounds better).

o/u - or: Ésto o eso (this or that), egoísta u orgulloso (selfish or proud--u is used in front of words beginning with o for the same reason why e is in front of i).

Con - with

En - in, on (this depends on the sentence): En la clase (in the class), en la mesa (on the table).

Sobre - on, physically on top of or on the topic of: sobre la mesa (on top of the table), la prueba sobre la física (the test on the topic of physics).

De - of, from (this depends also): el agua del mar (the water from the sea), soy de los EEUU (I'm from the US), la mesa es de madera (the table is made of wood).

I will teach more later
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 10-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

And Billie, sorry for my delay, especially on the last part, but you're welcome, and nice to meet you! I believe I have seen you around here before
  8. Erito said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Ya Noor, didn't you know the Spain-variant of Spanish is commonly called Castillian to differentiate between that and the Latin-American type?

They often call it "castellano" in spanish, as well

Want to learn some random words?

y/e - and: Tierra y cielo (earth and sky); alto e inteligente (tall and smart--e is used before a word beginning with an i because it sounds better).

o/u - or: Ésto o eso (this or that), egoísto u orgulloso (selfish or proud--u is used in front of words beginning with o for the same reason why e is in front of i).

Con - with

En - in, on (this depends on the sentence): En la clase (in the class), en la mesa (on the table).

Sobre - on, physically on top of or on the topic of: sobre la mesa (on top of the table), la prueba sobre la física (the test on the topic of physics).

De - of, from (this depends also): el agua del mar (the water from the sea), soy de los EEUU (I'm from the US), la mesa es de madera (the table is made of wood).

I will teach more later
    Egoísta (it doesn't change with gender)

citlalli said:

Don't the Spaniards also use Vosotros for a formal (if Jordi were an elder or an important figure)?

"Señor Presidente, sois muy alto."
    Quite frankly, I don't know I think Xiurell is the best suited to answer this...
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  10. Erito said:

well citlali I think that is a correct form but is no longer in use because I watch a tv serie in TVE and I've seen sois in some sentences when they are talking with the king or someone from the royalty

for example ... "sois vos" but it's a serie about spain of the XVI century

by the way I like the serie, remember TVE sundays 8:30PM gmt-6 - 9:30PM mexico. you can also watch the episodes on the webpage rtve.es

bye

And Billie, sorry for my delay, especially on the last part, but you're welcome, and nice to meet you! I believe I have seen you around here before
    I have been around awhile, off and on and everyone here has been incredibly helpful! I appreciate so much your time and talents!

Question More letters..

Here are three more letters that I need translated for our court case if someone could please help.. You all have been a valuable part of helping me and I could never put into words my appreciation! *Big Hugs* and BIG THANKS to all of you!
    On a personal note.. I don't know how you all feel about U.S immigration laws, and I'm not one to argue politics. (usually ) But as you can probably tell from these last few letters, we're going thru a difficult time. My daughter Elena (her father is Mexican) is 18 and married to Edgar. She's expecting their first baby in March and he is in a holding facility in Georgia waiting to see if he'll be able to come back to her or go to Mexico where he knows noone. His mom and dad are both legal, and he's been here since the age of 8. I really don't know how he fell thru the cracks, but we've got a lawyer helping us. Edgar's 22 and he grew up here; went to school here.. As you can tell he and Elena are both lonely and scared. I just wanted to let all you here who help me know that you are doing a tremendous favor and we all appreciate it. ♥

[1." Hola Baby. Primeramente como estas? Espero que bien. Yo estoy bien y extranando a todos pero espesialmente a ti. Y que te platica de mi? Yo estoy bien. No tengo mucho que decirte solo aqui en este lugar donde me traen de aqui para aya donde no conosco a nadie pero ya voy entendiendo un poco.
    No esta mal esta un poco mejor que en los otros lugares porque tan siquiera puedo salir a afuera. Mi unico problem es estar tan lejos de ti. Extrano estar ansioso esperando para que se llegue sabado y levantarme y alistarme para esperar tu visita.
    Pero por que se que me amas no me preocupo ohala asi sea para siempre. Ay momentos de angustia y tristesa y e llorado pero tu me ases seguir y continuar. Miro los fotografias y me lleno de recuerdos y se que Dios esta con nosotos y no nos abandonara y sabes me he tratado de asecarme a Dios escuchando cuando predican la palabra y orando y le doy gracias por aberte conocido y pre aberte puest en mi camino a ti por todo lo que as echo por mi, gracias amor. A ti por aber echdo de mi una persona ciferente te amo con todo mi corazon. Creo que eso es todo lo que tengo que decirte por a hora.
    Y como estan todos espero que bien. Y diles a todos que los extrano y que los quiero."

