Buddy/ignore list & public groups

Thread: Buddy/ignore list & public groups

Tags: None

Orwa said:

Question Buddy/ignore list & public groups

Hello Professionals!

I was wondering what is that things in each one's profile, what is the Buddy list?, what is the Ignore list?, what is the Group membership?, how can we create a public group?!!?, how we'll use it??

It is not so important but it is ME, i like to know everything!!!

Thanks in advance
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Steena said:

Concerning the buddy list - you can add your friends and online contacts on the forum to this list When opening the list you'll see right away if they are online or not (in case they are not invisiblem since then they will always be listed as offline) To add a user to your buddy list, click on the option "buddy/ignore lists" on your User CP. Just add the names of your friends to the list and then they can be viewed via "Quick Links (somewhere in the middle of the "task menu") -> open buddy list"

It works quite the same with the ignore list. Posts by users who are on your ignore list won't be viewed for you. You don't have to take notice of them or answer to them since you simply can't see them.

I'm not sure about the groups, I believe on ATL that is disabled since I know other boards where we have quite an active group system, but I never saw that here.
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

Orwa said:

I firstly thank you for coming Steena, that is nice to have professionals here

I can see the buddy/ignore list isn't that so important, but i will add the all people i know, including YOU, would you mind?!!??!!??!!?

Regarding the groups, if it is disabled here, why we do have the tag which mentions the public groups?!?!?

but i thank you again for your time
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

Steena said:

No problem Of course you can add me!

I'm really not sure about the groups, it just seems to be disabled to me. Maybe someone else knows more about them!

Orwa said:

I added many people in my buddy list, but what i can do now?!?!, i have to wait until they accept my invitation?!!??, now i'll be noticed when somebody login?!??!!??

For the groups, i mean that one in everybody's profile:

Anyway, i believe we do not have anybody more professional than you, so i'll get the answer from you or i won't get it

Steena said:

Spring and the others also have a wide knowledge with these boards
    As I said you can view your buddy list with the help of the quick link "open buddy list". People don't have to accept an invitation and they will not get a notification that you added them to your list. It's just something private for you.

Orwa said:

Quote Originally Posted by Steena View Post
    Spring and the others also have a wide knowledge with these boards
    As I said you can view your buddy list with the help of the quick link "open buddy list". People don't have to accept an invitation and they will not get a notification that you added them to your list. It's just something private for you.
    Ah, Ah, this is the first time i ever see the "Quick links" tab, really, i put the all people i know in the buddy list including you, it is a good thing to know, thank you Steena, you're kind of the best

And i'll be waiting to know about the groups

Spring said:

Quote Originally Posted by Orwa View Post
    what is the Group membership?, how can we create a public group?!!?, how we'll use it??
    What we have here on ATL are user groups:
    Administrators
    Super Moderators
    Moderators
    Registered Users

The point of these groups is that they have different permissions on the board (as you can imagine, they can view and do different things; like - members can't delete and edit other members' posts - moderators can etc.)

In our case, we have various groups for standard registered users:

Junior member, Member >30 posts, Senior Member >100 posts

but I think there is no difference between them regarding permissions and stuff..

Apart from the a/m, admins have the option to create specific Public Groups, where they can assign specific permissions to members of a group and in which case a member would assign himself to a group (in our case - only admins grant access to the groups that we have which is why we don't have an option to join a group - or I am blind and don't see it ).

So, a group membership is something that would show what groups you've joined, but, since the admins didn't make any such groups, you are Not a member of any public group (you just automatically became a member when you registered and then progressed to Senior Member by posting)

To simplify the explanation, we could for example have a group "Greek members" and a subforum added in the Greek forum, called "Let's Mess Around Our ATL Greece". And, only those who join the group would be able to see the Greek forum and they could, for example, even open/close threads, edit, and delete all posts in the "Let's Mess Around..." subforum.

But it doesn't make much sense on ATL to have such groups

Orwa said:

Lol Spring, it is very clear now, thanks super much for explaining it, i thought there is a kind of groups we create for ourselves, but in anyrate, i just like to know everything

Again, Muchas thanks

Spring said:

Any time!

Steena said:

See I told you that Spring knows a lot of stuff