Learning Persian and common questions

Thread: Learning Persian and common questions

Tags: None

OutofControl said:

Mercii OutofControl! What 'aya' means
    "aya" in Persian is like "Do" in English. for making a questioning phrase in formal conversation we use "aya".
    I want (something)
    In Persian :
    Formal : Man (Chizi) Ra Mikhaham.
    Informal : Man (Chizi) ro mikhaam.
    He/she did/do (something)
    In Persian :
    Oon kari ro injam mide.
    and tell how to bend words in past tense? Like she goes - She was going etc. Thaanks!
    it's more complex to explain here. but for example :

you go to this house : to be in khoune miri
    you went to this house : to be in khoune rafti
    you will go to this house : to be in khoune khahi raft.

in Persian every verb has it's own root.

GO / WENT ==> Root in Persian : Roo / Raft
    Build / Built ==> Root in Persian : Saaz / Sakht

and more.

i hope it's helpful for you.

2. passi0n said:

OutofControl thank u so much!

3. xvampire said:

guys can you help me? I just decided to learn persian more and I'd like to know something 1st. why the language somewhere is called farsi/persian/iranian, whats official name then? and what do these mean

girl: doostat daram
    guy: man nadaram

1st is I love you/I'm in love with you, right?
    but second I'm not sure, does this mean (No, I do. or No, I dont (love you), I don't love you back?)

also do you have any good sites resources where I could start? so far I have some, but I need more.

pinky_girl said:

Hi dear vampire...such a scary name
    In Iran we call our language "Farsi" but the international name for this language is "persian"...but i'm not sure about it...maybe there is another reason for it...that's what i'm thinking....

yeah the 1st one is correct and the second one means:I don't love you

I just know one site which teaches Persian along other languages...i hope it helps you...: www.livemocha.com

Any other question?

5. xvampire said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    Hi dear vampire...such a scary name
    In Iran we call our language "Farsi" but the international name for this language is "persian"...but i'm not sure about it...maybe there is another reason for it...that's what i'm thinking....

yeah the 1st one is correct and the second one means:I don't love you

I just know one site which teaches Persian along other languages...i hope it helps you...: www.livemocha.com

Any other question?
    thanks a lot, I have that finally cleared up now xD

so far that's all regarding questions, when I have more I'll come back :]

and thanks a lot for the site, I'll check it.

6. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by xvampire View Post
    guys can you help me? I just decided to learn persian more and I'd like to know something 1st. why the language somewhere is called farsi/persian/iranian, whats official name then? and what do these mean

girl: doostat daram
    guy: man nadaram

1st is I love you/I'm in love with you, right?
    but second I'm not sure, does this mean (No, I do. or No, I dont (love you), I don't love you back?)

also do you have any good sites resources where I could start? so far I have some, but I need more.
    Hi Dear xvampire
    Iran has 2 names one which is used by natives is Iran and one which was used by western world was Persia (like Germany, Jordan, Netherland,...). In 1935 the king of Iran (Reza Shah) asked other countries to use the name which local people use. So little by little western world start using the name Iran,Iranian. But in 1959 his son Mohammadreza Shah announced that Iran and Persia can be used interchangeably.

About the name Farsi. Farsi is literally Parsi but Arabs couldn't pronounce P so they say Farsi

Hope it helps

7. xvampire said:

hi my friends :] I have a few more words/sentences to ask

شما خوب خوابيديد ديشب. google translates it as Khvabydyd you good night. so I don't know if first word is slang, so it doesnt recognize it?

same problem with these words
    پوشيديد
    آغوشم
    شمادر
    اينه بيشتر مردم.
    Last edited by xvampire; 09-19-2011 at 01:32 PM.

pinky_girl said:

Hi dear
    شما خوب خوابيديد ديشب=Did you sleep well last night?
    Let me tell you something , google translate is just so awkward for translating a phrase or a sentence but it's good just for words but not all the time...so as u can see it has translated the sentence totally wrong!

پوشيديد= You (plural) put on(past tense) / you wore

آغوشم= in my arms
    شمادر
    اينه بيشتر مردم. =
    I don't know whether شمادر andاينه بيشتر مردم are related and belong to a sentence or not and maybeاينه should be like this: آینه (ayene)
    anyway the first one means (شمادر )=you in

بيشتر مردم = most of people
    آینه (ayene)= the mirror
    اينه=this is...