2. Hola Amor. Otro dia mas fue un dia muy triste sabes hoy me dieron ganas de llorar sabes hoy en la manana me desperte por que tube una pesadilla con mi hermana.
    Despues mi alegria fue que por mprimera ves able con mi mama ablamos por un rato y preguntando de uno por uno todos estan bien me alegro y gracias a Dios. Despues able contigo amor y no te escuche feliz hoy no fue como las otras veces pero estoy feliz por que escuche to vos y se que mi familia esta bien pero triste porque los necesito. amor "te necesito" y sabes estos pasados dias conoci un neuvo amigo pero como siempre tiene qu suseder ayer se fue para Mexico. Y es algo que no puedo explicar porque es triste la despedida pero me da alegria porque se van con su familia y tengo otro amigo pero ya muy pronto se va eso es un alegria para todos porque todos quremos salir y ver a la familia de cada uno y salir de aqui. Pero sabes que si ami me llegaran a llevar a Mexico me separarian de mi familia eres tu pero eso no va a suseder amor. Otro dia mas y esta manana me desperte con un dolor de cabeza y aunque estado tomando pastillas no se me quita, despues trate de llamarte y no podria era hora de ir a la cafeteria a comer e en camino pensaba entre mi y me sentio solo. Al fin logre(?) hablar contigo unos minutos y con solo escuchar tu vos me iso cambiar. Tu eres mi alegria mi todo amor.. y bamos a dejar la tristeza sabes ya comense a dibuja asi me paso las horas y pensando en ti amor. A las once del dia es la hora de dalir afeura y hago un poco de ejercicio. Ya pasaron dos dias hoy este amigo me pidio un favor me dijo que si le podia aser un dibuja y ya se lo estoy aciendo ya llebo todo el dia y creo que eso es todo y tu amor que as echo espero que estes bien y toda mi familia. Manana le voy a escribir a mi mama."

3. " hola amor primeramente gracias a Dios por todo por tenerte como mi esposa y una hermosa madre para mis hijos sabes eres una mama muy sexy. Amor sabes todo esto por lo que estoy pasando es lo mas dficil y triste que puede uno pasar pero chaparrita mil gracias por estar conmigo cada dia que pasa yo aqui enserrado por no dejarme solo y para seguir adelante. Sabes has echo de estos dias los mas felises de mi vida primero me llegaron tus fotos y sigues igual y mas hermosa amor quiciera poder abrasarte y tocarte y no puedo esperar por ese dia eres la mama mas sexy del mundo y por tus palabras me ases seguir adelante amor.
    Y hoy recivi tu otra carta y las de abigael es una nina hermosa como tu amor gracias por todo.
    Y de tu GED no te preocupes por que yo so que tu ere muy intelijente y lo vas a pasar recerda que yo estare siempre a tu lado y aslo por mi y abigael
    y de mi no tengo nada que contarte estos dias lo misno solo me la paso dibujando y pensando en ti y recuerda que te amo con todo mi corazon. Cuidate y cuida a nuestra hija Abigael. Las amo y a toda mi familia .

dragonfly93 said:

1." Hola Baby. Primeramente como estas? Espero que bien. Yo estoy bien y extranando a todos pero espesialmente a ti. Y que te platica de mi? Yo estoy bien. No tengo mucho que decirte solo aqui en este lugar donde me traen de aqui para aya donde no conosco a nadie pero ya voy entendiendo un poco.
    No esta mal esta un poco mejor que en los otros lugares porque tan siquiera puedo salir a afuera. Mi unico problem es estar tan lejos de ti. Extrano estar ansioso esperando para que se llegue sabado y levantarme y alistarme para esperar tu visita.
    "Hey baby. Firstly, how are you? I hope you're well. I'm fine and miss all of you, but especially you. And how do you talk about me? I'm fine. I don't have much to say to you; only here in this place where they brought me from here to there where I don't know anyone but I already am understanding a little.
    It's not bad--it's a bit better than in other places because I can even go outside if I want. My only problem is being in places too far from you. It's weird (I miss?) being anxious waiting for when Saturday arrives and getting up and getting ready to wait for your visit.

Pero por que se que me amas no me preocupo ohala asi sea para siempre. Ay momentos de angustia y tristesa y e llorado pero tu me ases seguir y continuar. Miro los fotografias y me lleno de recuerdos y se que Dios esta con nosotos y no nos abandonara y sabes me he tratado de asecarme a Dios escuchando cuando predican la palabra y orando y le doy gracias por aberte conocido y pre aberte puest en mi camino a ti por todo lo que as echo por mi, gracias amor. A ti por aber echdo de mi una persona ciferente te amo con todo mi corazon. Creo que eso es todo lo que tengo que decirte por a hora.
    Y como estan todos espero que bien. Y diles a todos que los extrano y que los quiero."
    But why do I know you love me,? I don't worry--thank God--and it will always be this way. There are times of anguish and sorrow and I've cried...But you keep me going. I look at the photos and I'm filled with memories and I know God's with us and won't abandon us and you know I've tried to (asecar?) myself to God listening when the Word predicts and praying and giving Him thanks for having met you and for having you in my path (of life)--for everything you've done for me, thank you, my love. To you, for having made a different person out of me, I love you with all my heart. I believe that is all that I have to say to you for now.
    And how's everyone? I hope well. And tell them all that I miss them and love them."

