Tags: None

Macbard said:

Default Udo Lindenberg und das Panik Orchester - Sonderzug nach Pankow 1983

Hello
    Posted for corrections
    To listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-NSfmhiTBg

Udo Lindenberg und das Panik Orchester - Sonderzug nach Pankow 1983
    special train to Pankow
    (Deutsche Version of Chattanooga Choo Choo from Glen Miller 1941)

Entschuldigen Sie, ist das der Sonderzug nach Pankow
    ich muß mal eben dahin, mal eben nach Ost-Berlin
    ich muß da was klären, mit eurem Oberindianer
    ich bin ein Jodeltalent, und ich will da spielen mit 'ner Band

Pardon me, is this the special train to Pankow
    I have to go there now, just now to East Berlin
    I have to clear up something there, with your Indian chief
    I am a yodeling artist, and I want to play there with a band

Ich hab'n Fläschchen Cognac mit und der schmeckt sehr lecker
    den schlürf ich dann ganz locker mit dem Erich Honecker
    und ich sag :"Ey Honey, ich sing für wenig Money
    im Republik-Palast, wenn ihr mich lasst"

I have a flask of cognac with me and it tastes very yummy
    which I slurp at ease with Erich Honecker
    and I say: " Hey honey, I sing for little money
    in the Palace of the Republic if you let me "

All die ganzen Schlageraffen dürfen da singen
    dürfen ihren ganzen Schrott zum Vortrage bringen
    nur der kleine Udo, nur der kleine Udo
    der darf das nicht und das versteh'n wir nicht

All of the pop monkeys are allowed to sing there
    allowed to bring all of their junk to the performance
    Only little Udo, only little Udo
    he may not do this and this we don't understand

Ich weiß genau, ich habe furchtbar viele Freunde
    in der DDR und stündlich werden es mehr
    och, Erich ey, bist Du denn wirklich so ein sturer Schrat
    warum läßt Du mich nicht singen im Arbeiter- und Bauernstaat ?

I know absolutely, I have an awful lot of friends
    in the GDR and every hour it becomes more
    och, Erich hey, are you really such a stubborn gnome
    why do you not allow me to sing in the workers and peasants/farmers state?

Ist das der Sonderzug nach Pankow ?
    ist das der Sonderzug nach Pankow ?
    Entschuldigung, der Sonderzug nach Pankow ?

Ich hab'n Fläschchen Cognac mit und der schmeckt sehr lecker
    den schlürf ich dann ganz locker mit dem Erich Honecker
    und ich sag :"Ey Honey, ich sing für wenig Money
    im Republik-Palast, wenn ihr mich lasst"

All die ganzen Schlageraffen dürfen da singen
    dürfen ihren ganzen Schrott zum Vortrage bringen
    nur der kleine Udo, nur der kleine Udo
    der darf das nicht und das versteh'n wir nicht

Honey, ich glaub', du bist doch eigentlich auch ganz locker
    ich weiß, tief in dir drin bist du doch eigentlich auch'n Rocker
    du ziehst dir doch heimlich auch gerne mal die Lederjacke an
    und schließt dich ein auf'm Klo und hörst West-Radio

Honey, I believe, nevertheless, you are indeed quite loose as well,
    I know, deep inside you, you are really also a rocker
    you also like to sometimes wear, but secretly, the leather jacket
    and close yourself in the toilet and listen to West-Radio

Hallo, Erich, kannst' mich hör'n ?
    Hello, Erich, can you hear me?
    hallö-lö-löchen, hallo

hallo, Honey ,kannst' mich hör'n ?
    Hello, honey, can you hear me?
    hallö-lö-löchen ,hallo

hallo, Honey ,kannst' mich hör'n ?
    jodel-odel-ido .....

Hallo, Erich, kannst' mich hör'n ?
    jodel-odel-ido .....
    Wenn man dem Hass freien Lauf läßt, wird er die Seele von innen zerstören.

Tahira said:

Super!

When he sings "Hey Honey" its a nickname for HOnecker.
    When Germany was divided into 2 parts, the western singers were not allowed to give concerts in the eastern part. The comunist regime did not want this and that´s what Udo Lindenberg is mourning.

This is also a very popular song by Udo Lindenberg, somthing to think about, its about a beloved person who died
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2Dc8MfjTc

larosa said:

please can someone tell me what is the exact meaning of "mal eben "???
    life is Super good
    (this is bull ****)
    if you seek arabic translation,PM me

Tahira said:

Quote Originally Posted by larosa View Post

Hi Larosa it means exactly "just now" / simply

its an informal way of talking, every day talking.

larosa said:

aha,now i get it,thanks a million dear Tahira
    life is Super good
    (this is bull ****)

6. Bernd said:

Quote Originally Posted by larosa View Post
    Well, it's not that easy. In my opinion there are a few little words in German, that are very common, that don't have an equivalent in English. And it sometimes is very tricky to translate such a sentence. And you really wonder, why there isn't an English expression that really says the same thing, as it is so common in German, especially in everyday language.

The words are especially "schon", "noch" and "mal".

In most cases you tend to try adding "just". But the problem is, that "just" has so many meanings that your translation with just often doesn't fit (or can be interpreted in a completely other way). On the other hand, by the way, I never had any problems translating any meaning of "just" in any sentence to German. The translation above shows the problem in the other direction. "Just now" for me implies the meaning "exactly at the current time". It's now or never, now is the time I want to have it. But this meaning is far away from "mal eben".

