Enough For Now (The Fray)

Thread: Enough For Now (The Fray)

Tags: None
  1. dilbert said:

Default Enough For Now (The Fray)

I will start by saying I am new here. I read over a few topics and it looks like this will be a good place for me to check out once and a while. I am the kind of person that has to understand what the lyrics are talking about in order to like a song. I drive my wife nuts with it.

I have been reading the lyrics and have been listening to this song but I just don't quite get it. I understand a little bit of what it is talking about but I there are parts of it that don't make sense to me. I will put the lyrics below. I hope someone out there likes this song too and can help me out a little. Thanks in advance

The daughter's father watches, quietly we assume
    He's not longer with us but he left this dusty room
    In your name and it’s an honor, it’s a shame but it’s your honor
    Take it on your shoulder til you can find another

That's enough for now, he should've never left you broken
    He should've held you, things your father never could do
    That's enough for now, he would've never left you broken
    He would've held you, things your father never told you

The century before you never could turn 21
    Years and years he waited just watching for a son
    For someone to go ahead, take the name he said
    Years and years he waited and a daughter came instead

But that's enough for now, he should've never left you broken
    He should've held you, things your father never could do
    That's enough for now, he would've never left you broken

Breathing comes in pairs
    Except for twice
    One begins and one's goodbye

Sixty years of sorrow he got 5 or 6 of bliss
    Left my mother’s mother without so much as a kiss

But that's enough for now, he never wanted to leave you broken
    That's enough for now, I would've never left you broken
    I would've held you, things your father never could do
    Words your father never told you

Sixty years of sorrow, he got 5 or 6 of bliss
    Left my mother's mother without so much as a kiss
  2. Heavenforbid said:

I basically interpreted it to mean that he was talking about his grandfather and his mothers relationship.

I took the first verse to mean that he thought his grandfather was watching over the family, since he'd passed away hence the 'he's not longer with us'.
    The 'In your name and it’s an honor, it’s a shame but it’s your honor, take it on your shoulder til you can find another' to me, sounds as though he's talking to his mother; and telling her that the surname she inherits from her father should be something to be proud about. But since the whole song seems to be about how the grandfather wasn't perhaps such a good person towards his daughter; that the surname she took from him wasn't so much of an 'honour' as it was a 'shame'.

The chorus looks as though it's the singers way of letting his mother know that her father regretted that he didn't care for her in a way that a father should, and that he was sorry that he 'left her broken'.
    He's saying that he knows he shouldn't have neglected her, and toward the end of his life, he realised it.

In the second verse, I think he's saying that all his grandfather wanted was a son. Someone who would take (and carry on) the family name. Perhaps he didn't want to entertain the thought of having a daughter; someone who he might not be able to relate to as much as he could a boy. The 'Years and years he waited and a daughter came instead' line makes me think that the grandfather instantly resented his daughter as he so badly wanted a son.

The
    'Breathing comes in pairs
    Except for twice
    One begins and one's goodbye'
    to me, means he's saying you begin life by 'breathing in' so to speak, and 'breathing out' at the point of death. It makes sense.

I guess the
    'Sixty years of sorrow he got 5 or 6 of bliss
    Left my mother’s mother without so much as a kiss'
    part could be interpreted as there were '5 or 6' years of bliss at the beginning of his grandfather's marriage to his grandmother before something happened to spark the 'sorrow'. And since the last 60 years of his life were full of 'sorrow' maybe he died in anger, rather than peacefully?

I liked at the end when they changed the chorus a bit to make it so the singer is speaking for himself as well as expressing his grandfather's regrets towards his relationship with his daughter. The 'words your father never told you' is kind of a nice way to almost end the song. It's like he's saying that the woman's father really did love her, and perhaps he just didn't know how to show it properly.

Anyway, thats just my interpretation.