Greek interesting customs, traditons ..

Thread: Greek interesting customs, traditons ..

Tags: None

Ula said:

Smile Greek interesting customs, traditons ..

Hello everyone,

i wasnt really sure where to put this post, but i hope its ok if its here.

I am writing the poroject about Greeks and i want it to be really interesting. Apart from history i'd like to write about any greek customs, traditions, everyday life or anything else that might be interesting, funny, strange, weird or whatever for foreigners.

For example: the tradition to give newborn babies names after grandparents or drinking frappe all the time.

Hope you can help me.

Evxaristo polly !!

Mihalis said:

write about greece's 3rd national sport (behind smoking and drinking coffee)...sex! :P

3. lalalaro said:

Omg Mihali! xD

Well you can talk about the bad habit of greek drivers to show off! If for example someone has a very fancy and fast car he challenges the others in order to show how cool he is! Or about the fact that they sware ALL the time!

You can also write that even though most of the greeks complain aaall the time that they dont have money and free time, they ALWAYS go on relatively expensive holidays and they ALWAYS go out on Saturday nights at clubs, restaurants or "bouzoukia"! Bouzoukia = a place where very "light" songs are sung live and people throw flowers to the singers, dance on the tables and drink!

You can say about how much greeks are obssesed with football! The two main opponent teams are Olympiakos and Panathinaikos and if they are VERY obssesed they hate each other immediately, without even getting to know each other first...

For the end, some wedding traditions is that: a) the bride is usually late for her marriage and makes the husbant wait, on purpose! b) on some time of the wedding, the bride steps on the foot of the husbant so that to show him that she is not going to be afraid of him hahah that is funny and c) the friends that join the husbant while he is getting ready for his marriage shave him in the end, like he has to wear his suit, shoes, make his hair and stuff and aaafter all these, they shave him!

Well these were some general stuff... Each region has some more specific I guess... Hope I helped! Good luck with your project!!
    Kipu on rakkautta, rakkaus on kipua.

Ula said:

Mihalis, thanks !!!
    That was brilliant Guess that would make my project really interesting, lol.

lalala ro, thanks for the wedding traditions especially, i havent heard of these ones. I will use them for sure.

guys, could you help me again? i want to play some greek music during my presentation (apart from ,,Zorba the Greek" that everyone knows) I came across the song on mysapce and i lik it a lot, but i couldnt get it anywhere Maybe you know who is the singer so that it is easier to find it. Thats the link: http://www.myspace.com/plakagreekcafe The song is called: ,,H zoi i mou einai opa"

Thanks, thanks !