Zahra2008 said:

1." Hola Baby. Primeramente como estas? Espero que bien. Yo estoy bien y extranando a todos pero espesialmente a ti. Y que te platica de mi? Yo estoy bien. No tengo mucho que decirte solo aqui en este lugar donde me traen de aqui para aya donde no conosco a nadie pero ya voy entendiendo un poco.
    "Hey baby. Firstly, how are you? I hope you're well. I'm fine and miss all of you, but especially you. And how do you talk about me? I'm fine. I don't have much to say to you; only here in this place where they brought me from here to there where I don't know anyone but I already am understanding a little.
    It's not bad--it's a bit better than in other places because I can even go outside if I want. My only problem is being in places too far from you. I miss being anxious waiting for when Saturday arrives and getting up and getting ready to wait for your visit.

But because I know you love me I don't worry--hopefully it will always be this way. There are times of anguish and sorrow and I've cried...But you keep me going. I look at the photos and I'm filled with memories and I know God's with us and won't abandon us and you know I've tried to approach/get close myself to God listening when they preach the Word and praying and I thank Him for having met you and for having you in my path (of life)--for everything you've done for me, thank you, my love. To you, for having made a different person out of me, I love you with all my heart. I believe that is all that I have to say to you for now.
    And how's everyone? I hope well. And tell them all that I miss them and love them."
    just some tiny things

Zahra2008 said:

2. Hola Amor. Otro dia mas fue un dia muy triste sabes hoy me dieron ganas de llorar sabes hoy en la manana me desperte por que tube una pesadilla con mi hermana.

Hi my love, another day, was a very sad day, you know today I wanted to cry, you know, in the morning I woke up 'cause I had a nightmare with my sister

Despues mi alegria fue que por mprimera ves able con mi mama ablamos por un rato y preguntando de uno por uno todos estan bien me alegro y gracias a Dios. Despues able contigo amor y no te escuche feliz hoy no fue como las otras veces pero estoy feliz por que escuche to vos y se que mi familia esta bien pero triste porque los necesito. amor "te necesito" y sabes estos pasados dias conoci un neuvo amigo pero como siempre tiene qu suseder ayer se fue para Mexico.

then my joy was that for first time I talk with my mom, we talked for a while and asking of one by one all are well I'm glad and thank God. Then I talk with you love and I didn't hear you happy, today was not as before but I'm happy to listen to you and I know my family is fine but sad because I need them. My love "I need you" and you know these past days I met a new friend but like always happens, yesterday he went to Mexico

Y es algo que no puedo explicar porque es triste la despedida pero me da alegria porque se van con su familia y tengo otro amigo pero ya muy pronto se va eso es un alegria para todos porque todos quremos salir y ver a la familia de cada uno y salir de aqui. Pero sabes que si ami me llegaran a llevar a Mexico me separarian de mi familia eres tu pero eso no va a suseder amor. Otro dia mas y esta manana me desperte con un dolor de cabeza y aunque estado tomando pastillas no se me quita, despues trate de llamarte y no podria era hora de ir a la cafeteria a comer e en camino pensaba entre mi y me sentio solo. Al fin logre(?) hablar contigo unos minutos y con solo escuchar tu vos me iso cambiar. Tu eres mi alegria mi todo amor.. y bamos a dejar la tristeza sabes ya comense a dibuja asi me paso las horas y pensando en ti amor.

And it's something that I can not explain why it's sad the farewell but it gives me joy because they are going with his family and I have another friend but he is leaving very soon, that is a joy for everyone because all want to go out and see the family of each and get out of here. But you know that if they take me/ send me to Mexico they would separate me from my family, that is you but that won't happen my love. Another day and this morning I woke up with a headache and I've not been taking pills but doesn't help, then I tried to call you and could not cause it was time to go to the cafeteria to eat and on the way I thought I felt lonely. Finally I can/managed to talk with you a few minutes and only hearing your voice made me change. You are my joy my everything my love .. and leave the sadness you know I started to draw, like this/so I spend hours and thinking of you love

A las once del dia es la hora de dalir afeura y hago un poco de ejercicio. Ya pasaron dos dias hoy este amigo me pidio un favor me dijo que si le podia aser un dibuja y ya se lo estoy aciendo ya llebo todo el dia y creo que eso es todo y tu amor que as echo espero que estes bien y toda mi familia. Manana le voy a escribir a mi mama."

