Does anyone know this reggae song?

Thread: Does anyone know this reggae song?

Tags: maytals, reggae, roots
  1. Miss T said:

Default Does anyone know this reggae song?

This is going back a bit - in 1973 I saw the Maytals (without Toots) in a free concert in Hyde Park. They sang a song whose only lyrics (probably the chorus as well) I remember were:

"Storm clouds are over my head
    It's gonna rain.

Rain, oh rain..."

Does anyone know this song, and who (else) might have recorded it? I'd love to hear it again.

Thanks!
  2. Claybricks said:

Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    This is going back a bit - in 1973 I saw the Maytals (without Toots) in a free concert in Hyde Park. They sang a song whose only lyrics (probably the chorus as well) I remember were:

"Storm clouds are over my head
    It's gonna rain.

Rain, oh rain..."

Does anyone know this song, and who (else) might have recorded it? I'd love to hear it again.

Thanks!

I found a page that shows pictures from the Hyde concert on August 31, 1974

"Before Toots and the Maytals' set there was an announcement from the Windsor Festival Committee about the next day's protest rally, and there were rumors of an attempted stage take over by the committee though nothing was seen to develop"

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/hydepark-8-31-74.html

"It was a great day, with acts the like of Chilly Willy and The Red Hot Peppers, Julie Felix, Toots and The Maytals, Roy Harper (backed on one track by David Gilmour, Steve Broughton and John Paul Jones).. a fantastic day. Must revisit all the cassette tapes someday soon fo another listen."

http://rockingbyrd.blogspot.com/2010...rk-london.html

1972-1973

No concerts took place as the local authorities refused to issue a licence. Probably due to the controversy surrounding the possible introduction of The Night Assemblies Bill. This Bill was the follow on to The Isle Of Wight Bill introduced by Tory MP Marc Woodnut, after the last Isle Of Wight Rock festival. Tory MP Jerry Wiggins introduced The Nigh Assemblies Bill, another badly drafted private members bill which was a 70s version of the current Criminal (IN)Justice (Bill), Act, designed to stop large gatherings of young people to listen to certain kinds of music and have a good time. Although the bill had passed its second reading in The House, it was finally defeated thanks to the persistent, sterling efforts of the wonderful Jean Bradbery, who generated the support of Derek Taylor and a few other caring activists in politics and the music industry, including Arthur Davison MP, James Wellbeloved, Tom Salter, Jeff Dexter, Michael Alfandary, Harvey Goldsmith and some help from the people at Great Western.

"Jamaican star Toots appeared with just one of his Maytals (the other was in the US), with a set including a reggae version of John Denver's 'Country Roads'."

http://www.songlink.com/20080629-for...hyde-park.html

Dan
    Last edited by Claybricks; 03-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.
  3. Miss T said:

Default Does anyone know this reggae song?

Thanks, Claybricks, for correcting my memory as to the year - I remember Roger McGuinn doing Eight Miles High very clearly. Still hoping someone will know the Maytals song!
  4. Rastaman said:

Irie Greetings. The song is Storm Cloud, and it is on the Heptones Party Time album, side 2 track 2. Enjoy. Jah Rastafari!
  5. Miss T said:

You've made my day, Rastaman! For years and years I wanted to know it - thank YOU!!