Help please!

Thread: Help please!

Tags: None

DeBaires said:

Default Help please!

I need help figuring out what is being said in a couple of clips.

In the first one, all I can make out is "intamplat" & "ceva" & have no idea what is being said in the 2nd clip. They are talking about "Shuvani" gypsies...so maybe it's not Romanian?

In another clip, which takes place at a funeral, they talk about "pomana" - chairty? Is that a tradition?

I'd appreciate maybe what's being said written out in Romanian & then the translation, if that's at all possible

Mersi anticipat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRm5fQiBW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQPxnZ7veio
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avģe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

2. dya said:

First clip:
    1st line: Ceva teribil s-a īntāmplat--Something terrible happened.

2nd line: Trebuie să-ți povestesc ceva--I need to tell you about something.

Second clip:

I don't understand the first thing she says and repeats it after a while. The second thing she says it's:
    Nu-l lăsa pe el să-mi ia mie puterile--Don't let(allow) him to take away my powers.

The actress is definitely not Romanian therefore the words are not correctly pronounced. that's why you didn't understand

About pomană.... long story short: it has to do with religion and traditions. After the funeral, the family invites everyone including the priest (who holds a sermon to bless the food which is given for the soul of the deceased) at a meal. That meal is called pomană. The same meal repeats at certain intervals with the same significance.

The word is also used when you give something to someone, in the same context, usually food: you give food to a few people on religious holidays, every year on the day someone died. That's again pomană. You give food for the dead person's soul. The religious explanation is that the food you give feeds the person in the after world.

The word has entered the vocabulary with the meaning of for free/nothing:

dau ceva de pomană--I give something for free

așteaptă totul de pomană-- he/she waits everything for free (to receive everything for free)

and a slightly different meaning although the root is the same
    am muncit de pomană-- I worked for nothing (but here the meaning is uselessly)

If you didn't understand or if you have any other questions, I'll answer in the morning

DeBaires said:

Mersi mult pentru tot! Am inteles totoul foarte bine!!!

Poate fi ca cuvantul ce zice ea e pe Romani si nu pe romana?

Cred ca zice "waffediok." Dar fiecare data in care caut acest cuvant, gasesc doar site-uri de acest "show".

Din nou, mersi Dya!
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

4. dya said:

Cu plăcere Da, e posibil sa fie īn romani, nu romānă, sau e īn romānă dar īl pronunță atāt de greșit īncāt nu reușesc să-l īnțeleg!

Cāteva corectări:

Am inteles totul foarte bine!!!

Poate fi ca cuvantul **pe care īl zice ea e īn Romani si nu īn romana?

Cred ca zice "waffediok." Dar de fiecare data cānd caut acest cuvant, gasesc doar site-uri despre acest "show".

** rephrase: Poate că acest cuvānt. In Romanian we avoid to use two words, one after the other, that could form a cacophony. But in romanian, cacophony has a slightly different meaning than in English. It has to do with putting togheter sounds like ca-cu, ca-co, ca-ca (in this order).

For exemple, avoid to say pisica care. Replace it with pisica ce

(caca literally means pooh , so any annexation of two sounds that together can sound close to this word is to be avoided.)

For the moment, this shouldn't be your priority, but I thought you should know about it

DeBaires said:

Thank you for the corrections! (The "totul" was a silly mistake though )

& yes, I've been told before about the cacophony & thanks for reminding me & giving me a precise definition!