Romanian Grammar-- HELP!

Thread: Romanian Grammar-- HELP!

Tags: None

dragonfly93 said:

Smile Romanian Grammar-- HELP!

Hi, I'm trying to teach myself Romanian.I was wondering, in the contractions with "n-" and "s-" (such as n-am, n-ai, etc.; and s-o, s-a, etc.)... What do the "n" and "s" stand for? I wasn't sure if the "n" was ne or nu, and if the "s" was se or să...

Please explain Multumesc!

dragonfly93 said:

Also, does the expression "într-o" (or "într-una") mean "continuously"? I have heard it used in this context in several songs...
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden
  3. Un_Angel_Caido said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to teach myself Romanian.I was wondering, in the contractions with "n-" and "s-" (such as n-am, n-ai, etc.; and s-o, s-a, etc.)... What do the "n" and "s" stand for? I wasn't sure if the "n" was ne or nu, and if the "s" was se or să...

Please explain Multumesc!
    Hello DragonFly,

n- and s- are contractions of nu and sâ such nu am , nu ai (I don't have, you don't have etc.) sâ such as s-au spus (They said ) ne and se from what I know and I have seen they never get contracted. I'm not a native but I have been learning for a while. One helpful hint if you see -s after a word such as pasarile-s ( the -s means sunt) .
    For intr-o it's also a contraction for in a I''m not sure what other meaning it has.

Hope a native can correct me or make additions.
    Hope I was helpful Dragonfly

dragonfly93 said:

that at least gets me started. Thank you!

dragonfly93 said:

Also, could anyone explain to me when to use "ă" in place of "a"? Big thanks!

mike123 said:

the only correction I see, is that is should be să, not sâ.

I'm not a native either, so I hope I'm correct!

Also, it is într-o, într-un and dintr-o, dintr-un. It

I believe you use this when you want to say "in a" and "from a".

+ Eu stau într-un oraş mare. (i stay in a big city)
    + Eu sunt dintr-un oraş mare. (I'm from a big city.)
    Last edited by mike123; 02-04-2010 at 05:22 PM.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.
  7. Un_Angel_Caido said:

Default Correction of s-

Helllo Dragonfly,

sorry but I have to make a correction to my previous post. Actually s- it's a contraction of se and it's use in the past tense . Example,
    mi se pare ( it seems to me ) mi s-a parut ( it seemed to me )
    ce se intampla? (what's happening ) ce s-a intamplat ( what happened )
    Timpul se termina ( Time ends ) timpul s-a terminat ( time has ended ) etc.

hope this helps a lil bit more. And sorry again for my mistake.

If you don't mind asking. What made you get into romanian language?

Any native, please feel free to add or correct me.

Mersi,

dragonfly93 said:

i got into Romanian because I liked Romanian songs...I'm not sure how I got into that, though... But I have one friend who speaks Romanian. And one of the workers at my dentist's also is Romanian.

I liked the music by O-Zone, really... But I also now listen to Voltaj, Andra, Andreea Bălan, DJ Mahay, Marcel Pavel, Mihai Trăistariu, Hi-Q, Elena, Akcent, Alina Puscau, 3rei Sud Est, and, of course, the ex-O-Zone members (Dan Bălan / Crazy Loop, Arsenium, and Radu Sîrbu, who also sings with his wife under the name MR. & MS.)...

I already speak fluent English, fairly fluent French, almost fluent Spanish, Italian, and study Latin (and Mandarin Chinese). I have been reading the Inferno by Dante Alighieri in original archaic Italian, and Romanian is actually helping me. But I don't speak any Romanian, I am just studying on my own time for fun...and to understand and correct song lyrics!

I think Romanian is a nice language, though...although the neuter and all the cases are unfortunately reminiscent of Latin...*sigh*.
  9. Un_Angel_Caido said:

wow, you are very multi-lingual. I only know english, spanish a bit romanian and well want to do italian also. I have heard some songs from some of those bands you mentioned, but I like more alternative rock music. So the bands I found in romanian are Luna amara, buricul pamantului , trupa voodo, travka and Alternosfera. I got into romanian because I wanted to know some before I went there. I visited romanian back in July 2007 and since then I decided to keep learning, but it is hard when I don't know any romanians where I live. So I try to check out books from the library and a while back I bought a leanring book so I go over it so that I don't forget. I do also try to practice by chatting on yahoo wiht some buddies that are from romanian but I hardly see them on. That's why I am glad I found this site . It is very helpful. Feel free to send me a PM whenever . Sa ai un weekend-ul frumos.

Simplemente,
    Un Angel Caido

countingstars said:

Dragonfly.. let me just say: WOW!

dragonfly93 said:

yes, i have one yahoo friend from romania. but no romanians live around here where I am... except one who doesn't speak any. so I am just amusing myself, I guess It's a beautiful language.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

i got into Romanian because I liked Romanian songs...I'm not sure how I got into that, though... But I have one friend who speaks Romanian. And one of the workers at my dentist's also is Romanian.

