Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Macbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 136 Times in 105 Posts

    Default Faroese to English

    Hello

    Can anyone translate these songs for me. Please


    Eivřr Pálsdóttir - Trřllabundin

    Trřllabundin eri eg eri eg
    Galdramađur festi meg festi meg
    Trřllabundin djúpt í míni sál í míni sál
    Í hjartanum logar brennandi bál brennandi bál

    Trřllabundin eri eg eri eg
    Galdramađur festi meg festi meg
    Trřllabundin inn í hjartarót í hjartarót
    Eyga mítt festist har iđ galdramađur stóđ



    Eivřr Pálsdóttir - Elisabet og Elinborg

    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt
    og frřist nú um váriđ.
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar
    hon elskar vakrar litir
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning
    í grasinum hon situr.

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum
    hon málar vakrar málningar
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum.
    Hon málar allar litirnar,
    sum dagurin man eiga,
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt
    og fuglaveingir hvíla
    sólin bjarta svevur nú,
    og mánin fer at skína.
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín
    sum sřgur veit at siga
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg
    og Elisabet Maria.

    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín
    sum sřgur veit at siga
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg
    og Elisabet Maria.


    Thanks, George

  2. #2
    Senior Member lopatka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 101 Times in 71 Posts

    I love her songs! :] Trřllabundin is translated here: (just look at the "more info" of the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwf22R_cLaU
    Ungir kallar, kátir kallar, gangiđ upp á gólv dansiđ lystilig!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Macbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 136 Times in 105 Posts

    Thanks for the tip

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    when it reads "The wizard music holds me fast" I think it means "holds me so that I can't escape". This would be the case, if the Faroese in this respect resembles Swedish
    Last edited by rock 'n' roll in bed; 04-27-2009 at 05:08 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I just wanted to try, I don't really know anything about the language except that it sounds pretty good. I'm just basing my guesses on my limited Swedish

    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little cute Elinborg with the hair of the colour of smth
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely
    og frřist nú um váriđ.
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays among the flowers
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves the lovely "litir" (some kind of animal maybe)
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - such is the portrait of the sunshine queen
    í grasinum hon situr. - and in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria has beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints paintings
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - about smth and foxes?
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the "litir"s
    sum dagurin man eiga, - who/that
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - such is the portrait of the star sun
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - peacefully smth
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - birds rest
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - sun takes a spin
    og mánin fer at skína. - and lets the moon shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - they go their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who sits at their side
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg
    og Elisabet Maria.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Macbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 136 Times in 105 Posts

    Rock 'n' roll in bed

    All I know is English. The song sounds so nice. I just wanted to see what it was about. I was giving up hope for a translation. I want to thank you for
    your efforts to translate it.

  7. #7
    Limited
    Guest

    Quote Originally Posted by rock 'n' roll in bed View Post
    I just wanted to try, I don't really know anything about the language except that it sounds pretty good. I'm just basing my guesses on my limited Swedish

    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little cute Elinborg with the hair of the colour of smth
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely
    og frřist nú um váriđ.
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays among the flowers
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves the lovely "litir" (some kind of animal maybe)
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - such is the portrait of the sunshine queen
    í grasinum hon situr. - and in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria has beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints paintings
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - about smth and foxes?
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the "litir"s
    sum dagurin man eiga, - who/that
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - such is the portrait of the star sun
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - peacefully smth
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - birds rest
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - sun takes a spin
    og mánin fer at skína. - and lets the moon shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - they go their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who sits at their side
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg
    og Elisabet Maria.
    I might be able to do some corrections that I think fit. I am aswell basing this on my swedish. I just copied yours and went on from there, hope it's ok!

    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little cute Elinborg with hair yellow as the sun
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely
    og frřist nú um váriđ. - whereby she froze
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays among the flowers
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves the lovely "litir" (I think litir means something small, and that the lyrics are refering to small animals or something)
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - like a fair queen of sun
    í grasinum hon situr. - in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria with beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints beautiful paintings
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - with (I think its something yellow and red)
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the small ones
    sum dagurin man eiga, - as the day you own
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - like a fair sunstar
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - suddenly so peacefull
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - and the birds are resting
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - the red sun goes to sleep
    og mánin fer at skína. - and lets the moon shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - they make their way to their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who sits at their side
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg - And now little Elinborg is sleeping
    og Elisabet Maria. - along with Elisabet Maria

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Based on my limited knowledge of icelandic, I will make some more corrections and guesses


    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little sweet Elinborg with hair yellow as the sun
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely
    og frřist nú um váriđ. - and enjoys the spring
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays among the flowers
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves beautiful colours
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - like a fair queen of the sun
    í grasinum hon situr. - in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria with beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints beautiful paintings
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - in yellow and red
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the colours
    sum dagurin man eiga, - that the day can have
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - like a fair sunstar
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - Soon it will be calm
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - and the birds rest their wings
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - the bright sun goes to sleep
    og mánin fer at skína. - and lets the moon shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - Then they go to their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who tells them stories
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg - And now little Elinborg is sleeping
    og Elisabet Maria. - along with Elisabet Maria



    If you have listened to the song on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsxipQCZCmI
    you might want to know what she says before she starts singing.

    She speaks in icelandic:

    At home on the faroe islands, I have two very sweet little sisters, who are called Elinborg and Elisabet Maria.
    And one day about two years ago I was on an airplane on my way to Norway and I missed my little sisters very much and... well, I wrote a song on the plane that is called Elisabet og Elinborg.
    Last edited by a1234; 05-01-2009 at 08:31 AM.

  9. #9
    Limited
    Guest

    I think we are getting close to a good translation

  10. #10
    Senior Member Macbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 136 Times in 105 Posts

    My thanks to all who worked on this translation. Additional thanks to a1234 for translating what she said before she started singing the song.

  11. #11
    Carl-Martin
    Guest

    I'm swedish and I've lived in the Faroe Islands - the best time of my life and I hope to get back again. Anyway - there are some small things that you should know about the text:

    "viđ sóljugulum hári" sóljugulum means something is as yellow as a flower you can find in the Faroe Islands in the summer, and I don't know the name for it but I think it is Sulja. So it doesn't mean "as yellow as the sun" but instead "as yellow as [the name of the flower]".

    sóljudrotning = the same there - queen of that flower in the Faroe Islands that I don't remember the name of. Anyway, the flower is really yellow and makes the whole Faroe Islands yellow besides of course, green.

    sólin bjarta svevur nú = The rays of the sun is now asleep. "sólin" = "the sun". "sólin bjarta" = "the rays of the sun"


    Otherwise a very good translation for people who want to know what the text is about!


    Quote Originally Posted by a1234 View Post
    Based on my limited knowledge of icelandic, I will make some more corrections and guesses


    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little sweet Elinborg with hair yellow as the sun
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely
    og frřist nú um váriđ. - and enjoys the spring
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays among the flowers
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves beautiful colours
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - like a fair queen of the sun
    í grasinum hon situr. - in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria with beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints beautiful paintings
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - in yellow and red
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the colours
    sum dagurin man eiga, - that the day can have
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - like a fair sunstar
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - Soon it will be calm
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - and the birds rest their wings
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - the bright sun goes to sleep
    og mánin fer at skína. - and lets the moon shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - Then they go to their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who tells them stories
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg - And now little Elinborg is sleeping
    og Elisabet Maria. - along with Elisabet Maria



    If you have listened to the song on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsxipQCZCmI
    you might want to know what she says before she starts singing.

    She speaks in icelandic:

    At home on the faroe islands, I have two very sweet little sisters, who are called Elinborg and Elisabet Maria.
    And one day about two years ago I was on an airplane on my way to Norway and I missed my little sisters very much and... well, I wrote a song on the plane that is called Elisabet og Elinborg.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Macbard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked 136 Times in 105 Posts

    Hello Carl-Martin

    I thank you for this information. I've seen video's taken on the Faroe Islands.
    It looks like a beautiful place to live. Even though I don't know the language, I like Eivřr's voice and her style of music. Thanks again for a better understanding of this song.
    Wenn man dem Hass freien Lauf läßt, wird er die Seele von innen zerstören.

  13. #13
    Moonderator panselinos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 219 Times in 166 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl-Martin View Post
    "viđ sóljugulum hári" sóljugulum means something is as yellow as a flower you can find in the Faroe Islands in the summer, and I don't know the name for it but I think it is Sulja. So it doesn't mean "as yellow as the sun" but instead "as yellow as [the name of the flower]".
    Buttercup (sólja).

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Lítla sřta Elinborg viđ sóljugulum hári - Little cute Elinborg with marsh marigold colored hair.
    hon syngur og hon dansar frítt - she sings and dances freely.
    og frřist nú um váriđ. And delights in the spring.
    Hon spćlir sćr viđ blómurnar - she plays with the flowers.
    hon elskar vakrar litir - she loves the lovely colors.
    sum ein fřgur sóljudrotning - like a beautiful marsh marigold queen.
    í grasinum hon situr. - in the grass she sits

    Elisabet Maria viđ vřkrum, bláum eygum - Elisabet Maria with beautiful blue eyes
    hon málar vakrar málningar - she paints beautiful paintings.
    viđ gulum og viđ reyđum. - with yellow and with red.
    Hon málar allar litirnar, - she paints all the colors.
    sum dagurin man eiga, - like the day may hold
    sum ein fřgur stjřrnusól - like a beautiful star sun.
    Elisabet Maria.

    Brátt so verđur friđarligt - soon peaceful it will be.
    og fuglaveingir hvíla - and bird wings rest
    sólin bjarta svevur nú, - the bright sun now sleeps
    og mánin fer at skína. - and the moon will shine
    Tá fara tćr til pápa sín - they then will go to their father
    sum sřgur veit at siga - who knows stories to tell
    og nú svevur lítla Elinborg - and now little Elinborg sleeps.
    og Elisabet Maria. - and Elisabeth Maria

    That's my translation, it's quite accurate, but as it is with all languages and poetic writing, it's very difficult to be literal. Hope this helps, kind regards Oscar Hansen.

Similar Threads

  1. Learning Greek language
    By maria_gr in forum Learning Greek language & Misc. translations
    Replies: 1360
    Last Post: 01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
  2. Portuguese lyrics translations
    By Leăo_do_Norte in forum Portuguese lyrics translation
    Replies: 583
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
  3. Yulia Savicheva - Vysoko
    By alironan in forum Russian / Belorussian / Ukrainian
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. Source for Portuguese translations of popular English songs
    By Basti.13 in forum Portuguese lyrics translation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
  5. Andrea Bocelli English Translations to English
    By marydar1 in forum Italian lyrics translation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions