street musican song from napoli 1980

Thread: street musican song from napoli 1980

Tags: None
  1. duff said:

Default street musican song from napoli 1980

I am pretty sure that no one can identify this song, because it is a recording from on the street of Napoli in the 80's, I have a tape of it.
    The song however is very, very beautiful to my taste, but I have problems understanding the lyrics.
    It is song in a dialect of Italian, based from Napoli. This is a fully different language using elements from both Italian, Spanish and their own. Although I can understand Italian, French, Spanish, German and English,... I have a lot of difficulty understanding this song, which I love so much.
    So if anyone from Napoli or la campania can translate this to any of the above languages I would be very gratefull, especially if you would first write down the original words being sung, and then the translation below it, sentence by sentence.

I am not sure how to upload any file here: but here it is (not copyrighted as far as I can tell):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?notv5ezugty

2. duffnizard2 said:

Default need this one bad: 50 Euro over PayPall

Hi, I have spend thousands of Euros of languages courses in the last few years.
    What this has brought me, is that I can ask the way to the toilet in 6 languages, or order a sandwich without onions but with ketchup.
    When I started all this language studies, I really liked one song, was very charmed by it, and I still am. After spending xxxx Euros and xxxx hours of study, I am about to give up. I will never be able to understand this particular song, unless... someone helps me.
    This is why I offer 50 Euros over PayPall for the best translation from the lyrics of the song (in Italian de Napoli), to English.
    I guess it is very uncommon to do so, but please don't flame me. I have studied languages and listened to the song for xxxx hours, but still I am at a loss. I have posted my question in the last 30 years all over Gopher, Usenet, WWW, without result.
    Obviously, the easiest way would be to go to Napoli and ask for a translation there. However, I am severely handicapped and can not be transported by train nor plane.
    TIA, Duff

Ligeia said:

Well, it took me a couple of days but i finally manage to understand most of the song.
    I warn you, i understand neapolitan quite well but i'm not from campania so I didn't get a couple of phrases and i don't know if the spelling is correct....anyway this is the best i could do, here you are:

Quann o sole è doce e te miett 'n cammino/ when the sun is sweet and you set off
    fermate nu poco pe sentì a voce / stop for a little to hear the voice
    della chiara funtana/ of the clear fountain

comm a na preghiera quest'acqua fresca/ like a prayer this fresh water
    ca ta fa felice fin a quanno è sera/ that makes you happy till night
    fattela bastare/ make it be enough

Cunusciuta e avuta a terra ??? di giuda
    cresce la salvezza e nun me fa campà/ the salvation is growing and it doesn't let me live
    vola vola l'ammore a portare nu sciore e poi torna da me/ flies flies the love, brings a flower then comes back to me

Sul' per chi resta sta fatica è amara/ only for those who remain the fatigue is bitter
    ma nun ce pensate che riman' è festa/ but don't think about it, tomorrow it's a feast day
    festa da maronna/ holy mary's feast

festa du paese e da maronna nera/ the feast of the village of the black holy mary
    perchè è riturnata solo pe stu mese/ because she has returned only for this month
    da na terra luntan/ from a faraway land

cumm è longa a via pe' turnà a casa mia/ the road that takes me home is so long
    stelle dellu ciel m'aite accumpagnà/ heavenly stars you have to accompany me
    cumm è bell' o culure o...???

quann o sole è doce e te miett 'n cammino/ when the sun is sweet and you set off
    fermate nu poco pe' sentì la voce/ stop a little to hear the voice
    della chiara funtana/ of the clear fountain

ma nun ce penzà, ma nun ce penzare/ but don't think about it
    ca rimani è festa, festa du paese e da madonna nera/ that tomorrow is a feast day, feast of the village of the black holy mary
    perchè è riturnata sul pe stu mese/ because she has returned only for this month
    ma nun ce penzare ca rimani è festa/ but don't think about it
    sul per chi resta sta fatica è amara / only for those who remain the fatigue is bitter
    ma nun ce penzare, ma nun ce penzà/ but don't think about it
    "-Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity..."
    "-Actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

"Well, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know!"

4. duffnizard2 said:

I am sorry about not responding in the last two week. My chemo therapy was really too strong this time. I thank you for your translation/transcription but I already had 90% of the phrases guessed right. Somehow speaking both Italian and Spanish helps me to understand more of the Campania dialect.
    Your translation is pretty good I feel, and much better written than I had collected already, but before I will paypal you the Euros, I want the full lyrics.
    I don't understand when the singing is tremolando, like in " Cunusciuta e avuta a terra ??? di giuda" or "cumm è bell' o culure o...???". I really need this part too.
    I am sorry about this and about the delay in my response