Bridge ?

Thread: Bridge ?

Tags: None

purplelunacy said:

Default Bridge ?

The word мост is often met in songs, but it almost never sounds right when literally translated. So I guess there's some meaning behind it, some picture I can't get.
    What is it =) ?

bandziol20 said:

Could you precisely explanate where you see problem or give these "suspected" translations ? (It would be easier) 'Most' means 'bridge', something what joins two edges of a river.

TheNuttyOne said:

In music, especially western popular music, a bridge is a contrasting section which also prepares for the return of the original material section ~~Wikipedia

It is a musical term that can't be directly translated

EDIT: Same thing but in French

purplelunacy said:

I'm sorry I didn't give you at least one exemple in the first place, I was being lazy XD !

In the song Мама-кошка by МакSим , there's this verse :

"Как-будто так однажды было с тем, кто любит мосты"

So I guess literally translated, it would be something like :

"As if it's once been with the one who loves bridges"... where's the sense in that ?

Arf, I know I have a few more exemples, but I have so many russian songs, it's scary... I'll try to find more quotes tomorrow ^^ !
    Goodnight to you !!

Dangerous & Moving said:

Oh, I never payed attention on it, good point purplelunacy, now I'm also interested what natives will say
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

TheNuttyOne said:

I thought you were talking about when the 'bridge' is written before the block of lyrics:

[Bridge - Eminem]
    So why in the world do I feel so alone
    Nobody but me, I'm on my own
    Is there anyone out there
    Who feels the way I feel
    If there is then let me in so I know that I'm not the only one

something like this

purplelunacy said:

No sorry, I didn't mean that ^^

haydee said:

Quote Originally Posted by purplelunacy View Post

"Как-будто так однажды было с тем, кто любит мосты"

So I guess literally translated, it would be something like :

"As if it's once been with the one who loves bridges"... where's the sense in that ?
    purplelunacy, well I'm native speaker and I don't see any special meaning here. Anyway, many МакSим's songs are hard to understand. Мост is just bridge.
    Pertėj kohės e hapsirės,
    tej tė keqes e te mirės

purplelunacy said:

Oh ok ! I'm glad to know you find her songs' lyrics a bit weird too then ^^ !

10. Eudaimon said:

I first thought it's one of the meaningless songs that became popular in pop music after success of the new pop-rock wave (bands like Zemfira or Mumiy Troll), but then I looked at the lyrics, and in connection with the following string it made sense:

Как будто так однажды было с тем, кто любит мосты,
    Когда шагаешь в чистый воздух, июль тебе хохочет: "Лети!".

It's apparently about committing a suicide by diving off a bridge.
    Last edited by Eudaimon; 08-04-2010 at 06:20 AM.

11. Eudaimon said:

Any weird strings involving bridges more?
    In general, a bridge in poetry, unless it is literally about a bridge, will either hint at a suicide, or pun the expression 'to burn bridges' in some way, or maybe be a symbol of connection. Exceptions are rare.

purplelunacy said:

Wow ! I had never thought about that, I mean it litterally never crossed my mind since the song is about her daughter. But it makes so much sense ! Thank you so much !

So I actually have another bridge (musically speaking, haha) in Velvet's Прости, which goes like :

И все мосты сгорят в огне
    Нет выживших в моей войне

So, in this case, I guess it's simply in relation to what you said about the expression "to burn bridges", is it not ?

13. Eudaimon said:

Yes, of course. I'm not that sure with Maxim now, though
    I can give you examples (first that come in my head) for each ' bridge type':
    1) Святые пустые места - это в небо с моста (Янка Дягилева "Ангедония") - an obvious 'suicidal bridge'.
    2) С кайфом мазохиста в руках разбираю последний мост (Чиж "Такие дела") - Though he destroys it, not burns, the meaning 'no way back' remains.
    3) По той воде - пузырьки, / Над нею - радуги-мосты (Янка Дягилева "Придёт вода") - though the song itself is suicidal (it was her last song before suicide), I don't think these are 'suicidal bridges' (to dive off a rainbow, she'd have to be in Heaven first), and since in Christian tradition, a rainbow is a symbol of a bridge between Earth and Heaven, or between human and God, I think it falls in this category.
    4) В карманах - голяк, я опять на мели, / И рад бы домой, да мосты развели (Кафе "Товарищ сержант") - when bridges are just bridges
    5) Ты сводишь мост зубов под рыхлой штукатуркой (Александр Башлачёв "Петербургская свадьба") - one of those 'rare exceptions'. It's a part of the complex image with complicated wordplay, typical for Bashlachov. During the song, he compares Petersburg to a human being, and here he creates one of consecutive wordplays that compare city items to body parts: a city bridge (bascule bridges are one of Petersburg symbols; by the way, you can find a lot of bridges of the fourth type in songs about Petersburg ) and a dental bridge. Also the verb сводить is punned: сводить мост (to lower the bridge) and сводит зубы (something like a toothache).

purplelunacy said:

Thank you very much for explaining it all and with so many details ! I think I really got the different bridge types ! Thanks =)

15. Eudaimon said:

Not at all.
    (You could help me as well: http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/ly...-morbides.html )

16. Vassily Panferov said:

I can give a hypothesis about "loving bridges" in Maksim's songs and other cases.

St.-Petersburg, the second largest city in Russia, is situated on an archipelago and has lots of beautiful bridges. The bridges over the central river, Neva, are illuminated at nights and rosen apart in summer, to let the ships go through. There are lots of small and romantically looking bridges over channels as well. So it is a common practice amid youth and lovers couples to walk along channels and to watch the Neva bridges rise and go down.

So, to love bridges in St.-Petersburg is nearly the same as to love the Eiffel Tower in Paris or to love the Central Park in New York.

That's how I see it!

purplelunacy said:

Wow, thank you A LOT Vassily !