Arvanitaki Eleftheria & Co. - Siko Xorepse Koykli Moy (Baby, Get Up And Dance)*

Thread: Arvanitaki Eleftheria & Co. - Siko Xorepse Koykli Moy (Baby, Get Up And Dance)*

Tags: None

tzina772000 said:

Asikikos --> leventikos

and according to an on-line dictionary it would be "corker" . This is one of the words that cannot be fully translated in English.

and yeap koukli mou is like saying koukla mou, so my babe sounds fine.

pedraria, the original version from Kazantzidis says xava, and there exists a third version "ton asikiko skopo" (skopos == xavas)

Tahira said:

Thank you very muich Tzina for your help.

Now I know we have at home the version with "skopo".

Now there comes something into my mind, in old greek songs they sometimes use arabic words (Like habibi, dunya, leleli and so on.

Xava = Hava could be also of arabic origin in this case. It means Air, I also know it as a description/synonym for Love.

I do not want to star a new discussion, just leave it here as another suggestion; I guess the general meaning of the song is clear.

PaulScirylehtlla said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tahira View Post
    I do not want to star a new discussion, just leave it here as another suggestion; I guess the general meaning of the song is clear.
    No Tahira, starting a new discussion will be perfect, is what I want, discovering new things about music and linguistics is my pleasure. So give me all your advices and corrections, people...
    Ex Oriente Lux!

tzina772000 said:

another example on how we use the word xava alternatively

και εσύ τον χαβά σου (ke esi ton xava sou) --> and you continue doing what you want/ what is in your head

It may come from arab I don't know, but we don't use it with the arab sense of the word. For habibi and yaleleli (not just leleli) they are parts of a song that as far as I know it's an old arab song that in the chorus was saying yahabibi yaleleli.

Most of the words that you may find of arab origin in our language, were taken from the turks and not directly from the arabs.

Tahira said:

Hi Tzina, ths eong I have in mind with habibi/lelili is also Kazantsidis, I think. At least its from the same time periode.

ya habibi, ya leleli, chorepse mou tsifteteli,
    eisai koukla arapina (=?)
    mia pe........
    I mana pou se geneisai
    itane tsingana...

I just wrote the lyrics out "from my head" as far as I remember them.

I am very sure, that these words are arabic origin. But no wonder, Egypt Lebanon, Turkey all states are nearby and close to the mediterranien sea and so the people did make business among each other for many many hundred years.

For example the song "Ta mavra matia sou" (Aggelopoulos) is very very famous in egypt its called nibtidi min kaya and was composed by Mohamed Abdel Wahab. At least I htink he was the composer. I have only found a very pure version of this song in youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJyhWRWW664
    There is a very strong interaction between arabic and greek music, I think. And I like this combination very much.

6. pedrarias said:

The word χαβά comes certainly through turkish “hava” meaning “air, weather, climate, wind, ambiance” from arabic “hawa =air, climate ; love, affection; ... etc (the primary sense of the verb hawA being “drop, fall”, it seems not easy to give a full story of the word in question) .The meaning “melody” is already turkish , see
    http://www.sozluk.web.tr/index.php?l...r&word=melodie
    maybe through the influence of french “air”, which means both (french was once an important cultural language in tha Balkans and in ottoman “high society”)
    As to “habibi”= “my beloved” or “yaleleli” <”ya layly” “oh my night” there is no doubt about the direct arabic origin of these expressions, they (among others) are very common as “filling words” in many arabic songs. But the themes “greek or balkanic words of turkish origin” and “mutual influences of arabic and greek music” would give materials for a very big forum each. Just the two lines alluded to by Tahira
    Είσαι κούκλα μου τσαχπίνα, μια φελάχα αραπίνα
    Γιαχαμπίμπι, γιαλελέλι, χόρεψέ μου τσιφτετέλι
    has in addition to “habibi” and “layla” the arabic word “felax” (peasant) and the turkish “çifte telli”(double stringed) and çapkın “vagabond, rascal”.
    And to add a puzzling example to Tahiras “ta mavra matia sou” --”nbtidi min kaya” I remind you of Xaroulas “ftanei, ftanei,ftanei” (I zoi mou kiklous kanei) which you can hear as a piece of one of Abd el Halim's songs (Hawel teftekerni, I think) where “tani, tani, tani “ -same melody, (almost) same word- means, “second, second, second”!

Tahira said:

Thank you very much vor this interesting background information.

I have to admit that I didn´t know this Abdel Halim song, but I just checked it at youtube.

I knew also about the "relationsship of the words" ciftetelli and fellahi (flahos).

If you have more details to this topic.... my ears are wide open!

I find this very very interesting.

Greetings from Germany
    Tahira