I liked the music by O-Zone, really... But I also now listen to Voltaj, Andra, Andreea Bălan, DJ Mahay, Marcel Pavel, Mihai Trăistariu, Hi-Q, Elena, Akcent, Alina Puscau, 3rei Sud Est, and, of course, the ex-O-Zone members (Dan Bălan / Crazy Loop, Arsenium, and Radu Sîrbu, who also sings with his wife under the name MR. & MS.)...

I already speak fluent English, fairly fluent French, almost fluent Spanish, Italian, and study Latin (and Mandarin Chinese). I have been reading the Inferno by Dante Alighieri in original archaic Italian, and Romanian is actually helping me. But I don't speak any Romanian, I am just studying on my own time for fun...and to understand and correct song lyrics!

I think Romanian is a nice language, though...although the neuter and all the cases are unfortunately reminiscent of Latin...*sigh*.
    I like O-Zone.
    You like Elena? As in Elena Gheorghe?
    Crazy Loop/Dan Balan is good.
    I came across the name "MR. & MS" on some Romanian news or music site but I wasn't aware that this featured an ex O-Zone member.
    Have you heard any of DJ Project or Blaxy Girls?
    Last edited by smfc_stevo_smfc; 02-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.

mike123 said:

Also, could anyone explain to me when to use "ă" in place of "a"? Big thanks!
    I didn't see an answer to this question. Sorry if I overlooked an answer.

Are referring to word endings?

"a" and "ă" are a common ending for feminin nouns. It is used to articulate (or not) the noun in use.

. o maşină = a car
    . maşina = the car

. o pisică = a cat
    . pisica = the cat

by changing the "ă" to an "a" you add the definite article to a noun.

dragonfly93 said:

Thank you, I found the answer in a grammar article I read.

I'm not sure of Elena's last name, I will check though. I know Radu Sîrbu was directing a project with DJ Layla, Alissa, and Dee-Dee... They're actually supposed to come out with a new song,"Planet Mars", soon.

I have the MR. & MS. Music album if any of you want a copy
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

By the way, do you pronounce the "I" in "Mersi"? I know it's a foreign word, but I wasn't sure.

mike123 said:

It's pretty much similar to French. but with the romanian "R" sound.

dragonfly93 said:

OK, thank you!

dragonfly93 said:

By the way, Stevo, I do have a song by DJ Project and Deepside Deejays, called "Over And Over Again". I just realized that hehehe...

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    o maşină = a car
    . maşina = the car
    If that's Romanian for car, then what is Romanian for machine?

I find it funny that latin languages call a bus "autobus". Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just say "bus" ?

By the way, Stevo, I do have a song by DJ Project and Deepside Deejays, called "Over And Over Again". I just realized that hehehe...
    The only DJ Project songs I have heard are: Inca o Noapte, Lacrimi de Inger, Nu.
    I really like the later 2.
    Did you find out if the Elena you mentioned was Elena Gheorghe?

dragonfly93 said:

Well, the word mașina in Romanian is very similar to in Italian, where car is machina. So I didn't find it unusual :P I guess I am use to foreign translations.

Yes, the Elena that I listen to is Elena Gheorghe.
    I have "Privirea Ta" ("Before I Sleep" is the English version) and "The Balkan Girls" by Elena.

I wish I watched Eurovision; I didn't know until December that Elena competed. I didn't hear too much about it.

I wish Mahay wrote more songs; I like his music (though it is very hard to find), especially "Umbra Ta", "Pop", "Sare Sare", "Mi Se Pare", and "Dulce".

I really am not sure why I like Romanian music so much; but again, like I said before, that is why I'm interested in Romanian. And I'm spreading the popularity of the music among my teachers, friends... And even parents!!! My voice teacher wants me to perform some songs with voice and guitar... But no one here speaks Romanian locally! Hahaha...

Overall, at the moment (and this keeps changing :P), my favorite Romanian songs are...

Dragostea Din Tei (O-Zone), Whap-Pa (RadU), Sare Sare (Mahay & Cezarmonic), Vorbe Care Dor (3SE), Nu Mă Las De Limbă Noastră (O-Zone), Despre Tine (O-Zone), Printre Nori (O-Zone), Daun-Daha/Save My Life (RadU, under the title MR. & MS.), Despre Tine Cânt (Dan Bălan), O Străină (Andreea Bălan), Nu Vreau Să Te Pierd (Anka), Eu Cu Mine (Voltaj), and 25 (Arsenium)...

Actually, the list is much longer. But no use in listing every song in my library!! I have most of the songs on my YouTube account Favorites list (valbonne93), and all the music files in my iTunes library. I send them out to a lot of my friends, so anyone is free to send me a PM for any of the songs by these artists for free--I have a large collection of Romanian, Italian, English, Swedish, and a few Russian songs (as well as many others that no one else probably knows!)...

Gosh, that was a long post that most of you will probably not want to read! :P