Learning Persian and common questions

Thread: Learning Persian and common questions

Tags: None

Albruna said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    let me tell you something..don't worry about poems cause I'm native and still can't understand some poems completely and about slangs and idioms and informal words you just need to learn and memorize them...so from now on I talk really informal to help you improve your informal vocab
    In kheily mehreban ast
    But when I say poems, I don't mean Rumi, I just tried to translate song lyrics and the like and often I don't even understand them

pinky_girl said:

In Farsi we never say "in kheyli mehraban ast".. If you mean "that's very kind of you" you should say : Shoma Kheyli lotf darid!
    Oh I see...well that's because songs are full of informal words so that's normal not to understand them but If you keep listening I'm sure you'll get good results!!

Albruna said:

I'll do that then But would I really say "shoma" in this case? Is it common in Farsi to use this more polite form in internet forums?
    Yeah, they're a strange mix of poetic language and informal expressions...

pinky_girl said:

If u want to make it informal it could be like this : kheyli lotf dari.... and it's not necessary to use :shoma: even in formal form I mean that would be enough if u just say : kheyli lotf darid...so if u use plural form of the verb it's formal but singular verb is informal..

Aziza04 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Albruna View Post
    Or you can use the formal version and say: oo farda be khaneye khahare khod khahad raft, that would be really funny
    Hahaha that was hard to pronounce, I mean the whole sentence especially "...khaneye khahare khod khahad..."

Aziza04 said:

How do I say: "I'm going home"?
    "daram miram khoone"? or "miram khoone"?
    Maybe both of the sentences are wrong, correct it for me, please

pinky_girl said:

I'm going home= Daram miram khoone/miram khoone (both are correct)

Aziza04 said:

I'm going home= Daram miram khoone/miram khoone (both are correct)
    Yeey! but what does "daram" mean? like everytime theres "daram" in a sentence what does it mean?

pinky_girl said:

It's used for showing present continous tense...In english we use "to be+ing" but in Farsi we use "dar+(am, i ,ad ,im,id,and)+mi+present verb.

For example:
    I'm eating=Daram mikhoram
    You're eating=Dari mikhori
    He/she's eating=Darad mikhorad (informal=dare mikhore)
    We're eating=Darim mikhorim
    They're eating=Darand mikhorand(informa=daran mikhoran)
    You're eating(plural)=Drid mikhorid

pinky_girl said:

another example :

I'm coming= Daram miyam
    You're coming=Dari miyay
    He/she's coming=Dare miyad
    We're coming=Darim miyaym
    They're coming=Daran miyan
    You(plural) are coming=Darid miyayd

Albruna said:

Quote Originally Posted by Aziza04 View Post
    Hahaha that was hard to pronounce, I mean the whole sentence especially "...khaneye khahare khod khahad..."
    I know, that's why I found it funny

Also thank you pinky_girl, I'm learning loads from you that my textbook didn't tell me

Aziza04 said:

Heheh

I've always been wondering what 'delnavazan' means and I've got different answeres. Does anyone know what the correct translation is?

pinky_girl said:

well I really don't know how to translate "delnavazan" but "delnavaz" means something which is pleasing and give pleasure and "delnavazan" is plural form of "delnavaz".

pinky_girl said:

*Albruna* , I'm glad it was helpful...I'm thinking to teach you guys some grammartical points every weekend cause that's the only time that I have enough free timedo u agree?what about starting with"present and past tense"??I can conjugate some verbs for you so you'll see what's going on...and i'll also give you some homework..

Albruna said:

Well, when it comes to formal Farsi, I think I know all the tenses. I've been working through a Farsi textbook this past year, the problem is that it didn't teach me anything about spoken Persian... and also that it takes a while to get used to the sentence structures which are very different from the languages I already know.

Albruna said:

It would really help me though if you (or anyone else who speaks Farsi) could correct the translation I posted here

17. mohsen zakaee said:

مطلب جالبی نوشتی ذستت درد نکنه همین که ایرانی و عرب رو با هم تفکیک کردی

Aziza04 said:

well I really don't know how to translate "delnavazan" but "delnavaz" means something which is pleasing and give pleasure and "delnavazan" is plural form of "delnavaz".
    oh okay I understand. Can you use that word in sentences? Or when can you use it?

19. deepblue said:

Quote Originally Posted by Aziza04 View Post
    oh okay I understand. Can you use that word in sentences? Or when can you use it?
    I think "delnavazan" have dif. means for example: he play lovestory by "tar" that delnavaz is equal with lovestory so delnavazan means lovestories
    (del +navazan) del means heart & navaz may means "pleasure" or "caress"
    at all delnavazan perhaps use as a name and somtimes as an adjective and adverb for lovers or caregivers of lovers
    Last edited by deepblue; 10-21-2011 at 02:53 PM.

20. Ram Deniz said:

you can write xaneye xaher