"mal eben" means, I do it now, just because there's nothing else to do at the moment, or I spontanously think it's a good idea. Like in "Ich geh mal eben duschen." Okay, it's hot now, I sweat, well, why not having a shower, i have nothing else to do, it will refresh me, it won't take long. Or "Mach du das mal eben." I'm busy, I have a lot of things to do, hey, you have a little time, why don't you do it? It won't take long, it can be done easily.

"mal" always implies that it is something you do on the fly, casually, in the passing, it's easy, you just do it. "Wenn ich heimkomme, gehe ich erstmal duschen" - I don't have any plans so far, I'm just gonna have a shower first, and then let's see.

"früher mal" - you can translate "formerly" or "in the past" - but that's actually only the "früher". Or "somewhere in the past" or "at one time" - but that's too specific. Actually in "früher mal" it doesn't matter at all when exactly it was.

Combined with an imperative "mal" weakens it and makes it sound less like an order. "Schau mal" is less than "Schau!" - When somebody says "schau mal" I can finish for 10 seconds or so what I'm doing, and look then. When somebody says "schau" I have to stop immediatly and look.

With "schon" it's similar. The temporal meaning can broadly be translated with "already" (though there are also cases, where it doesn't fit perfectly). But the other meaning is hard to translate. "ich mach das schon." - "I'll do it", but the "schon" here says "don't worry". Still when you add "don't worry" it seems to be a little too much. When you say "don't worry, I'll do it" it implies that the other person actually worries or doesn't trust you. "ich mach das schon" usually doesn't imply that.

"Das wird schon gut gehen". "It will turn out fine", "it will end well" - uhm... not the same thing. The English version more sounds like a promise or a prediction, while the German version sounds like a hope, you are willing to share with somebody.

These are words that relativize and put another perspective on a statement. Especially in the case of "mal" it's basically a more relaxed view.

"noch" is a little different, but also very common and in the end not well translatable. "Gestern noch fand ich den Weg zu dir" - "Yesterday, I still found the way to you" - "Until yesterday/today I found the way to you". The first version doesn't clearly enough say, that today I can't find it anymore. The second version changes the meaning with using yesterday or completely forgets yesterday with using today. In the German expression with "noch" there's a lot of melancholy you can't easily transfer to English.

I translate many texts from German to English. The things that bother me most, aren't very complicated expressions or difficult words, they are all these little expressions you can add in German to change the perspective and meaning slightly. They are so common in German, but still there are no equivalents in English.

Sorry, I'm wandering off. To finally answer your question. I don't think you can translate it here. If I had to, I would use "just" in this case. "I just have to go there, just to East-Berlin". "Just now" can't be used here. To the contrary, the time in this case doesn't matter. "mal eben" here means, that it should be no problem to just go to East-Berlin anytime. You just get on a train and you're there. It's that relaxed view, the "hey, it's no problem, why not just doing it now"-thing "mal" contains, that I described above. "hey, i have to go there now, so well, I just go there, what's the matter?" - that's what is said in the lyrics above. And the whole point is that you couldn't "mal eben" go there, or "mal eben" play there with your band.

sry, for the long post. But it's really difficult to explain, as I think English lacks anything like that.
    Last edited by Bernd; 07-23-2010 at 02:12 PM.

larosa said:

it was long,and i was impressed how could you write all of this and be so much useful actually,i enjoyed reading it word by word,as it makes it clearer for me,and you're right english cannot express some other expressions in other language ,that"s why it's easier to learn than any other language
    i see why it doesn't have an exact meaning,that depends on the context and on the expression followed by them
    thanks a lot for your effort i really really appreciate it ,that was so kind and helpful,thanks a million
    life is Super good
    (this is bull ****)

Tahira said:

Thank you Bernd for the long and detailled explanation.

Anothe rinteresteing thing might be that the expression "mal eben" is more used in the middle and northern parts of Germany. I live in the south and I would rather say "schnell"

I need bread, I just go to the bakery.
    I brauche Brot, ich gehe schnell zum Bäcker.
    instead of: ... ich gehe mal eben zum Bäcker.

But I do not want to confuse you, Larosa. But Bernds explanation is very clear and detailled.

larosa said:

yeah tahira i feel lucky with a small little expression i get all of that,thanks guys you are all amaizing
    life is Super good
    (this is bull ****)

Macbard said:

Hello Tahira, Bernd & Larosa

@ Bernd - Thank you for the detailed explanation. I still have much to learn.

@ Tahira - Thanks for the info about the song. I did gather that this was a protest about not being allowed to perform in the east. Very funny song. And I believe their policy did not keep his music out of the hands of those in East Germany. Thanks also for the link to the other song. It is very nice.
    Wenn man dem Hass freien Lauf läßt, wird er die Seele von innen zerstören.

amaryn said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tahira View Post
    Super!

When Germany was divided into 2 parts, the western singers were not allowed to give concerts in the eastern part. The comunist regime did not want this and that´s what Udo Lindenberg is mourning.

This is also a very popular song by Udo Lindenberg, somthing to think about, its about a beloved person who died
    Hi! Yes, famous is the concert at Brandenburg Tor so that the so calles "ossies" could listen to Udo who sang on the westside of Berlin. The year I don't remember:rolleyes.
    Wolf Bierman on the otherhand moved from the West to The East, but disappointed after some
    years returned to the West as he hated the censorship.
    Those were the days, obviously.
    Ja, da muss man mal eben wieder zurück
    Last edited by amaryn; 02-17-2012 at 07:23 AM.

amaryn said:

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tahira View Post
    Super!

Yes, Tahira, Der Honecker sah so schlau aus mit der Brille, konnte dennoch keine Biene sein und deshalb kein Honig produzieren(hahaha)