German Misc. Translations

Thread: German Misc. Translations

Tags: None

citlalli said:

Hehehe, tja! Dear Steena, your comment reminded me of when I first heard the band Die Toten Hosen: I was just starting to learn "Guten Tag, mein Name ist... usw" so I asked my teacher about the name of this band, and when she said "The Dead Trousers" I had a laugh attack
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Tahira said:

OH, and me when I started school for foreign languages (ages ago) I was listenting that time to bands like Dead Kenndys, Sex Pistols, The Clash and so on, and I was translating for me their lyrics in to german. And so I learned a lot words/vocabularies which are not used in daily talk.

And sometimes when we came across a weird word (during the lesson) my teacher used to ask to ask me "this time from the Sexpistols or Dead Kenndys".

But I was alway curious, that´s the way I found this forums.

IN another thread we had the expression of "Leiche im Keller" which is in english "Skeleton in a cupboard", I like this expression so much, it always reminds me of a forgotten lover in ones bedroom´s cupboard. LOL

feuersteve said:

Talking

So I guess I better quite saying "Hallöchen" ( even if I only say it to the girls)

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hi there!!

Literally speaking, "hallochen" would be "little hello", but of course that doesn't exist in english, so it'd be better to translate it only as "hello" as Tahira said. Note however that the ending "-chen" always gives the meaning of "small/little":

-Haus (house)----->Häuschen (little house)
    -Hand (hand)------>Händchen (little hand)

"little hello" sound weird, but you know that word "hallochen" could exists in spanish. it sounds retarded, but some people says "holita" xDD, i've never say it, but in german sound more...nice xD

TheNuttyOne said:

'chen' can only be added to feminine nouns and women's names, I think. But in spanish you could say Carlito (little carlos), there's a difference . Not a fluent speaker of either language so that could be wrong. LOL

Tahira said:

Hallöchen Nuttyone :-)

CHEN can also be added with male nouns. perfect example: HANS (male name) and Hänschen (= little Hans)
    or der Schrank (cupboard) - das Schränkchen (little cupboard)
    der Tisch (table) - das Tischchen (little table)

..ah but I recognize myself now, that the article changes then into DAS.
    But I do not know if this is a general rule.

citlalli said:

Hi Tahira and everyone else around here!

Yes, the article with the endings -chen and -lein is always "das" (in Nominativ I mean)
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulitz_girl_483 View Post
    "little hello" sound weird, but you know that word "hallochen" could exists in spanish. it sounds retarded, but some people says "holita" xDD, i've never say it, but in german sound more...nice xD
    Yup, same here! use it in german but never in spanish (at least not up to now )

Tahira said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hi Tahira and everyone else around here!

Yes, the article with the endings -chen and -lein is always "das" (in Nominativ I mean)
    Thank you Citlalli. I was thinking about that the whole morning and its definitelly so. I never recognized it before. this must be one of the grammar structures you learn when youlearn a foreign language but if it is your mother tongue you just know "it is that way" without knowing that it is a structure.

And some things change when speaking in dialect; you know in Bavaria with have "der Butter, das Ohrring, der Radio" instead of "die Butter, der Ohhring, das Radio".

citlalli said:

Yes, you're very right! I know the rule coz I was taught it during a lesson, but when it comes to my first language I sometimes struggle to identify the rules, I just know "it's that way" and that's all

... Oh oh oh, the changing articles between Hochdeutsch and Bayrisch are still such a big pain in my neck!

Kaulitz_girl_483 said:

could someone translate this video?
    i dont understand a sh*t lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orx4G0I2ScA
    Last edited by Kaulitz_girl_483; 12-07-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Steena said:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaulitz_girl_483 View Post
    could someone translate this video?
    i dont understand a sh*t lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxSG0I2ScA
    Some things missing, anyone able to hear them?

German transcript

Oliver: Und immer wenn ich dieses Gefühl habe, dann versuch ich gegen anzukämpfen. Aber es ist stärker als ich.
    Girl: Hör mal, ich, äh, find auch alleine zu Auto. Ist echt kein Thema.
    Oliver: Und wenn ich dieses Gefühl habe, dann will ich einfach nur noch tanzen.

Girl: Aaaah!
    Oliver: Na, jetzt haste doch noch 'n bisschen Schiss, oder?
    Girl: Quatsch, das ist doch Tokio Hotel. Da reagieren alle Frauen so! Aaaah!
    Oliver: OK, das macht Sinn.

Bill: Stop mal, stop mal, stop mal. Warte mal! Äh, hier man, du machst dich ein bisschen zum Ei. Willst du nicht woanders tanzen?
    Tom: (missing)
    Pass auf, wir respektieren das, was du machst. Du kannst nicht tanzen, kannst nicht singen. Über's Aussehen sprechen wir echt nicht. Aber ... pass auf, dahinten ist ein stillgelegter Parkplatz. Da ist keiner. Ich würd' das empfehlen zum Üben. Das ist für dich besser, für uns übrigens auch.
    Oliver: Pass mal auf, ich hab hier das Gefühl, ihr wollt mich verarschen.
    Tom: Nee, nee, auf gar keinen Fall. Sieh zu, dass du Land gewinnst.
    Oliver: Ihr meint das jetzt ernst?
    Tom: Definitiv. Dahinten ist der Parkplatz.

Girl: Olli, du hast gehört, was die Jungs gesagt haben. Jetzt hau endlich ab! Oh Gott, jetzt geht das schon wieder los. Hey Jungs, ich kenn das aus dem Fernsehen. Er wird jetzt nur zum Kevin.
    Oliver: Ich will tanzen! Ich will tanzen!
    TH: Der Typ nervt!
    Girl: Vollidiot! Och Jungs, spielt doch bitte noch mal für mich.
    TH: Bedingung ist, wir dürfen danach an dir rumspielen.
    Girl: Spielt einfach!
    TH: Ja, machen'ma.

Oliver: Alles OK? Hey Schatz, du hast nur geträumt!
    Girl: Olli ...
    Oliver: Komm, lass uns gehen.

-------------

Translation

Oliver: And always when I get this feeling, I try fight it. But it's stronger than me.
    Girl: Listen, I could find the way to the car alone. That's really not a problem.
    Oliver: And when I get this feeling I only want to dance.

Oliver: I see, now you are a bit scared, right?
    Girl: Bullsh*t, that's Tokio Hotel. All woman act this way! Aaaah!
    Oliver: OK, that makes sense.

Bill: Stop, stop, stop. Wait! Hey, you act really stupid. Don't you want to dance somewhere else?
    Tom: (missing)
    Listen, we respect what you do. You cannot dance, you cannot sing. We don't even want to talk about the way you look. But ... listen, there's an abandoned parking lot over there. There's nobody. I would recommend this for you to practice. It's better for you, and for us anyways.
    Oliver: Listen, I've got the feeling that you want to make fun of me.
    Tom: No, no, not at all. Finally get lost!
    Oliver: You're really serious?
    Tom: Definitely. The parking lot is over there.

Girl: Olli, you heard what the boys said. So finally get lost! Oh God, now that starts again. Boys, I know this from TV. He turns into Kevin now.
    Oliver: I want to dance! I want to dance!
    TH: This guy is getting on our nerves!
    Girl: Idiot! Come on boys, please play one more time for me
    TH: Under the condition that we can play with you afterwards
    Girl: Just play!
    TH: Yes, going to do that.

Oliver: Everything OK? Hey dear, it was only a dream!
    Girl: Olli ...
    Oliver: Come, lets go.
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

Tahira said:

Hi Steena I understood only 1 sentene from the 2 missing parts:

Tom: Nee, nee, auf gar keinen Fall. Sieh`zu daß Du Land gewinnst"

This means something like: go on now.... hit the road....

I do not knwo if this is clear in the video, that Oliver and the girl ( Her name is Dorkas Kiefer) are german comedians.

TheNuttyOne said:

is it possible to construct a sentence like I am ___ years old with Mir and not Ich bin

Also is this correct: Dies ist ein dicker Kopf

Steena said:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuttyOne View Post
    is it possible to construct a sentence like I am ___ years old with Mir and not Ich bin
    No.
    "Mir" indicates the use of the dative, that would not make much sense with the sentence in question.

Also is this correct: Dies ist ein dicker Kopf
    Yes, it is. Meaning "This is a thick/fat head"

Tahira said:

Quote Originally Posted by Steena View Post
    No.
    "Mir" indicates the use of the dative, that would not make much sense with the sentence in questions
    Hi Steena. who comes that you know all that. I am just learning again german grammar with my son. Its their topic in german lessons now: the 4 cases

@nuttyone:
    THere is also an expression in german: ICH HABE EINEN DICKEN KOPF

That means your head is twice a nice, after a long night with much alcohol.

Steena said:

Oh, I kept in mind all the lessons up to the 6th grade in school and started deleting from 7th onwards . Especially when it comes to maths!

Tahira said:

LOL ! I am re-doing all of 5th grade at the moment.
    TOday I can tell you everything about vulcanos and the human sceleton...
    and something about the Disitributivgesetz (maths!) URGHHHH

TheNuttyOne said:

How do you say 'about it'? Sage ihm ____ nichts . Is darueber wrong? Ueber means above but also about.

P.S. We needa new forum to help Tahira and her son with math . Distrubitivgesetz is that like 5(3+2) = (5 * 3) + (5 * 2)?

Also Brits and Aussies say Maths (Mathematics); here we just say Math.

Steena said:

How do you say 'about it'? Sage ihm ____ nichts . Is darueber wrong? Ueber means above but also about.
    Von

Sage ihm nichts von ____________ .
    I think über would also be OK, but it sounds a bit weird.
    So you better use "von"

Brits and Aussies I need to get rid of that word, in school you learn British English here in 9 out of 10 cases and I hate it