Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Orwa said:

@LHL

أطفئ النور means turn off
    أشعل النور means turn on

Quote Originally Posted by LHL
    and how do you say ' Look at me' and ' are you all (pl/ms) lebanese? in Fus7a- the two are two different statements.
    I didn't understand what's the question here.., could you explain more!!

أنا أشاهد هذا البرنامج is I am watching this program
    You're right!!

I am changing this program إنني أغير هذا الرنامج
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIE View Post
    to classify that we are going to do something or something is located in some place such as : الطاقية بل حمام (the hat is in the bathroom)
    in this sentence (بل ) means IN
    or lets say "I want to go to sleep " بدي انام
    in this one (ب) means in the near future
    I hope that helps a little, like I've said earlier I'm not a teacher but I do my best.
    Excuse me, what is this بل thing here..
    first let's write the sentence in correct way الطاقية بالحمام and the correct way to say that the hat in the bathroom is الطاقية في الحمام i.e. using fi instead of bi and I'm sorry to tell you that بل is completely wrote (basically بل is حرف عطف يفيد الإضراب) and has nothing to do with in meaning.

and for بدي is one word and can't be partitioned into ب and دي simply because دي alone means nothing.
    and بدي (the whole word) means gives the meaning of near future and means I want to or I intend to do in non-fus7a (Sham countries dialect) which meets أريد in Fus7a
    لا يَشْكُرُ الله مَنْ لا يَشْكُرُ النَّاس
    The One Who Doesn't Thank Others, Doesn't Thank God

Orwa said:

@Orieeeeeeeeita, Actually i'll just comment on Louie's first sentence.., الطاقية بالحمام is right and we say it actually instead of في, in Syrian we say
    وين الطاقية؟
    الطاقية بالحمام

I have never said الطاقية في الحمام
    but it's right toooo , they are both right...!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by LHL View Post
    I forgot one more thing. أنا أشاهد هذا البرنامج is I am watching this program... right? thn what is ' I am changing this program'? l am guessing- Ana badalto hatha el-barnamaj... right or wrong?
    light could mean also ضوء
    change means both يبدل & يغير
    بدلت القناة is past
    to make futrue always make sure that you used one of these letters which are gathered in one word أنيت
    for example:
    أنا ألعب
    هو يلعب
    هي تلعب، أنتَ تلعب، أنتِ تلعبين
    نحن نلعب.... إلخ

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    Look, the all past sentence words are right.. and the first sentences also was right.., but for the present words i don't know how to explain the difference between the examples because we really use them both

for example :

إنت بتسافر لوحدك؟ do you travel alone??
    إنت بتعرف تكتب do you know how to write?
    أنا احكي معهم؟ i talk to them??
    إنتوا بتحكو مع بعض you're talking together
    إنتو إحكو وأنا رايح نام you talk and i'll go to sleep
    هو بيحكي عن نفسه he talks about himself
    هو يحكي وأنا أسمع he talks and i listen

as i mentioned.., i don't know how to explain why we use both of them.., sorry
    Present tense
    I talk - a7ki احكي / ba7ki بحكي
    I talk بحكي talk to (order) E7ki إحك
    You talk(m) - ta7ki تحكي / bti7ki بتحكي, enta bti7ki in fact I think it depends on the situation and bi is used to ask a question
    You talk (f) - ta7ki تحكي/bti7ki بتحكي ... same as bove
    He talks - ya7ki يحكي / by7ki بيحكي
    She talks - ta7ki تحكي / bta7ki بتحكي
    We talk - na7ky نحكي / mni7ki منحكي or bni7ki
    You talk - ta7ku تحكوا / bti7ku بتحكوا
    They talk - ya7ku يحكوا / by7ku بيحكوا

My options were the opposite of yours

ORIEEEE, that example hard for me to explain what's the difference between the examples (Bte7ky & ye7ky), so could you or anyone help her..

Past tense
    I talked – 7akeet حكت حكيت
    You talked – 7akeet حكت حكيت male
    You talked – 7akeeti حكتي حكيتي femle
    He talked - 7aka حكى
    She talked - 7akat حكت
    We talked – 7akena حكنا حكينا
    You talked – 7aketu حكتوا حكيتوا
    They talked – 7aku حكوا

Orwa why you dropped حرف الياء

Quote Originally Posted by amira7 View Post
    That is my problem. I don't know when I can use the present form without -b (e.g.: a7ki) and when I can use the present form with b+ (e.g.: ba7ki)..
    7arf al-ba2 mostly added when experssing the present tnese (and you're not ordering someone)
    ana b7ki... ana bl3ab.... ana baktob
    howe bi7ki... bil3ab... biktob
    heya bti7ki... btil3ab... btoktob
    e7na bni7ki... bnil3ab.. bnoktob
    hommeh biko.. bil3abo... boktobo
    (in present either when I or we do the action and when using what is called in arabic ضمير الغائب, i.e when talking about someone)

but in
    enta bti7ki... enta btoktob... enta btil3ab
    enti bti7ki... enti btil3abi... enti btil3abi
    ento bti7ko...btil3abo... btoktobo
    Here you're either asking a question (are you doing, or do you do) or you're sth like warning someone.

