Learning Persian and common questions

Thread: Learning Persian and common questions

Tags: None

Sha7ab said:

Yeah sure,
    An example for "anymore" ==> Digeh dooset nadaram (I don't love you anymore)
    An example for "again" ===> Digeh esmamo nayar (Don't call my name again)
    And I don't remember a sentence for yet but I have seen it a lot. I also can say "digeh" has more meanings than just these three which unfortunately I can't remember. Maybe I will help better if you be more specific.
    Death is the Road to Awe

Aziza04 said:

Okay now I think I understand more... Thanks! If there's any sentence I know I'll tell you so you can translate it for me, because i've seen the word dige a lot of times :P

Albruna said:

What does گرت mean? My dictionnary says it's a short form of اگرترا but then doesn't give a translation for that word. And Google Translate says it means "Garrett"

4. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by Albruna View Post
    What does گرت mean? My dictionnary says it's a short form of اگرترا but then doesn't give a translation for that word. And Google Translate says it means "Garrett"
    Hi
    The correct form is "اگر ترا". I mean "اگر" is one word and "ترا" is another the first one means "if" and the second mean "you". "ترا" is literally "تو + را " in which "را" is a prep. to show Object in transitive verbs. For example "اگر ترا داشتم" means "If I had you" . Just remember it is used in poems and literature

5. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by Aziza04 View Post
    What does "dige" mean in english?
    "dige" has alot of different meaning, you should pay attention the sentence. For eaxmple
    "ye rooze dige" (یک روز دیگه) ---> "another day"
    "dige chi" (دیگه چی) ----> what else

6. saminjv said:

Quote Originally Posted by xvampire View Post
    hi again girls...hmm can anyone say what does this mean بخاطر من نميايد

and
    شكالي ندارد
    شما عشق من هستيد
    يك عمر من منتظر شما مي مانم
    Hi
    I want to add a note to Sha7ab answer.
    "بخاطر من نميايد" can also means "I can't remember you" but in formal conversations.

Aziza04 said:

Salam dostane aziz! I've been trying to learn farsi for a few months, but I have one problem; I can't speak the language because it's hard for me to make sentences... I don't know where I put the words, and when I can for example use 'dige', 'ra', and some others. Would be very happy if you guys could help me! I've been trying a lot! It would mean everything for me if I could speak Farsi fluently!

pinky_girl said:

To get started you should know that for making sentences in Farsi , you have to start with the subject at the beginning, then you will add the object and the place of the verb would be always at the end of the sentence. but in conversation it's so common to change the place of verb and you can bring it earlier.
    for example:
    I saw my friend at school

Man doostam ra dar madrese didam(formal)
    subject+object+adv of place+verb

**pay attention to "ra"**..it's the sign of object in Farsi..whenever you bring an object you have to bring "ra" after that...

in conversation the sentence above can change to these forms and all of them have the same meaning:

Man doostamo too madrese didam.
    too madrese doostamo didam.
    doostamo too madrese didam.

**too=dar(at)**
    **instead of saying "doostam ra" we say "doostam ro" or simply "doostamo"...

another example:
    I went home

Man be khane raftam(formal)

Man khoone raftam(informal)
    Man raftam khoone(informal)
    raftam khoone(informal)

Aziza04 said:

Ooh thanks! That helped me a lot! Now I start to understand how to make sentences... But I need some more exercises thanks! So how do I for exaple say: I'm going to my sisters place tomorrow?

Sha7ab said:

how do I for exaple say: I'm going to my sisters place tomorrow?
    Man Farda Be Khaneye Khaharam Miravam.
    Sister's place= Khaneye khaharam.
    Death is the Road to Awe

Aziza04 said:

Merci azizam!
    What is the base form for 'miravam'? How do I for exapmle say: you are going to your sisters place tomorrow. Or: he/she is going to their sisters place tomorrow?

Sha7ab said:

Merci azizam!
    What is the base form for 'miravam'? How do I for exapmle say: you are going to your sisters place tomorrow. Or: he/she is going to their sisters place tomorrow?
    base form of "miravam" is "raftan".
    you are going to your sister's tomorrow = to farda be khaneye khaharat miravi.
    he/she is going to his/her sister's tomorrow= oo farda be khaneye khaharash miravad.
    Death is the Road to Awe

Albruna said:

Or you can use the formal version and say: oo farda be khaneye khahare khod khahad raft, that would be really funny

pinky_girl said:

oh that's way too formal I prefer informal:OOn farda mire khooneye khaharesh!

Sha7ab said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    oh that's way too formal I prefer informal:OOn farda mire khooneye khaharesh!
    You prefer it because your native lg is Farsi but for foreign learners formal forms could be easier than informal. At least formal forms have structure but in informal sentences there is no such thing as rule and structure.
    I guess it's best for SLL(2nd language learners) to learn Farsi in formal forms first.
    Death is the Road to Awe

Albruna said:

That's true... but I for one have the opposite problem: I know the grammar of formal Farsi pretty well by now but when I try to translate spoken words or poems I'm at a loss because even if I understand all the words (I can look them up after all) I have no idea what the sentence as a whole means.

pinky_girl said:

let me tell you something..don't worry about poems cause I'm native and still can't understand some poems completely and about slangs and idioms and informal words you just need to learn and memorize them...so from now on I talk really informal to help you improve your informal vocab

Kama_K said:

Hiiiii everyone. I haven't been here in such a long time :O
    I missed my lessons & it seems I have alot to catch up on :O
    Hmmm where do I start?! :P

Kama_K said:

Can we just say (informally): farda be khooneye khahaharam miram or farda miram khooneye khaharam??

pinky_girl said:

BOTH ARE CORRECT..bravo dooste azizam