Learning hebrew - The alphabet

Thread: Learning hebrew - The alphabet

Tags: None

shhora said:

Default Learning hebrew - The alphabet

hebrew is the language of Israel and it is written from right to left

here are the letters (if i made mistakes, please correct me)

א – alef - it's a silent letter and the transliterations: a

ב - bet - (b as in boy, or v as in vine) - transliteration: b or v

ג - gimmel - (g as in girl) - transliteration: g

ד - dalet - (d as in duck) - transliteration: d

ה - he - (h as in hay) - transliteration: h

ו - vav - transliteration: v

ז - zayin - (z as in zoo) - transliteration: z

ח - chet - (ch as in bach) - transliteration: ch or h

ט - tet - (t as in time) - transliteration: t

י - yod - (y as in yes) - transliteration: y

כ - kaf - transliteration: k

ך - final kaf

ל - lamed (l as in lime) - transliteration: l

מ - mem (m as in mom) - transliteration: m

ם - final mem

נ - nun (n as in new) - transliteration: n

ן - final nun

ס - samech (s as in sun) - transliteration: s

ע - ayin - silent letter

פ - pe (p as in park) - transliteration: p

ף - final pe

צ - tsadi (ts as in nuts) - transliteration: ts

ץ - final tsadi

ק - qof (K) - transliteration: k

ר - resh (r as in rush) - transliteration: r

ש - shin (sh as in sunshine) - transliteration: sh

ת - tav (t as in task) - transliteration: t

what is good to know, in hebrew there are no capital letters
    Last edited by shhora; 09-24-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    "Love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person."

herr_mannelig said:

need to memorize

3. Nadi said:

why are you saying that א and ע are silent letters?

and about the capital letters... it is not 100% true.
    there is a printed form and hand-write form...
    like in this picture:

the printed form:

shhora said:

well in english when we start a phrase we start with a capital letter - A and not a. in hebrew it doesn't exist capital letters, but u know better.

and i must know when i transliterate alef like a or o or u. i think must be some rules

toda raba
    "Love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person."

5. Nadi said:

Quote Originally Posted by shhora View Post

and i must know when i transliterate alef like a or o or u. i think must be some rules
    well there is a lot of rules...
    and it is depends on the 'niqqud" (ניקוד) that attached to the letter.

the full form of Hebrew writing is like this:

you can learn about the niqqud from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...s_%28Hebrew%29
    and here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niqqud

shhora said:

well thanks a lot, i am romanian and i try to study hebrew by myself, i learned the alphabet but when is time to read i can't is to hard .. i don't know what vowel to use

7. Nadi said:

yes... i have this problem too...

i am confusing with Russian sometimes...

shhora said:

at least u can understand hebrew, i don't .. u are russian?

9. Nadi said:

no, Azerbaijan, Caucasus.

10. eiad said:

algebra said:

Shalom, shhora & all.

What a nice thread. It's so nice to see people interested on this beautiful language. I'd like to add some points, if you allow me to. I'm taking a Hebrew course in the local university here and I'm so sorry that you're on your own. Learning Hebrew by myself never worked to me . So let's see:

1) "ו" (Vav) not always must be transliterated as an V. One must learn the pointed system to understand it. It can be an O or an U and it is this the most part of the cases. In the absence of a vav or an yod on the left of a consonant in the unpointed system, one can deduce the vowel in a consonant as A or E usually.

טוב - tov - good
    גדול - gadol - big
    סטודנט - student - student
    כל טוב - kol tuv

2) The symbol ש can be two letters: both for the hissing SH or silabant S

שרית - Sarit
    שלי - sheli - mine

3) The symbol "כ" can be two letters: the hard KAF or the gutural CHAF, similar to CHET. There is no final KAF. Actually in the end, it is supposed to be a CHAF. For a K in the end one uses KOF

כף - kaf - spoon
    נכון - nachon - right
    רך - rach - soft
    רק - rak - only

4) The symbol פ can be the letters "PEI" or "FEI". There is no final PEI, actually in the end, a final FEI will always be a FEI.

פה - po - here
    אפריקה - Africa
    כף - kaf - spoon

PEI can be used in the end usually for non-Hebrew words to mean the plosive P

סירופ = sirop = syrup
    פריסקופ - periscop - periscope

5) Besides an I, an yod can also work as the vocalical clusters ya, ye. In combination with vav, it can be yo or yu

איסמאל - Ismael
    ים - yam - sea
    יפה - yafe - beautiful
    ילד - yeled - boy
    יופי - yofi - beauty
    יורי - Yuri

6) Alef and Hayn can, in fact, be silent too, and one must bear in mind that they usually indicate an vowel (in the absense of a vav or an yod on the left to mean i, o or u, generally). They also can stand for an E. Actually it is not them which is transliterated but the vowel right below it on the pointed system:

ישראל - Israel
    אתה - atah - you (male)
    אש - esh - fire
    שאול - Saul
    עברית - ivrit - hebrew

7) I'd rather say that sound of RESH is the Spanish R in caro, ahora. The English word rush seems not be very accurate to me.