That's what I could say now, and if anything had come into my mind I'll tell you

Oriee said:

@Orieeeeeeeeita, Actually i'll just comment on Louie's first sentence.., الطاقية بالحمام is right and we say it actually instead of في, in Syrian we say
    وين الطاقية؟
    الطاقية بالحمام

Yes, both bi el7mam and fi el7mam are correct but I was going to die when I saw it written as بل حمام
    it is بالحمام as you wrote it

in fact we use both

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Yesssss, null problemo ya gameel the same happens in other languages

Thanks for your remark and your tip anyway قبلة كبيرة من ألمانيا
    I got another example for the word رب in the meanign of سيد, it is in sorat Yousuf, Aaya (verse) 50:
    "وقال الملك ائتوني به فلما جاءه الرسول قال ارجع إلى ربك فاسأله ما بال النسوة اللاتي قطعن"
    (111: 50)

LOUIE said:

Quote Originally Posted by Oriee View Post
    Excuse me, what is this بل thing here..
    first let's write the sentence in correct way الطاقية بالحمام and the correct way to say that the hat in the bathroom is الطاقية في الحمام i.e. using fi instead of bi and I'm sorry to tell you that بل is completely wrote (basically بل is حرف عطف يفيد الإضراب) and has nothing to do with in meaning.

and for بدي is one word and can't be partitioned into ب and دي simply because دي alone means nothing.
    and بدي (the whole word) means gives the meaning of near future and means I want to or I intend to do in non-fus7a (Sham countries dialect) which meets أريد in Fus7a
    I was just trying to explain that theres no difference between bel or fi thats all. so don't give me a lecture on my own language cause I know it very well, and I even speak Jordanian do you what that means ? it means that we have words that no one in the whole middle east could find a meaning for.
    ?? ???? ?? ????? ????? ?????? ? ??? ??????? ???? ?????

LOUIE said:

وين الطاقية؟
    الطاقية بالحمام

and when you find the hat what do you guys say? شحو شحو

Orwa said:

@Orieeeeta, i didn't drop the ي, but i noticed that she wrote them right in the en-ar letters, so i was sure she know them.., that's why i didn't want to confuse her , but you're ABSOLUTELY right
    btw, i am a little bit confused between Oriee & Orwa in posts.., your nickname & my name are sooooo the same, uffffffff

@Louie, Ehm, Noooooooo, Jordanian, Syrian & Palestinian are totally the same.., we all nearly have the same words.., just little difference in how to pronounce them.., so, don't worry, WE know ALL Jordanian words (I think), but give us some examples so we can test ourselves

And by the way, بسوريا بنقول شحو ، بس بما إنه الطاقية مؤنث بنقول شحها
    actually i am not SUPER syrian to say such a word.., but i know what it means!

Thanks again..., and no worries, since you were explaning to a native speaker so it doesn't a matter how you wrote the words

LOUIE said:

@Orieeeeta, i didn't drop the ي, but i noticed that she wrote them right in the en-ar letters, so i was sure she know them.., that's why i didn't want to confuse her , but you're ABSOLUTELY right
    btw, i am a little bit confused between Oriee & Orwa in posts.., your nickname & my name are sooooo the same, uffffffff

@Louie, Ehm, Noooooooo, Jordanian, Syrian & Palestinian are totally the same.., we all nearly have the same words.., just little difference in how to pronounce them.., so, don't worry, WE know ALL Jordanian words (I think), but give us some examples so we can test ourselves

And by the way, بسوريا بنقول شحو ، بس بما إنه الطاقية مؤنث بنقول شحها
    actually i am not SUPER syrian to say such a word.., but i know what it means!

Thanks again..., and no worries, since you were explaning to a native speaker so it doesn't a matter how you wrote the words
    well, you think that you do but really when you go to the ghetto you can't even understand a word. like this word (عقافة) or (اتجقمن)، (اقظب) any idea what it means ? lol
    Last edited by LOUIE; 06-13-2009 at 12:47 AM.

LOUIE said:

oh you have to pause between the aleef an F in the word and make sure you say it with a manly voice so you get the feeling of this B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. word lol

LOUIE said:

I told you Jordanian is NOT easy, it takes a long time to adjust to Jordanian accents. if you need to know what those three words mean you just let me know.
  14. amira7 said:

pls help-me with these in jordanian and syrian dialect: ( in arabic and english letters) Thanks

a clean house
    spring cleaning
    general cleaning

I clean
    he cleans
    I cleaned
    He cleaned

I cleaned my house today.
    You (sg f) should have cleaned your room today.

