Thread: Annett – Erik

Tags: None

Macbard said:

Default Annett – Erik

Hello
    Posted for corrections Thanks Cosmonaut
    To listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pLmWrQLBHI

Annett – Erik

Erik war ein Wikinger, noch nicht mal 17 Jahr. Blonder Schopf und blaue Augen - und er war für alle da. Seine Mutter umsorgte ihn sehr, hatte Angst um ihren Sohn. Der Vater wollt ihn zur Härte erziehen - komm Erik das schaffst du schon.

Erik was a Viking, not yet 17 years old. Blond tuft of hair and blue eyes – and he was there for everyone. His mother looked after him very well, was afraid for her son. The father wanted to raise/train him to toughness/hardness – Come Erik, you can do it!

Großspurig und ohne Angst im Gesicht, Hey Erik, den Kampf schaffst du noch nicht! Doch Erik war heiß auf Kämpfen und Sieg, und jeden Gegner, den er traf, die Hucke voll kriegt.

Boastful and without fear in his face, Hey Erik, you cannot manage this battle yet! However Erik was hot for battle and victory, and every foe that he met got his A S S kicked.

Schlachten hatte Erik nun hinter sich gebracht, oft Schmerzen gespürt und viele Gegner umgebracht. In Wäldern hat sich Erik mit seinen Kriegern versteckt, und viele neben ihm sind qualvoll verreckt. Doch Erik wußte es ja besser - bei einer Schlacht ihn eine Keule traf. Es steckt im Bein ein Messer und er sank erschöpft ins Gras.

Erik had carried/delivered (won) battles now behind him, often had felt pains and had killed many foes. In the forests Erik has hidden with his warriors and many beside him have died in agony. However Erik knew better, during a battle a mace/club struck him. There is a knife in his leg and he sank exhausted in the grass.

Großspurig und ohne Angst im Gesicht, Hey Erik, den Kampf schaffst du noch nicht! Doch Erik war heiß auf Kämpfen und Sieg, und jeden Gegner, den er traf, die Hucke voll kriegt.

Man päppelte ihn notfalls wieder auf, und alles nahm wie immer seinen gewohnten Lauf. Und nachts, wenn sein Freund tief und fest schlief, dann hörte man Erik, daß er die Götter anrief. Noch eine Schlacht, und dann kehre ich heim, um endlich wieder bei Mutter und Vater zu sein.

One nursed him again of necessity and everything took its usual course as always. And at night, when his friend slept deep and securely, then one heard Erik that he called to the Gods. Just one (more) battle and then I return home, finally to again be with mother and father.

Doch diese Schlacht ward die letzte für ihn, man sah seine Seele nachts gen Himmel zieh'n. Seine Mutter bei der Nachricht weinte und schrie, sein Vater trauerte mit Stille - so sah man ihn sonst nie. Und nachts wurde Erik in Walhalla begraben, ein Stein erinnert dort heut noch an ihn.

However, this battle became the last for him, one saw his soul drift heavenwards by night. His mother at the news cried and shrieked, his father mourned with silence – thus one never, usually, saw him. And by night Erik was buried in Valhalla, a stone there commemorates/reminds of him still today.

Erik, der Wikinger - schließ deine Augen versuch ihn zu seh'n. Erik, der Wikinger - ich kann dich gut verstehen. In Walhalla werden wir beide uns dann wieder sehen und barfuß leicht tänzelnd über Schäfchenwolken gehen.

Erik, the Viking – close your eyes, try to see him. Erik, the Viking – I can understand you well. In Valhalla we will then see each other again and barefoot go nimbly dancing over the fluffy clouds.

Last edited by Macbard; 01-22-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: corrections

Cosmonaut said:

Hey Macbard--very good job with the translation. I haven't checked here for a while and, in my opinion, you really have improved alot. However one little thing regarding this paragraph. Well, first of all the German part does not make all too much sense--especially the last few words.

Boastful and without fear in his face, Hey Erik, you still do not create/start the fight! However Erik was hot in battle and victory, and every foe that he met got his A S S kicked.
    The first thing that bothered me is that "Hey Erik, den Kampf schaffst du noch nicht!" is a guy telling him that he is not yet ready to fight this battle. (Hey Erik, you cannot manage this battle yet)

"Heiß sein auf etwas" means looking (very much) forward to something. If "hot" can also be used in this particular way in English then I hereby apologise for my ignorance.

Your translation of "Die Hucke vollkriegen" - "getting one's a s s kicked" is fairly accurate in my opinion, however, there is a mistake in the German sentence. So it leaves some space for interpretation. Either your translation is right or he was referring to he was looking forward to kicking everyone's a s s e s. (in the upcoming battles)

I hope you did understand what I was trying to say and you are well.
    We are Brothers
    of the North
    who are sharing the All-Father's Blood

Macbard said:

Hello Cosmonaut,

thanks for the help. Those particular lines gave me problems. I just couldn't get it in my head right. Your explanation cleared that up for me. Yes, in English "hot" is used that way. When someone is hot for something or someone they look forward to it or desire them very much. I think the last part is right. He wanted battle and victory very much and once he was in it his opponents suffered greatly as the next verse testifies.

Ich tue fein. Nicht, so viele Lieder tuend. Das Konzentrieren auf gesprochen mehr. Ich hoffe, dass dein Silvester gut war. Meiner war ziemlich ruhig, was ich kann sagen, es ist, wer ich bin. Es ist nett, mit Dir wieder zu sprechen.