You are looking at the life without emotion
    in defiance of times, nonetheless all people
    Everywhere you are, night or day
    with the eyes of a viewer you watch the game

Somebody else is changing the world for you
    offer the head, rises the shout
    You from a distance, ‘cause it’s quite better
    If something happens then you’ll lose nothing

Live to see it by yourself, (albo……experience it by yourself )
    don’t change a heart into a hard stone
    as long as you still have a heart

Yesterday you saw it in the news
    tired people, angry mass
    And one detail attracted you eyes
    a big ocean of human heads

And the reporter drawled off angry words
    A sudden rage increased from them
    and the angriness in you begun to grow
    Until you thought: Enough of silence!
    Last edited by Kaspermaya; 02-09-2010 at 09:31 AM.

3. *Anna* said:

My remarks to Kaspermaya's translation:

/ you look at the life unemotionally / you watch the life unemotionally
    but for sure PRESENT SIMPLE not PRESENT CONTINUOUS

? nonetheless???
    "In defiance of sth/sb" means "na przekór czemus" as well as "wbrew komuś"
    I would use "in defiance of" twice: in defiance of times, in defiance of people

Everywhere you are, DURING night or day (according to me a preposition is necessary)

/ Somebody else changes the world for you
    PRESENT SIMPLE and not PRESENT CONTINUOUS especially that you use PRESENT SIMPLE in next line, be consistent Kaspermaya

offer the head, enhance the shout

no, no, no
    "offer" means "nadstawiać" but in different case (do you use online translator, Kaspermaya?)
    "nadstawić głowę" it is like an IDIOM in Polish
    and an English equivalent is:
    "to stick one's neck out (to help others)" - this is an English idiom which should be used in this case

??? enhance ?
    no, definitely: RAISE
    here the meaning of "podnosi krzyk" is "podnosi/ zgłasza protest" - this song is POLITICALLY involved

for example: "to raise one's voice against sth" means "zaprotestować głośno przeciw czemuś" and this is what this song / line is about
    other expressions: raise the alarm, raise a storm of protest, raise a protest
    (do you use online translator? I have such an impression...)

so the whole line:
    Somebody else changes the world for you
    Sticks their neck out, raises a shout / Sticks their neck out, raises a protest (both versions are correct)

And you from far away, ‘cause it’s quite better
    / And you being far away (according to me, I think it sounds better in English)

in spite of something you’ll loose nothing

no, no, no
    do you know the meaning of "in spite of" ?
    it means "mimo czegoś" not "w razie czegoś" = "in case of"
    and there is such a rule that we use "anything" after "if" (of course, there are some exceptions check English grammar )
    my version of that line:

in case of anything you LOSE nothing (one "O" in "lose", "loose" means sth different)

I vote for: experience it yourself (YOURSELF without BY, using BY in this case is a mistake)

/ don't turn your heart into a hard stone (I would add that "your")

Yesterday, you’ve seen in the news

two mistakes in this line:
    1st mistake: we do not use comma after "yesterday" (this in not the French language !)
    2nd mistake: if we define time as "yesterday" we use PAST SIMPLE and not PRESENT PERFECT (and you are not consistent Kaspermaya because further you use PAST SIMPLE: "one detail attracted ...")

tired people, angry mass

no, no, no
    in Polish here we have only one subject ("podmiot" in Polish): TŁUM, not two ones as you used(tłum, ludzie)
    the rest is only an attribute !!! (reszta to przydawka !!!)
    this is a poetry so a word order is reversed but in common language it would sound:
    "wzburzony tłum zmęczonych ludzi" czyli tłum składający się ze zmęczonych ludzi
    in English the meaning is:
    angry masses/ crowds of tired people - only one subject: CROWD which consists of tired people

so:
    Yesterday you SAW in the news
    Angry / Infuriated crowds of tired people

And one detail attracted youR eyes
    And the speaker poured sharp words off

??? pour off?
    ??? speaker?
    (do you use online translator?)

we use in English an expression: to drawl out one's words
    SPEAKER means "głośnik" in English, or a person talking or a public speaker but not a man in the TV or on the radio, there is such a word like "announcer":
    And an announcer drawled out his sharp words

??? what ?
    do you understand Polish, Kaspermaya? I'm asking not about words but about meaning of words.