9. xvampire said:

wow that was very fast, thank you very very much :] one more thing, is this translator good to translate farsi in latin letters or is it wrong? http://mylanguages.org/farsi_romanization.php
    that sentence I can't make it out:
    وقتي شما لب خند مي زنيد لب شما يجور خاص مي شود. و من دوست دارم

and what about these words?
    آياشما؟
    ببوسم
    Last edited by xvampire; 09-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.

pinky_girl said:

It's not that good and there are some mistakes too, so to see the differesnce I write this sentence"وقتي شما لب خند مي زنيد لب شما يجور خاص مي شود. و من دوست دارم " in english alphabet and then I compare it to the one that the site has made :

The right transcription :
    Vaghti shoma labkhand mizanid labe shoma ye joore khas mishavad va man doost daram.

This is the site anwer :

wqty shma lb khnd my znyd lb shma yjwr khas my shwd. w mn dwst darm.

they are quite different , don't u think?

the meaning of the sentence= When you smile , your lips shape is kind of unique and I like it...

Do you=آياشما؟
    ببوسم =(so that) I kiss...

pinky_girl said:

pinky_girl said:

13. xvampire said:

wow thank you so so much for these sites I will bookmark them now. I really appreciate it. :]

and yes I see now his site translits it totally wrong 0.o is there any other converter that is better than this? cause since I don't know to read alphabet yet, it could help me when I learn it :]

what about that sentence?
    شب بخير عشقم دوست دارم عزيرم

pinky_girl said:

Right now I don't have any converter site in my mind..but i 'll search to see what i can find for you..

شب بخير عشقم دوست دارم عزيرم =Good night my love , I love you baby!

**I should say good night to you, too ,cause i'm gonna go to bed...it's 1:15 A.M... so " shab bekheyr"(good night) my friend!

15. xvampire said:

you are very kind, what would I do without your help hehe thanks a lot if you will search for it, appreciate it :] yep, I know Iran is 2hrs ahead of my time, soo goodnight to you, shab bekheyr,. I'll try to memorize that :]

16. xvampire said:

Quote Originally Posted by saminjv View Post
    Hi Dear xvampire
    Iran has 2 names one which is used by natives is Iran and one which was used by western world was Persia (like Germany, Jordan, Netherland,...). In 1935 the king of Iran (Reza Shah) asked other countries to use the name which local people use. So little by little western world start using the name Iran,Iranian. But in 1959 his son Mohammadreza Shah announced that Iran and Persia can be used interchangeably.

About the name Farsi. Farsi is literally Parsi but Arabs couldn't pronounce P so they say Farsi

Hope it helps

hello, thanks a lot for your reply too! yes, I knew Iran previously was called Persia, but I wasn't sure what contributed to the change, so even years after now it still has 2 names, but official one most used is Iran and not Persia, correct?

I didn't know that about farsi, nice to know, thank you, but what do Arabs have to do with iranians, I thought they're two separate people and only thing Iran uses from arabs is their writing? :]

17. his.angel said:

hi there could someone please translate this phrase for me .. man doost daram to mani me bari cienami

p.s. thank you for the links!!!! =D

18. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by his.angel View Post
    hi there could someone please translate this phrase for me .. man doost daram to mani me bari cienami

Hi
    Your sentence is not very clear "man doost daram" means "I like" but the reset doesn't make sense.It might be some Finglish (Farsi in English alphabet) misunderstanding. Do you have the sentence in Farsi alphabet?

19. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by xvampire View Post
    hello, thanks a lot for your reply too! yes, I knew Iran previously was called Persia, but I wasn't sure what contributed to the change, so even years after now it still has 2 names, but official one most used is Iran and not Persia, correct?

I didn't know that about farsi, nice to know, thank you, but what do Arabs have to do with iranians, I thought they're two separate people and only thing Iran uses from arabs is their writing? :]
    Hello,
    Let me explain more very very long time ago Iran was very big, local people called their country Iran and called themselves Iranian. However the name of the language was Parsi, maybe that's why other countries called us Persian.

When Arabs attacked us they changed our religion and our alphabet, and many many arabic words came to our language. Little by little some words changed due to the lack of Arabic alphabet (it doesn't have P like Poland,CH like cheez,G like Google,ZH like jour (in french)).For example Parsi---> Farsi, Papak-->Babak.

Nowadays the official name is Iran, but most of Iranian like to be called Persian.

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by his.angel View Post

I think the right sentence should be like this : Man doost daram to mano bebari cinama
    meaning=I'd like you to take me to the cinema...

p.s.:you're welcome