Here the pointed version:

I don't know if you all are already doing it, but learning the cursive form of the Hebrew letters is a plus when learning Hebrew language, because you will be able to write down the words and memorize them.

If one is not working with the full Hebrew system, learning the orthography of the words is a prime. I like learning the pointed form of a word at first, because the consonants will follow more easily. It feels like learning Chinese, a case of picturing the word and not only spelling it.

Well, I don't agree with Nadi, my teacher who is an israeli told us that there is no capital letters in Hebrew. Actually some letters in the cursive version are pictured a little taller than the others, but this is independent on the position of them in a word. But I'll ask him again

Shalom, l'hitra-od
    Last edited by algebra; 10-13-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    O coração da gente chega lateja
    A gente só deseja passar bem
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

algebra said:

Here there is a nice online quiz for the aleph-bet. A letter will be pronounced and one must click on the correspondent one. Note that CHAF and FEI will always stand for the final ones. I took over two hours to learn the aleph-bet. But, of couse, the letters alone will not help that much. Learning and writing words is the way. It will improve reading, you'll see.

!כל טוב

http://www.languageguide.org/im/alpha/he/alpha_quiz.jsp
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

13. Nadi said:

Quote Originally Posted by algebra View Post
    Shalom, shhora & all.

שלי - sheli - mine

3) The symbol "כ" can be two letters: the hard KAF or the gutural CHAF, similar to CHET. There is no final KAF. Actually in the end, it is supposed to be a CHAF. For a K in the end one uses KOF

איסמאל - Ismael
    Well, I don't agree with Nadi, my teacher who is an israeli told us that there is no capital letters in Hebrew. Actually some letters in the cursive version are pictured a little taller than the others, but this is independent on the position of them in a word. But I'll ask him again

Shalom, l'hitra-od
    Hi algebra,
    1. Sheli can be a female name too.., BTW.
    2. the symbol CHAF and CHET are NOT to similar...
    3. what is איסמאל? there is not such word... did you mean ישמעל?
    4. i did not said the in Hebrew there are Capital letters. i meant there is a different form from hand-writing and the "book like" form.

but thanks for the correction...

algebra said:

Hi Nadi, I don't mean the symbol for CHET but the sound of it. And thanks for correcting that spelling, I kinda messed up.
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

shhora said:

thanks a lot algebra .... lately i amde some transliterations and i've been observed that pei is sometimes fei

well thank u very much, here i didn't find any hebrew classes

16. 1inamillion1 said:

Great thread :-)

The Hebrew alphabet is quite difficult to learn for people who don't speak a Semitic language (even if they do it's still hard). But honestly, once you learn a little bit about grammar it makes TOTAL sense 95% of the time. One day it will all just CLICK for you and you'll totally understand the reasoning behind it :-)

א and ע aren't "silent" letters but they don't have a sound without niqqud or another letter to make them into a sound (in Modern Hebrew). ע used to be pronounced the same as ع in Arabic (3ayin) but it's not really anymore - it's pronounced the same as א but often it's used for "e" vowels whereas א is more used for "a" vowels (NOT always, this is just a very very simple generalisation).

Also ר (resh) is not like Spanish "r" or English "r" or Arabic "ر" at all. It used to be. Especially in some music ("Mizrachit" (oriental) music, like Eyal Golan/Sarit Hadad etc etc etc etc) they still pronounce it like that. But in Modern Hebrew it's pronounced like French "r". Do not, do not TRY deliberately to pronounce it as "r" in English or Spanish because you will instantly come off as a foreigner. If you can't pronounce "ר" like French "r" that's TOTALLY fine and you will still be perfectly understood. All I'm saying is that if you want to try to sound like a native then don't purposely try to learn it the wrong way :-)

Most importantly, Hebrew is not hard to pronounce or spell in guys, or even to learn. It's a great language and it is very confusing in the beginning but like I said, one day it will just CLICK and everything will be easy from then! The spelling system is actually 10000000000000000000% easier than English (but English is probably the worst). There aren't really hidden or strange changing sounds.

All the best guys! Keep learning - it's worth it!

17. 1inamillion1 said:

Keep studying guys! :-p

18. Mimmy79 said:

איזה יופי
    !!!!
    תודה Algebra!
    i hope i wrote "thank you so much" :-)
    after your explanation now everything is more clear to me!
    i only need a dictionary now! :-))

feuersteve said:

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    Also ר (resh) is not like Spanish "r" or English "r" or Arabic "ر" at all.
    What do you mean. I don't know what you mean by a french "R". I speak German so I know that sound.

I learned Hebrew in grade school in America, so I know the letters. But, unfortunately, we learned to read with vowels so I can't read modern Hebrew.
    Gott zur Ehr, dem nächsten zur Wehr

What if they gave a fire and nobody came.

feuersteve said:

I have another question. Are all words a specific gender, like German, French, Spanish, etc. or do only obvious things like people and animals have male and female?
    Gott zur Ehr, dem nächsten zur Wehr

What if they gave a fire and nobody came.