Which caused an indignation welling up inside you / which caused an idignation rising up within you / which caused an indignation surging up within you (all versions possible)

and the angriness in you begun to sprout
    what???
    ??? ANGRINESS ?
    and not ANGER ?
    sprout??? it refers to plants only
    begun? (why pp? And you use pp without has/have Kaspermaya? )

my version:
    And an anger began to germinate in you ("in you" at the end of the sentence to be correct)
    Until you thought: Break the silence!

Of course "enough" means "dość" but here it does not reflect the meaning of the sentence!
    I repeat: this is a POLITICAL song

Kaspermaya said:

Wink

Hallo *Anna*

Odpowiedź po angielsku ( co wcale nie oznacza ograniczonej znajomości polskiego języka ), po angielsku ponieważ tak jest wygodniej. Nie mam polskich liter na klawiaturze.

Special remarK: Quite often songs or lyrics cannot be translated word by word, as it loses its point, and if this poem was put to music, the words in a different language have to fit the music.
    Do you understand English correct, or do you garner your knowledge, as in these “Corrections” from a book?
    I did not try to rewrite the poem into a different version! I only tried to translate the poem, as close as possible to the size of the stanzas and meaning thereof.

My remarks in reply to yours:

My remarks to Kaspermaya's translation:

/ you look at the life unemotionally / you watch the life unemotionally
    but for sure PRESENT SIMPLE not PRESENT CONTINUOUS
    1) I'm looking at the life .............."till the death do us part" ( Sorry! Just kidding )
    By the concise Oxford dictionary on the English language, there is no word listed:
    “UNEMOTIONAL”*

? nonetheless???
    "In defiance of sth/sb" means "na przekór czemus" as well as "wbrew komuś"
    I would use "in defiance of" twice: in defiance of times, in defiance of people
    2) For use of different words, once was used “Defiance”, and the second time “Nonetheless”, both having in this sense the same meaning.

Everywhere you are, DURING night or day (according to me a preposition is necessary)
    3) It is not necessary to put a preposition, as you suggest, in that sentence, as the first part already gives the point.

/ Somebody else changes the world for you
    PRESENT SIMPLE and not PRESENT CONTINUOUS especially that you use PRESENT SIMPLE in next line, be consistent Kaspermaya

offer the head, enhance the shout
    4) Take your life for example: did you experience changes in it. This poem says clearly that the changes are continuous, and not a one time happening.
    You will note: it says quite clearly a contraction of YOU WILL into YOU’ll, and that is the future tense.

no, no, no
    "offer" means "nadstawiać" but in different case (do you use online translator,
    Kaspermaya?)
    "nadstawić głowę" it is like an IDIOM in Polish
    and an English equivalent is:
    "to stick one's neck out (to help others)" - this is an English idiom which should be used in this case
    5) The English expression “TO STICK ONE’S NECK OUT” is you go through hell and high water to help, but the poem should be translated with the word “OFFER”.

??? enhance ?
    no, definitely: RAISE
    here the meaning of "podnosi krzyk" is "podnosi/ zgłasza protest" - this song is POLITICALLY involved
    6) Here I do agree with you.

for example: "to raise one's voice against sth" means "zaprotestować głośno przeciw czemuś" and this is what this song / line is about
    other expressions: raise the alarm, raise a storm of protest, raise a protest
    (do you use online translator? I have such an impression...)

so the whole line:
    Somebody else changes the world for you
    Sticks their neck out, raises a shout / Sticks their neck out, raises a protest (both versions are correct)
    7) See above “Stick the neck out”, that’s totally wrong, in this poem, does not make sense in English.

