Cajun Music Translations

Thread: Cajun Music Translations

Tags: None
  1. devildoll said:

Default Cajun Music Translations

Hi, my husband and Iwill soon be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary with a big party. We want to play some cajun music as a lot of his family is cajun. A CD called Cajun Dance Favorites - 16 Selections was referred to me so I bought it. All of the songs are in French/Cajun and neither my husband or I speak or understand it. I have been scouring the web for translations and have only found a few. I wouldn't worry about the rest, but the translation for the song Jolie Blonde is about the man's lover running away and knowing that I don't really want to play it at my anniversary party, lol. I was wondering if there was anyone that knew of a site where I can find the lyrics and translations for the songs or if anyone knew the songs on the cd and could give me the translations. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. nicoloco said:

Default Cajun

Hi,

got three Cajun albums by La Touche, Veneable,Kermitt&Beaubassin (lovely typical cajun name that litteraly means "beautifull pool") and Allen Fontenot, some of there song are in Cajun French which differs thouroughly from French spoken in France or in my hometown (Geneva). I can also check through the net, give me a reference and I can find the lyrics.

Got a girl friend who plays drums in a Cajun band here (precisely they depict themselves "power cajun" a mix between traditional with a hint of bluesy punk attitude. I can ask her. Btw check for Mama Rosin for their music

Nico

3. nicoloco said:

Default Jolie Blonde

I made a transcription of what I found on a scanned sheet of paper

Jolie Bonde, jolie fille, tu m'a quitté pour t'en aller
    (lovely blond, lovely girl, you left me to go away)
    T'en aller, jolie blonde avec un autre
    (To go awy, lovely blond, with another)
    comment tu crois que je vais faire à présent
    (I do you think I'm gonna do now)

Jolie blonde, j'me suis saoulé toute la nuit
    (lovely blond, lovely brat, I got drunk all night long)
    tout ta nuit, jolie mom', avec les autres
    (all night long, lovely brat, with the others)
    comm' tu m'connais, ça m'fait du mal à jongler
    (as you know me, it's getting hard for me to think)

Jolie blond', jollie fille, t'es partie, oui pour longtemps
    (lovely blond, lovely girl, you're gone, yes, for a long time)
    N'aie pas peur, jolie môme, qu'j'sois dans le malheur
    (don't be afraid, lovely brat, that I might be doomed)
    oh P'tit' fille, mais y'a pas qu'toi dans l'pays
    (oh, li'l girl, but you're not the only one in the land)

Jolie blond', jolie fille, tu m'a quitté pour t'en aller
    (lovely blond, lovely girl, you left me to go away)

Note; jongler (to juggle) means "to think" only in North American French

Just in case the chords of the song (G7/C/G/G7/D/D7G then G7/C/D7/G/G/D7/G)

nico

4. maxlopez73 said:

Default Cajun Translations

I just recently got a great book with translations and pronunciations of this era cajun music (the stuff from cajun dance party) by Ann Savoy. Its a great resource... here is the website http://annsavoy.com/shopcajunmusicbook.html....

it is a little skimpy on both later stuff and creole stuff like boozoo chavis, the Ardoin Family (though it has a very few Amede selections), The Delafose family, etc. If any one knows word to the following songs I would be more than grateful!

Midland Two step
    Valse A Austin Ardoin
    Two Step De Prairie Soileau(Quo Faire)
    Jolie Catan
    Last Dance Waltz
    Blues de Basile

or anything else!