Learning hebrew - The alphabet

Thread: Learning hebrew - The alphabet

Tags: None

yosis said:

Quote Originally Posted by feuersteve View Post
    I have another question. Are all words a specific gender, like German, French, Spanish, etc. or do only obvious things like people and animals have male and female?
    Each word has a male or female, even if that noun
    And there is also exceptions that it also M and F
    For example:
    knife - Sakin
    sun - Shemesh
    face - Panim
    way - dereh

Male:
    Traffic lights - Ramzor
    Table -Sulhan
    Tree - Etze

female:
    Truck - Masaeit
    Library - Sifriya
    Hill - Givaa

2. 1inamillion1 said:

What do you mean. I don't know what you mean by a french "R". I speak German so I know that sound.

I learned Hebrew in grade school in America, so I know the letters. But, unfortunately, we learned to read with vowels so I can't read modern Hebrew.
    Yeah, I think it's the same as a German "R". Listen to French people - how they say "rendez-vous" or "au revoir".

3. 1inamillion1 said:

I have another question. Are all words a specific gender, like German, French, Spanish, etc. or do only obvious things like people and animals have male and female?
    Yes, all words have a gender - and plural genders. Also, some singular words in English are exclusively plural in Hebrew - for example:
    Life = chayim (lives)
    Sky = shamayim (skies)

Even though these words could technically be singular (chay, shama) they just...aren't.

I think the gender system is a bit more complicated in Hebrew than in Spanish or French, because some words are masculine in singular but feminine in plural - but are still verbs or adjectives related to them are still conjugated in masculine plural (and vice versa with other combinations).

For example
    place = makom (masc) "hamakom hagadol" = the big place
    places = mekomot (fem) "hamekomot hagdolim" the big places (usually a feminine plural noun would use "hagdolot"

feuersteve said:

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    Yeah, I think it's the same as a German "R". Listen to French people - how they say "rendez-vous" or "au revoir".
    I don't have any French people to listen to....it's been a long time since I was there and all the French people I talked to spoke English. Maybe some of my German friends who speak French can advise me. But Germans speak lousy French...

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    I think the gender system is a bit more complicated in Hebrew than in Spanish or French, because some words are masculine in singular but feminine in plural - but are still verbs or adjectives related to them are still conjugated in masculine plural (and vice versa with other combinations).

For example
    place = makom (masc) "hamakom hagadol" = the big place
    places = mekomot (fem) "hamekomot hagdolim" the big places (usually a feminine plural noun would use "hagdolot"
    Actually, that may be common. In German, plural declines almost exactly like feminine singular. Also, they have informal and formal, the formal is basically the same as the plural.

Sprechen Sie deutsch? Formal: do you speak german?

Sprechen sie deutsch? Plural: do you speak german?
    Gott zur Ehr, dem nächsten zur Wehr

What if they gave a fire and nobody came.

5. 1inamillion1 said:

I don't have any French people to listen to....it's been a long time since I was there and all the French people I talked to spoke English. Maybe some of my German friends who speak French can advise me. But Germans speak lousy French...

Actually, that may be common. In German, plural declines almost exactly like feminine singular. Also, they have informal and formal, the formal is basically the same as the plural.

Sprechen Sie deutsch? Formal: do you speak german?

Sprechen sie deutsch? Plural: do you speak german?
    Yeah, kiiiiind of. Except those ones I gave are strange exceptions. The usual is more like this:

אתה מדבר עברית? = ata medaber ivrit? (do you speak Hebrew? masc singular)
    את מדברת עברית = at medaberet ivrit? (do you speak Hebrew? fem singular)
    אתם מדברים עברית? = atem medabrim ivrit? (do you speak Hebrew? masc/mixed plural)
    אתן מדברות עברית? = aten medabrot ivrit? (do you speak Hebrew? feminine plural)

The past and future tenses are more complicated. If you have ever studied Arabic it's almost exactly the same but with more sound changes.

Also I'll give you an example of how adjectives are used (this is more like Spanish or French)

ילד גדול - yeled gadol - big boy
    ילדה גדולה - yalda gdola - big girl
    ילדים גדולים - yeladim gdolim - big boys/boys and girls
    ילדות גדולות - big girls

feuersteve said:

I am familiar that Hebrew puts the adjectives after the nouns like a lot of romance languages,,,NOW! When I was a kid, I didn't know the difference between adjectives and adverbs, so I always failed the tests!
    Gott zur Ehr, dem nächsten zur Wehr

What if they gave a fire and nobody came.

7. RudyG said:

תהיה בריא
    Transliteration: tih'ye baree
    In English: Get Well or Be Well (as in healthy)
    In Russian: Будь Здоров
    Note: This is the masculine form, so this would be said to a man
    Last edited by RudyG; 03-05-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error

8. PIMOS said:

Quote Originally Posted by RudyG View Post
    תהי בריא
    Transliteration: tih'ye baree
    In English: Get Well or Be Well (as in healthy)
    In Russian: Будь Здоров
    Note: This is the masculine form, so this would be said to a man
    אם חולה מישהו אני לומר עבור זה תיהיה בריא , זה אומר הוא להרגיש יותר טוב

9. RudyG said:

Quote Originally Posted by PIMOS View Post
    אם חולה מישהו אני לומר עבור זה תיהיה בריא , זה אומר הוא להרגיש יותר טוב
    אתה צודק

With the flu season upon us many of my family members in Israel are either getting over a cold or just getting started with one. So I thought this phrase would be appropriate.