And you from far away, ‘cause it’s quite better
    / And you being far away (according to me, I think it sounds better in English)
    8) ok.
    in spite of something you’ll loose nothing

no, no, no
    do you know the meaning of "in spite of" ?
    it means "mimo czegoś" not "w razie czegoś" = "in case of"
    and there is such a rule that we use "anything" after "if" (of course, there are some exceptions check English grammar )
    my version of that line:

in case of anything you LOSE nothing (one "O" in "lose", "loose" means sth different)
    9) ”in spite of” designates an action of the opposite

I vote for: experience it yourself (YOURSELF without BY, using BY in this case is a mistake)
    10) Both forms are acceptable in English (with or without “by”).

/ don't turn your heart into a hard stone (I would add that "your")
    11) When you have a love at one time, and you lose that love, your heart changes, it does not TURN, the correct form here is “A change of heart”

Yesterday, you’ve seen in the news

two mistakes in this line:
    1st mistake: we do not use comma after "yesterday" (this in not the French language !)
    12) OK, Typo mistake
    2nd mistake: if we define time as "yesterday" we use PAST SIMPLE and not PRESENT PERFECT (and you are not consistent Kaspermaya because further you use PAST SIMPLE: "one detail attracted ...")
    13) Yesterday you saw it in the news.
    Ok, I’m sorry!You are right!!!

tired people, angry mass
    no, no, no
    in Polish here we have only one subject ("podmiot" in Polish): TŁUM, not two ones as you used (tłum, ludzie)
    this is a poetry so a word order is reversed but in common language it would sound:
    angry masses/ crowds of tired people - only one subject: CROWD which consists of tired people
    14) It sounds you either know the poet, or you have written this poem yourself, because the sense of the poem is quite clear: Tired people, Angry Mob

so:
    Yesterday you SAW in the news
    Angry / Infuriated crowds of tired people
    15) The poem decribes the state of the people, being tired and emotionally agitated
    And one detail attracted youR eyes
    And the speaker poured sharp words off

??? pour off?
    ??? speaker?
    (do you use online translator?)

we use in English an expression: to drawl out one's words
    SPEAKER means "głośnik" in English, or a person talking or a public speaker but not a man in the TV or on the radio, there is such a word like "announcer":
    16) You misunderstand the phrase, the people in the crowd were not angry at the person doing the reportage on TV, but rather, they were reacting to the speaker who was trying to stir them up.

??? what ?
    do you understand Polish, Kaspermaya? I'm asking not about words but about meaning of words.
    17) Yes, and perhaps better than you.

Which caused an indignation welling up inside you / which caused an idignation rising
    up within you / which caused an indignation surging up within you (all versions possible)
    18) I can see that you cannot make sense out of what you read, because the TV announcer only did his job reporting the event.

and the angriness in you begun to sprout
    what???
    ??? ANGRINESS ?
    and not ANGER ?
    sprout??? it refers to plants only
    begun? (why pp? And you use pp without has/have Kaspermaya? )
    19) Anger and angriness both have the same meaning.
    Sorry for the word begun, it should read: -- began
    “SPROUT” is partially wrong, as it refers more often to plants, you are right in this case. But “Sprout” also can be used for humans, as a scion (sprout), is a son of a sire.

my version:
    And an anger began to germinate in you ("in you" at the end of the sentence to be correct)
    20) Here I do agree.
    Until you thought: Break the silence!
    Przelamac milczenie! Ok, that is nice too! Stop the silence! Enough of silence!

Of course "enough" means "dość" but here it does not reflect the meaning of the sentence!
    I repeat: this is a POLITICAL song.
    21) You don't have to.

Next time you correct someone, make sure you know the language!

Pozdrawiam
    Last edited by Kaspermaya; 02-07-2010 at 01:08 AM.