At eleven o'clock is the time to go outside and do some exercise. Two days have passed and now this friend asked me a favor told me if I could draw a picture and I'm already doing all day and I think that is all and love you've done? I hope you are well and all my family. Tomorrow I will write to my mom

3. " hola amor primeramente gracias a Dios por todo por tenerte como mi esposa y una hermosa madre para mis hijos sabes eres una mama muy sexy. Amor sabes todo esto por lo que estoy pasando es lo mas dficil y triste que puede uno pasar pero chaparrita mil gracias por estar conmigo cada dia que pasa yo aqui enserrado por no dejarme solo y para seguir adelante. Sabes has echo de estos dias los mas felises de mi vida primero me llegaron tus fotos y sigues igual y mas hermosa amor quiciera poder abrasarte y tocarte y no puedo esperar por ese dia eres la mama mas sexy del mundo y por tus palabras me ases seguir adelante amor.

hello love, first thank God for all, for having you as my beautiful wife and as mother to my children know you're a sexy mama. My love you know all this stuff I'm going through is the most difficult and sad that one can pass but little one thanks for being with me every day that passes enclosed/in jail here, for not leaving me alone and to move forward. You know you've made these the happiest days of my life first came to me like your photos and you still the same, more beautiful and I would love to hold you and touch you and I can not wait for that day, you are the sexiest mama in the world and your words make me keep going my love

Y hoy recivi tu otra carta y las de abigael es una nina hermosa como tu amor gracias por todo.Y de tu GED no te preocupes por que yo so que tu ere muy intelijente y lo vas a pasar recerda que yo estare siempre a tu lado y aslo por mi y abigael y de mi no tengo nada que contarte estos dias lo misno solo me la paso dibujando y pensando en ti y recuerda que te amo con todo mi corazon. Cuidate y cuida a nuestra hija Abigael. Las amo y a toda mi familia .

And today I received your other letter and from Abigael is a beautiful girl like you love thanks for everything. And about you GED don't worry cause I know you are very smart and you will pass/sucess, remember that I'll be always by your side and do it for me and Abigael and I have nothing to tell these days are the same I just spend my time drawing and thinking of you and remember that I love you with all my heart. Take care and care for our daughter Abigael. I love you and my whole family

Zahra2008 said:

Here are three more letters that I need translated for our court case if someone could please help.. You all have been a valuable part of helping me and I could never put into words my appreciation! *Big Hugs* and BIG THANKS to all of you!
    On a personal note.. I don't know how you all feel about U.S immigration laws, and I'm not one to argue politics. (usually ) But as you can probably tell from these last few letters, we're going thru a difficult time. My daughter Elena (her father is Mexican) is 18 and married to Edgar. She's expecting their first baby in March and he is in a holding facility in Georgia waiting to see if he'll be able to come back to her or go to Mexico where he knows noone. His mom and dad are both legal, and he's been here since the age of 8. I really don't know how he fell thru the cracks, but we've got a lawyer helping us. Edgar's 22 and he grew up here; went to school here.. As you can tell he and Elena are both lonely and scared. I just wanted to let all you here who help me know that you are doing a tremendous favor and we all appreciate it. ♥
    I know these moments are so sad for you and your family, and I really wish you all the best .... and I'm glady to help at least somewhat

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    I know these moments are so sad for you and your family, and I really wish you all the best .... and I'm glady to help at least somewhat
    Thank you so much Zahra! You don't know how much it means to me, and you help alot! And thank you dragonfly as well. I couldn't ask for better people to do this for me and again I appreciate it so very much!

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't know I think Xiurell is the best suited to answer this...
    The use of the 2nd plural form (vosotros) as formal way is very old-fashioned, nowdays is used only to addres to a person in a high social position a king, the pope, a president

ex. sois un rey generoso

You can hear this usage in fairy tales, etc it sounds very old-fashioned

I found a quote from Don Quijote (which is not exactly old Spanish):

¿También vos, Sancho, sois de la cofradía de vuestro amo?

dragonfly93 said:

Thank you so much Zahra! You don't know how much it means to me, and you help alot! And thank you dragonfly as well. I couldn't ask for better people to do this for me and again I appreciate it so very much!
    You're welcome, I try

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    The use of the 2nd plural form (vosotros) as formal way is very old-fashioned, nowdays is used only to addres to a person in a high social position a king, the pope, a president

ex. sois un rey generoso

You can hear this usage in fairy tales, etc it sounds very old-fashioned

I found a quote from Don Quijote (which is not exactly old Spanish):

¿También vos, Sancho, sois de la cofradía de vuestro amo?
    He aprendido algo nuevo hoy Gracias y ojala estés teniendo un buen domingo
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.