(*) Hello, will someone check my Spanish?

Thread: (*) Hello, will someone check my Spanish?

Tags: None
  1. Angelbuns said:

Smile (*) Hello, will someone check my Spanish?

Last edited
    Last edited by Angelbuns; 11-07-2009 at 12:37 AM.

citlalli said:

Hi there

Cuando estuve en Mazatlán, en la noche me senté/sentaba* en el balcón del cuarto para escuchar las olas y mirar Bora Bora cambiar de colores. Me hizo/hacía* pensar en ti.

*Both "senté" and "sentaba" are correct: You use "senté" if you did it only once during your stay in Mazatlán, and "sentaba" if it was a repeated action. The verb "hacer" changes accordingly: if you sat there only once then you use "hizo", if it was more often then you need "hacía."

When I was in Mazatlan, at night I sat on the balcony to the room in order to listen to the waves and watch Bora Bora changing colors. It made me think of you.

or

Cuando estuve en Mazatlán, en la noche senté en el balcón al cuarto escuchando a las olas y mirando Bora Bora cambiar colores. Pensé** en ti.

**The first sentence remains like in your first example. Regarding "pensé", it's the same once more: only once ="pensé"; repeatedly ="pensaba".

When I was in Mazatlan, at night I sat on the balcony to the room listening to the waves and watching Bora Bora change colors. I thought of you.

I'm not sure if it would be "estaba" or "estuve". My trip to Mazatlán was recent.

If it was only a short holiday, you use "estuve". If you were there a longer period of time or if you go there frequently then "estaba" is more adequate.

HOpefully I'm close enough so that any changes won't cause me to ask 10 million questions. lol. Thanks!

I hope this helped! If you have questions please feel free to ask
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

citlalli said:

Hola

I would prefer "para escuchar", but it really depends on what you want to express. If you use this version then the idea is that you sat on the balcony with the purpose of listening to the waves and watch Bora Bora change. However, if you want to express simultaneity, then I'd say "...y/mientras escuchaba las olas y miraba ... "
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

4. Angelbuns said:

Perfect! Thanks again.

citlalli said: