Polish lesson & grammar

Thread: Polish lesson & grammar

Tags: None

katie386 said:

Default Polish lesson & grammar

hello everybody i wonder is there any website where i can learn by myslef Polish language ? 4 years ago i started to learn but i gave up (coz of too hard grammar)

2. Nena89 said:

hi Katie! mm.. You wrote you had given up learning so I guess you know some basic rules anyway, I hope this website will help you with learning http://free.of.pl/g/grzegorj/gram/gram00.html
    just enjoy the grammar
    by the way, in my opinon it's bloody difficult

katie386 said:

thank You so much
    yes i knw some basic words/phrases but Polish grammar damn so so hard to understand .. anyway ths time i wont give up so easily

pippirrup said:

Sorry, Nena89, but one could be bored to death trying to learn polish from the site to which you've posted a link. This http://grzegorj.w.interia.pl/kurs/0.html can be useful, although in this tutorial there are some extremely weird and useless words
    remember 'bout adding to my reputation;>

katie386 said:

so maybe You Pippirrup know any good website wth polish grammar and useful words etc ??

patryszja said:

Hi Katie, I tried to find some useful sites where you can learn a bit of Polish and I guess they might be quite useful I wish you luck 'cause grammar can drive you crazy, but don't give up

http://www.skwierzyna.net/learn_polish.htm

http://www.polishgrammar.com/ here you can test your grammar, I like the prepositions and verbs parts

http://www.digitaldialects.com/Polish.htm here you can learn words in interesting way, I thinks such games are better than lists of vocabulary

if you find a site with vocabulary it'll be better if you first post it here 'cause there a lot of sites full of stupid mistakes and I'm sure you don't want to learn words which simply don't exist
    Smoking is my only vice

7. anhp said:

Hi!
    I think this site will help you so much with your vocabulary http://www.internetpolyglot.com/

8. sizr_sistr said:

Default "you" formal

Hi. could someone quickly explain the way it is 'you' formal in polish. i can already speak macedonian which is helpful for some things but not this!
    i understood its the same word for 'sir'/'madam'
    so its like Jak ma sie Pan / Pani ?
    but what do you do if its not the subject?... and then is there only one plural for masc and femin? = panstvo ?

I saw you? I gave you something? can i ask You a question... etc.

dziekuje!

patryszja said:

I'm quite lame at rules of Polish grammar so I'll translate only your questions

Pan - Sir, Pani - Madam, plural form - Państwo
    Jak sie Pani/Pan ma?

you always use Pan/Pani or Państwo when you want to talk to someone older you don't know

I saw you should be I saw you Madam/Sir in polish: Widziałam/em Panią/Pana
    I gave you sth Madam/Sir - Dałam/em coś Pani/ Panu
    Can I ask a question - Czy mogę zadać Panu/Pani pytanie?

you don't have to use capital letters, you can write pan/pani and it will be formal
    but remember it's just my native speaker's point of view ;P
    Last edited by patryszja; 01-31-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Smoking is my only vice

10. sizr_sistr said:

thanks patryszja the other interesting thing i'm learning now is how polnoc/poludnie/wschod/zachod is north/south/east/west and also midnight/noon/sunrise/sunset... confusing but fun!

btw is it true that you can say 'czy widziales' or 'czys widzial'
    do people speak like that or is it just in books?

skr said:

Quote Originally Posted by sizr_sistr View Post
    btw is it true that you can say 'czy widziales' or 'czys widzial'
    do people speak like that or is it just in books?
    There's nothing incorrect in "czyś widział", but it would be quite odd to talk like that. But it sounds good in poems

crazytofik said:

Quote Originally Posted by sizr_sistr View Post
    btw is it true that you can say 'czy widziales' or 'czys widzial' do people speak like that or is it just in books?
    Yea, "czyś widział" is quite archeic, just like "czy żeś widział" ... "czy widziałeś" is in common use
    София, Пловдив, Варна, Бургас, чалга до дупка - купона е при нас.

Gustaw said:

What a shame no one is learning Polish any more...

"Czyś widział" is correct, a bit archaic, OR expressive (e.g. "Coś ty zrobił!?" vs. "Co zrobiłeś?" - the 1st one is a looot more expressive).

"Czy żeś widział" is unfortunately and simply a language error, so don't use it at all.

dragonfly93 said:

Only one page??

I feel bad, and besides, I have some Polish dictionaries that I don't have use for, so might as well learn a bit. Gustaw, would you care to teach me some basics?
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

Gustaw said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Only one page??

