Song and Music Titles, Ukraine - English translation

Thread: Song and Music Titles, Ukraine - English translation

Tags: None
  1. Al said:

Default Song and Music Titles, Ukraine - English translation

Hi, my name is 'Al' from the United Kingdom

This is not strictly concerned with lyrics but I hope it is ok to post here.

I have some quite old music ensemble books from Ukraine and I would like to know the titles of the songs. I love some of the tunes as they sound to me to be very traditional and I would love to know the title of the songs and maybe what they are about.

The following is a link to the titles from the books, all carefully written out by hand nearly 50 years ago!

http://yfrog.com/0ttitles001j

I hope some can help.

Best wishes

Al
    (Chris)
    Last edited by Al; 05-18-2009 at 03:59 PM.

kolbaskina said:

These songs are from soviet communist period and have nothing in common with real pure ukrainian soul.

It's a pity you think these marches with trumpets and drums are our traditional music

I don't like all these so i can't say what are most songs about. But in general there're about battle field, communism building and revolution, i think.

1. International
    2. USSR anthem (United Soviet Social Republics)
    3. USSR anthem (Ukrainian Soviet Social Republic)
    4. Flourish
    5. Funeral march # 1
    6. Funeral march # 2
    7. Funeral march # 3
    8. Funeral march # 4
    9. Funeral march # 5
    10. Funeral march # 6
    11. Funeral march # 7
    12. Funeral march # 8
    13. We’ll go onto the fight bravely
    14. Nakhimov Naval School student’s anthem
    15. Marseillaise
    16. Our steam locomotive
    17. The White Army, the Black Baron
    18. Comrade, fall into step bravely
    19. The Red Standard
    20. The hostile whirls are howling above us
    21. We’re the blacksmiths
    22. There, far over the river
    23. Communist brigade march
    24. Anniversary oncoming
    25. The front march
    26. The song about troubled youth
    27. Flourish
    28. The builders’ march
    29. Polka
    30. I’m the soil (The earth) – I don’t know what the song is about
    31. The steeplejacks’ march
    32. The March
    33. The October’s March
    34. The Liberty March
    35. The anthem of democratic youth
    36. The young guard
    37. Birch, waltz
    38. The March from the movie “Hallo, Moscow”
    39. On the Manchuria hills, waltz
    40. Lenin is always with you
    нам ніколи, мабуть, не дійти до межі,
    за якою немає ні смутку, ні страху...

Bizim gibi delilere her gün bayram

3. Al said:

Oh dear!

Kolbaskina, I am sorry if I upset you, I did not intend to!

I play in a brass band and was pleased to find some brass ensemble music from another country.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310137993812

I have looked through the music now and I see that they are very militaristic and it seems that some of the tunes are perhaps very reminiscent of that period of Ukraine history.

I have been doing some reading now about Ukraine and I understand a little more. I now realise that the music books are from a very different Ukraine....

I would like to take some of the pieces (perhaps 5 or 6) and make them into one piece of music, perhaps to play at concerts occasionally, as it would be something quite different. I do see however, that they are not happy joyful songs

Could you or anyone else suggest a title for such a piece if I wrote it?

Thank you very much for the translation, it is much appreciated.

Regards

Al
    (Chris)
    Last edited by Al; 05-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.

4. Al said:

At the back of each music book is this stamp. Does this show the band that the music was played by?

http://yfrog.com/17stamp001j

The arrangement of this brass band music is very similar to that of bands in Briitain at the time despite the two countries being so distant then, there is a definite commonality in brass band music. Maybe not the subjects though, as such music in Britain was more often for entertainment and fun rather than military.

This music will now lead me to look into more traditional music from Ukraine and I hope to learn about your country.

Thanks

Al
    (Chris)
    Last edited by Al; 05-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.

vuoklis said:

uhm. no. that stamp contains information about where the book was printed and how many copies were wprinted.

6. Al said:

Ah! Thank you. That makes me feel a bit stupid!

Please - I would still be interested in the translation, although I imagine the stamp is for the blank music book before someone wrote all the pieces out in hand writing.

I still wonder where the music books originated from and what sort of band played them. I was hoping they were books of local folk music as well as marches. I think our band will like to do a concert sometime, playing music from this part of the world and I will try and pick one or two of these pieces. Although, some of the funeral marches appear to be the better pieces musically.

But don't worry - I am also very interested in modern music, including love songs and joyful music

I have enjoyed looking around this forum. Some of the translations when made directly into English do not look too good and could perhaps do with re-wording, for example to correct grammar. I realize that sometimes the true meaning can become lost in translation but that is sometimes necessary.

Would it be impolite of me to provide a further translation for some of the songs?

Regards

Chris

NikiLas said:

Al, I'm a little confused - are you trying to get something translated or you trying to get more info on those books and brass music altogether?

btw, a song translation is usually done word-for-word to help a person understand which word is which, in case somebody's trying to learn the language that way. I agree, we all can be lost in translation, an re-phrase and correct grammar would make us like and understand the song better, but... I personally prefer a word-by-word translation and maybe a short explanation in brackets in case the meaning is lost completely.

Not to get carried away here...

I'm not sure you can use a term "folk" for those songs, since they weren't really written BY the people, but FOR the people, if you know what I mean. But they are definitely depicting the atmosphere of those times and describe a truly soviet attitude towards life.

8. Al said:

Regarding the books, I am happy that I now know the titles. It would be interesting to know the translation of the stamp, that was all. I will leave my research there and concentrate on playing the music with some friends! I now have a better understanding of the music. Your last paragraph is very good in explaining this.

I do understand what you mean by word-for-word song translation. Many of the phrases seem unusual in English but they do provide a very good indication of Ukraine and Russian language. Even, how differently people think. If a song needed to be sung, say on a commercial basis in UK, then the words would have to be re-phrased and I see that the real meaning is then often lost. Also if rhyme and rhythm is important then even more so, but the translation will become almost meaningless. Perhaps if someone wanted a song that needed to be fully "Anglicized" that is to say made fully acceptable in English, then I could help.

Meantime it is interesting to read all the translations word-for-word.

vuoklis said:

i doubt someone would mind reading proper translations that help understand the TEXT, not the GRAMMAR of the text, better, so i think you're always welcome maybe you could open a topic for that? i'm serious, i've also noticed that there are songs that are not grammatically correct (and i know i might leave dozens of mistakes in my translations as well), so corrections would be useful for everyone