5. *Anna* said:

quote:

"tired people, angry mass
    no, no, no
    in Polish here we have only one subject ("podmiot" in Polish): TŁUM, not two ones as you used (tłum, ludzie)
    14) It sounds you either know the poet, or you have written this poem yourself, because the sense of the poem is quite clear: Tired people, Angry Mob

end of quote

This part (your response, Kaspermaya) proves you DO NOT Polish language, maybe you can speak Polish but you cannot study Polish poetry. I think you have missed your Polish lessons. I explained the structure of that sentence clearly.

According to PWN-Oxford dictionary 2004 there is such a word like "unemotional" and "unemotionally" too.

in spite of... - you explained properly,
    but there is no opposite here, the line is about sth like a defensive attitude to life:
    you don't do anything so you do not have to worry about any consequences

so:
    in case of.... = if anything happens.... (if there are some political repressions they will affect sb else, and not you)

6. *Anna* said:

and for comparison:

if (IF!) there were two subjects in the sentence like Kaspermaya claims

the sentence would sound in Polish:
    "ZmęczenI ludziE, wzburzony tłum" = "Tired people, Angry Mob" (Kaspermaya's version)

kto? co? : zmęczeni ludzie
    kto? co? : wzburzony tłum

"zmęczonych ludzi wzburzony tłum" = "wzburzony tłum zmęczonych ludzi" = an angry crowd of tired people

7. *Anna* said:

quote:
    16) You misunderstand the phrase, the people in the crowd were not angry at the person doing the reportage on TV, but rather, they were reacting to the speaker who was trying to stir them up.
    end of quote

Where did I say that people in the crowd were angry at the person doing the reportage on TV???
    Nowhere.

1) You saw angry people on TV
    2) The person on TV made comments (about some events where those angry people were involved)
    3) His words caused an anger in you. (I guess comments were against people shown in the reportage and caused your anger, just that "the news" was not reliable and not objective)

That is what I wrote in my first post.

leskaw said:

Anna, na innych forach widziałem że jak innemu NS nie przypadło do gustu tłumaczenie pierwszego to proponował swoje. Trochę zabawnie wygląda takie pouczanie innych bo co obcokrajowcy z tego zrozumieją? Walnij posta na priva albo zaproponuj swoją wersję i tyle. Inaczej ktoś kto robi takie rzeczy a friko i od serca się zrazi. Na innych forach językowych piosenki są o wiele gorzej tłumaczone (ta jest całkiem dobrze przetłumaczona) i jest OK. Nie róbmy obciachu, co?

OOps, sorry. We're supposed to speak English, right? Nice translation.

Kaspermaya said:

Dziekuję *leskaw*
    Już się zraziłam. Jeszcze parę dni temu uważałam tą home-page za bardzo przyjemną. Zmieniłam zdanie.
    Last edited by Kaspermaya; 02-09-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Kaspermaya said:

Wink

*Anna*

Korektura mojej odpowiedzi:

*unemotional* i *unemotionally* - obydwa słowa są wymienione w Concise English Dictionary.
    Przepraszam!
    Przeoczenie. Byłam zaskoczona twoją bardzo agresywną reakcją na moje “tłumaczenie”

Dziękuje za “wyjaśnienia”, chociaż forma ich przekazu nie za bardzo w moim stylu.
    Spróbuj nastepnym razem korygować blędy (czy też to co ty odbierasz jako bląd) bez agresywności i obrażania.
    To naprawdę o wiele milsza forma przekazu posiadanej wiedzy.

Żaden poeta, nie ma i nigdy nie będzie mial wpływu na reakcję, tok myślienia czy tez uczucia jakie ogarną czytajacego w/w utwory. Taki to juz los poety! Niestety!

*maybe you can speak Polish but you cannot study Polish poetry* ( cytat )

and I don’t …. ja nie wiedzę potrzeby studiowania polskiej poezji w celu przeczytania politycznego czy tez miłosnego utworu!
    To tak jakbyś wymagała od gospodyni domowej edukacji w Wyższej Szkole Hotelarstwa i Gastronomii do ugotowania bigosu!!!

Pozdrawiam
    I na tym zakańczam dyskusję.
    Last edited by Kaspermaya; 02-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.