I feel bad, and besides, I have some Polish dictionaries that I don't have use for, so might as well learn a bit. Gustaw, would you care to teach me some basics?
    Of course, with pleasure!

Maybe at the beginning you should learn how to read the letters. After that, we could concentrate on how to join them.

a - like, say, Italian or Romanian a
    ą - similar to the nasal o, something like the French -on in Gaston for ex.
    b - normal b
    c - ts, but together
    ć - for now, let's say it's like the English tch, though pronounced a lot more softly than the cz
    cz - almost like the Englich tch
    d - normal d
    dz - d + z pronounced together
    - d + ż pronounced together
    - d + ź pronounced together
    e - almost like the English e in ten
    ę - this is a very tricky one, let's say that it's pronounced like nasal e (a little like the French -in in matin, but veery often like en, em..., and at the end of words - always like normal Polish e.
    f - normal f
    g - g like in goose
    h and ch - nowadays no difference between the two - like the Romanian h
    i - like the Romanian i, unless... but we'll get to it later.
    j - short i, like in Yale, for instance
    k - normal k, like in Kent
    l - normal l
    ł - its apperance is confusing, since nowadays nobody (except old people from the former Eastern Poland, like my grandma, for instance) pronounces it like hard l any more, like in Russian - now it's pronounced exactly like a very short u. So once again: it's not an l of any kind, it's a short u.
    m - normal m
    n - normal n
    ń - hmm, an extremely soft n, exactly like the Hungarian ny, but I suppose this doesn't help you... Try to say ni so fast it'd become one sound - it'll be similar
    o - an open o, similar to the Romanian one
    ó and u - nowadays no difference between the two - like the Romanian u
    p - normal p
    r - normal r
    rz and ż - now there's no difference any more - similar to the Romanian j
    s - normal s
    ś and [b]sz[b/]- here the situation is exatly the same as with ć and cz - the first is softer than the latter, but they're both similar to the Romanian ș or English sh
    t - normal t
    w - like the English v
    y - a difficult one, you should hear it, but quite similar to the Romanian ă
    z - normal z
    ź - again, the difference between this and ż (rz) is that ź is softer.

Now - the difficult vowels are ą, ę, y, and the difficult consonants: cz, ć, dż, dź, ń, rz/ż, sz, ś, ź. It's those sh-tch sounds, as well as the relatively large proportion of consonants that make Polish the "rustling language" it is.

Let's listen to something nice in Polish. Here you can hear a great Polish actor Gustaw Holoubek interpretating one of the greatest Romantic poems by Mickiewicz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V1By25m_NU. And here is the text: http://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Dziady...7_III/Scena_II (he starts reading from the "Ja mistrz!"). Tell me later how you liked it.

P.S. BTW, here's also a nice link: http://grzegorj.w.interia.pl/gram/gram00.html.

Mimi0920 said:

Hello Gustaw!

Thank you/multumesc for your explanations - great language but way too complicated to be pronounced by foreigners I'm a fan of the Polish band Dżem and listening to their songs and reading the lyrics confused me a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Gustaw View Post
    ć - for now, let's say it's like the English tch, though pronounced a lot more softly than the cz
    cz - almost like the Englich tch
    In case you know, is it the same as the Serbian letters Ć and Č? I can't pronounce those either though

Gustaw said:

great language but way too complicated to be pronounced by foreigners
    Hey, I've met Hungarians, as well as one Czech girl, who studied Polish philology, so it's doable! :P
    In case you know, is it the same as the Serbian letters Ć and Č? I can't pronounce those either though
    Unfortunately, I don't know how it's in Serbo-Croatian, so I can't help you...

dragonfly93 said:

Gustaw, here is an explanation of the sounds in Serbo-Croatian...

Č is alveo-palatal, pronounced closer to the teeth than ć. CH as in CHurch.

Ć is palatal, pronounced a bit farther from the teeth than č, further on the roof of the mouth. English speakers should say CH as in CHeap while smiling

Gustaw said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Gustaw, here is an explanation of the sounds in Serbo-Croatian...

Č is alveo-palatal, pronounced closer to the teeth than ć. CH as in CHurch.

Ć is palatal, pronounced a bit farther from the teeth than č, further on the roof of the mouth. English speakers should say CH as in CHeap while smiling
    The scientific classification and the explanation of pronunciation is perfect, though the Polish cz is only similar to the English ch in church. But generally yes, this is it.
    I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland. (Woody Allen)

dragonfly93 said:

And what about the dz, dź, dż, which ones are farther back in the mouth, and which are closer to the teeth?