Cheap Trick in Japanese please

Thread: Cheap Trick in Japanese please

Tags: None
  1. jessjg said:

Default Cheap Trick in Japanese please

Can someone translate the chorus for 'I want you to want me' by Cheap Trick?

"I want you to want me.
    I need you to need me.
    I'd love you to love me.
    I'm begging you to beg me."

Dreams~ said:

Hmm...

You might be able to get away with something like this:

boku o hoshigatte hoshigaru
    boku o hitsuyou suru hitsuyou ga aru
    boku o ai shite moritai
    boku o tanonde tanomu

It's as short as I can make it, and it might only be grammatically acceptable because it's song lyrics. Long versions would be more like: "(kimi ga) boku o hoshigaru koto o hoshigaru".

Another thing that makes it tricky is that there are a couple of verb endings in Japanese that can literally mean all these things - "to want, to need, to love (it)". I guess it would make the meaning fuzzy, though, so I avoided it...
    lumekuninganna.com
    lyricstranslate.com/en/translator/lumekuninganna

3. BlueEyedUtaUtai said:

Default A litte bit more natural translation.

There are endless ways you could translate this.
    However, you can only use "hoshigaru" to describe someone else, not yourself.
    The above entry is a tiny bit off gramatically. It might be better if you said something like this:

ore wo hoshigatte hoshii
    ore wo hitsuyou to shite hoshii
    ore wo ai shite ireba ii na
    ore wo negatte kurenai kana

俺を欲しがってほしい
    俺を必要としてほしい
    俺を愛していればいいな
    俺を願ってくれないかな

I switched it up a little bit, and used the pronoun "ore" instead of "boku" to make it a little bit more "rock-ish". However, I'm not really familiar with the band's image, so I'm not sure if they would be more of a "boku" band or an "ore" band.

You can't really say "I need you to need me" in Japanese, unless you make a really long and complicated sentence like the above person said. So a more literal back translation of what I wrote above would be,

I want you to want me
    I want you to need me
    I wish that you loved me
    Won't you please beg for me

Hope this helps.

4. jessjg said:

Thank you both for responding so promptly!
    Length is not an issue, so if it were possible could you give me the exact translation? Also, I'll be using the phrases to etch on to wood for a gift, so could I also have the symbols as well?
    Sorry for the many requests.
    Thanks again for all your help thus far!