What is the name of the sample on Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight intro?:

Thread: What is the name of the sample on Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight intro?:

Tags: None
  1. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Question What is the name of the sample on Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight intro?:

What is the name of the song and artist, that Sugarhill Gang sampled on the beginning part of the tune for "Rapper's Delight"?
    There are two different samples from this particular tune.
    One of them is Good Times by Chic. I want to know what the other sample is, for this tune.
    Last edited by Most Wanted Jamz; 12-12-2015 at 06:52 PM.

DJ Maxx said:

As far as I know, there was no true sampling back in 1979.

Oddly, The beginning of the song starts with a modified version of Queen - Another One Bites the Dust, which came out around the same time......go figure. Hard to believe it's coinsidence.

The Good Times part (also 1979), if you listen closely, is a slightly modified version, and also has the same beat as the Queen song.

It's more like Mimicking than Sampling.

Just my opinions..........Not based on fact.
    Last edited by DJ Maxx; 04-11-2009 at 03:37 AM.

3. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Question What is the name of this oldies tune from Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight?:

I forgot about the Another One Bites The Dust by Queen sample. So I guess there's three different samples in this song.
    Good Times by Chic and Another One Bites The Dust by Queen. Still looking for that third sample.

Listen from 0:00 - 0:17 at imeem: (This site requires an imeem account).
    http://www.imeem.com/hiphopmusic/mus...mix-long-vers/

Sorry about that, if you do not have an account for imeem. I apologize. There are now two sites posted. One site requires an account and the other site does not require an account.

Listen from 0:00 - 0:14 at youtube: (This site does not require any account).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAElxLLys6k

What is the name of that oldies tune, played in the first fifteen seconds, that got sampled? I heard this oldies tune before and I know it's been sampled in Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's delight.
    Last edited by Most Wanted Jamz; 12-12-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Sorry about that, if you do not have an account for imeem. I apologize. For those who do not have an imeem account, the youtube site does not require an account.

DJ Maxx said:

That's a remix version you have there. The original doesn't have that opening.

But I like it and it reminds me a little of "Shaft" & the drumming part sounds like "Jump On It" which came much later. But then , this is a remix, so ...... anything goes.

5. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Default Thanks.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Maxx View Post
    That's a remix version you have there. The original doesn't have that opening.

But I like it and it reminds me a little of "Shaft" & the drumming part sounds like "Jump On It" which came much later. But then , this is a remix, so ...... anything goes.

atmaestro said:

Can you post the sample from another website?
    I do not have an Imeen account.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

7. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Wink Yes I can.

Yes I can, and I did it for you folks who do not have an imeem account.
    Quote Originally Posted by atmaster View Post
    Can you post the sample from another website?
    I do not have an Imeen account.

8. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Question Do you or anyone else know this tune:

Do you or anybody else know this oldies tune, in this sample?

Please listen at youtube: (No account requirement for this site).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAElxLLys6k

What is the name of this sample, played in the first fourteen seconds, from Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight?
    What is the name of that song and artist, from that sample in the first fourteen seconds?
    Last edited by Most Wanted Jamz; 12-12-2015 at 06:54 PM.

atmaestro said:

I with DJMaxx on this one. The first 14 seconds sounds like it is from a late 1960's - early 1970's cop/robbers movie or TV show like "Shaft" or "Starter and Clutch" (I mean Starsky and Hutch).

I also agree that the group Chic should be getting royalty payments for the ripoff of their song, "Good Times".
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

10. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Question Did Sugarhill Gang sample "Here Comes That Sound Again" by Love De-Luxe?

Did Sugarhill Gang sample, "Here Comes That Sound Again" by Love De-Luxe and Hankshaw Discophonia for Rapper's Delight?
    I was trying to find out which song, Sugarhill Gang sampled, at the beginning opening song.
    Am I right?
    I tried to submit it to Who Sampled Who, but it got rejected.
    Trying to get this song solved.

11. rockbeatspaper23 said:

I'm pretty sure Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" sampled Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" not the other way around.
    "Rapper's Delight" was recorded in 1979 and "Another One Bites the Dust" wasn't recorded until 1980.

12. Most Wanted Jamz said:

Red face Thanks. I heard that on the X-Mix Club Classics remix version.

The X-Mix Club Classics remix version of Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang has Another One Bites The Dust by Queen sampled in it. The 2 or 3 beats from Rapper's Delight & Good Times by Sugarhill Gang & Chic does sound like Queen's Another One Bites The Dust, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbeatspaper23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" sampled Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" not the other way around.
    "Rapper's Delight" was recorded in 1979 and "Another One Bites the Dust" wasn't recorded until 1980.