Hi,

This is my first ever attempt at writing song lyrics and I'm looking for some constructive feedback about my writing in order to help me improve.
I have no great ability instrument wise but have always wanted to develop my lyrical writing and have finally reached a point where I feel confident enough to attempt to write
My main musical love is heavy metal and so I feel that the majority of my lyrics will be written with this genre in mind, however if as part of constructive criticism you feel the lyrics would better suit another genre please tell me

The song I've written is about an issue between several friends and I which came to a head recently. They feel I've changed and become a worse person since I went away to university a year ago and seem unable to accept my desire to grow, change and make the most of an experience I never thought I'd get. I can see their point of view but it also saddens and angers me somewhat.
This song what sparked by a conversation with a friend which began "I feel I don't know you well enough anymore, my opinion of you has plumeted"

Here are the lyrics;

The ways I've grown, the ways I've changed, none of that matters to you
You fixate on who I was and how I'm different now
I hear you say its for the worse, you hear me say this!

Who I was, who I am, I stand here a better man
I've left behind the rusted chains and found a place to thrive
I am alive and I will not apologise!

"I don't feel I know you well enough" are the words you say to me
When they come I feel the rage, burning hot behind my eyes
Do you know how much it hurts when you try to chain me down!?

I will not deny myself the experience of life
These things I do I do for me, I will not run and hide!
Your choice is simple, walk beside me of get out of my way!

Now hear me say this!

Thanks for taking the time to give these lyrics a read, any tips and feedback you guys can give me to help me improve my writing is greatly appreciated!