I wash dishes
    He washes disches
    I washed disches
    He washed disches

I wash clothes
    I wash laundery
    She washes laundery
    I washed laundery
    he washed laudery

I wash the floor
    I wash carpets

I remove dust
    I removed dust
    He removed dust

I must remove the dust from your room and then I will wash my car.

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jihan View Post
    hey, can somebody help me with the correction of the following...I'm unsure if I translated it properly from English to Arabic...

When you stand in front of me and look at me
    What do you know about the pain within me
    And what do I know about yours.
    And if I prostrated in front of you and cried and talked
    What would you know more about me than about hell
    When somebody tells you that it is hot and horrible
    That’s why we should stand in front of each other as reverent, as meditative
    As (if we stood) in front of hell’s gate

عندما تقف أمامي وتنظر إليّ
    ماذا تعرف عن الأوجاع فيّ
    وماذا أعرف عن أوجاعك؟
    ولو أسجد أمامك وأبكي وأقص
    ماذا تعلم عني أكثر من تعلم عن الجهنم
    عندما شخص يقص أنّه ساخن ورهيب
    لذلك لنقف أماماً تبخيلياً وفكّيراً كأمام باب الجهنم

Thanks in advance
    First you did a really great job, but you need a little more effort so you become an expert

If you may me, I'll suggest you other synonyms for some words.

عندما تقف أمامي وتنظر إليّ
    ماذا تعرف عن الأوجاع فيّ or you can say instead of أوجاع: ألم أو آلام, and instead of فيّ: في داخلي
    وماذا أعرف عن أوجاعك؟ ofcourse if you choose to change to other synonyms of pain, then I suggest you complete with the same word.
    وإذا ما سجدت أمامك وبكيت وتكلمت
    فماذا ستعرف عني أكثر مما تعرفه عن الجحيم if you choose to use jahannam instead of ja7eem, then you don't need to use أل التعريف so you'll say جهنم
    عندما يخبرك شخص ما أن ذلك شديد ورهيب
    لهذا يجب أن نقف أمام بعضنا البعض بتوقير وتأمل كما لو كنا (نقف) أمام بوابة جهنم or الجحيم

I did my best dear friend.

Oriee said:

[QUOTE=Orwa;609704]@Orieeeeta, i didn't drop the ي, but i noticed that she wrote them right in the en-ar letters, so i was sure she know them.., that's why i didn't want to confuse her , but you're ABSOLUTELY right
    QUOTE]

LoooL, Yes one may read wrong, but never mind, not a problem
    I like your name from the first time I saw it, I feel it's real Arabic name, eventhough it's not common or may be old, but I like name like yours

Ok, then I appologize Orwa, may be that's because I'm pessimestice more than you and supppose that our learner friends don't kow, or may be think it's not important.
    if we imagined that we are teaching in a real centre then I wouldn't pass by these little mistake without correction...

Ofcourse evry one has his way of thinking.

Orwa said:

@louie, well, every accent has some wired words and some little people use it only, and actually there's no any Syrian word comes to my mind right now, but when I think I will tell you

I don't know what these words mean, and I don't care because there's also same as them in Syrian and I don't used to say them

@Orietaaa, nah, people always think my name is for a girl 'arwa', especially Egyptian people, but that's their problem not mine, I love my name as it is now

Eheheh, I think we are not useful to be teachers, we are just native speaker and god give us the ability to speak this language, and no problem if we can share it to people, but I am sure you may be a real teacher
  18. Jihan said:

I am a little bit confused about the last sentence...what means "in front of each other" in Arabic?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Jihan; 06-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jihan View Post
    I am a little bit confused about the last sentence...what means "in front of each other" in Arabic?

Edit: saw that I forgot something in the last sentence, it should be "that's why we humans should stand in front of each other..."

And can somebody tell me how to translate the following sentence:

<<Truly we are lost like children that went astray in the forest>>

Thanks in advance
    infront of each other: أمام بعضنا البعض
    that's why we humans should stand in front of each other..."
    لذا بجب علينا نحن البشر أن نقف أمام بعضنا البعض
    You can use لذا أو لهذا أو لذلك

<<Truly we are lost like children that went astray in the forest>>
    حقًا إننا تائهون كأطفال ضلوا الطريق في الغابة

Oriee said:

@Orietaaa, nah, people always think my name is for a girl 'arwa', especially Egyptian people, but that's their problem not mine, I love my name as it is now

Eheheh, I think we are not useful to be teachers, we are just native speaker and god give us the ability to speak this language, and no problem if we can share it to people, but I am sure you may be a real teacher
    Oh thank you very much for your nice compliment, but I really hate to be a teacher, unless I'm teaching Arabic to non-Arabic speakers...

Yes absolutely true, عروة و أروى are very similar names in pronounciation.
    But as I told your name is very very nice.