Learning Persian and common questions

Thread: Learning Persian and common questions

Tags: None

amaryn said:

Salam! ! I seem to understand more and more that informal use of Farsi language shortens the words (nouns and verbs) often considerably!

man midaham > man midam (I give)
    man miravam > man miram (I say )
    man mikhaham > man mikham (I want)

the same is true for the examples you gave:

my books: ketabhaye man > ketabhayam > ketabaam
    your books:ketabhaye to >ketabhayat >ketabaat.....
    my friend : doste man > dostam
    your friend: doste to > dostat
    his friend: doste ou > dostash

I got a little mixed up though which is formal/informal here:

doste man or dostam, etc?
    ketabhaye man or ketabaam, etc....

I noticed "ye" was added . Is there a rule for that?
    - Which suffix in between "ha" and the following consonant/vowel is needed always?

- is there a certain simplification taking place in colloquial speech? (as happens in many other languages!) which makes it
    easier to learn (especially conjugations!)

- Is the plural for human beings different?
    how to say : "a student" >students
    " a friend" > friends ?
    Last edited by amaryn; 02-28-2013 at 03:48 AM.

amaryn said:

now today I have one more question:

preposition + noun in singular /plural

inside the house der dakhel khaneh
    inside the houses der dakhel khanehha

is this correct?
    does the preposition leave the plural nouns unchanged otherwise than the plural"ha"? just like in English (they add very often just a "s") e.g

inside the houses /outside the houses/ underneath the houses/ in front of the houses.......

or does a number of prepositions "demand" changes in noun both in singular and in plural in Farsi?

mamnoon, azizam

Enoo said:

Kheyli kheyli mamnoon Pinky azizam!!! Your explanations are amaziiiing as always

"Male man" will be easy for me to remember as now I often listen to Sirvan's song "Age male man nisti". Everything gets clear now ^^

Hehe "mashin" got also instantly fixed in my memory as Russian word for "car" is very similar, it's "mashyna"

I just have this question: that is the difference between "ast" and "hast"?

@Amaryn: dear Amaryn I think that "ketabaam" is more informal than "ketabhayam" ^^ Like in English the shortest form is usually the most informal: "I do not know > I don't know > I dunno"
    Even after all this time
    The Sun never says to the Earth
    « You owe me »
    Look what happens with a love like that
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Wow so many good questions
    First of all dear amaryn, "man miravam & man miram" means "I go"And "man migooyam & man migam" means "I say"

These are informal >>Ketabaam/Ketabaat/Ketabaash/Ketabaamoon/Ketabaatoon/Ketabashoon

and also these ones: Doostam (my friend)/doostet(your friend) /doostash(his/her friend)/doostemoon(our friend)/doostetoon(your friend)/doosteshoon(their friend)

but you may hear "dooste man, dooste to,..."in conversations, too!!!so you can use both of them in conversation but in writing from you can't use "doostam/doostet/doostesh/doostemoon..."

Actually the reason that we add "ye" is because to pronounce it easily, If you don't add "ye" it would be like "ketabha man" and it's like a pause between these two words so we add "ye" to pronounce it more smoothly!!>>>ketabhaye man!

You know,in Farsi between two nouns, or a noun and adjective there is always a sound like"et" in French!!
    for example:
    my+book>> ketab e man>>ketabe man

good+book>>ketab e khoob>>ketabe khoob

beautiful flower=gol e ziba>>gole ziba

his car=mashin e ou>>mashine ou

so we have always this "e"...when you wanna make plural forms:

my+books>>ketabha e man>>> in plural form "e" turns to "ye">>>ketabha ye man>>>ketabhaye man

good+books>>ketabha e khoob>>ketabha ye khoob>>ketabhaye khoob

So is it clear now???

What do you mean "simplification'??Could you give me some examples in English or French plz?

about plural form for human beings I guess I explained it before in this thread let me find it and I'll tell you on which page I explained it

pinky_girl said:

Yes I found it, page 7: post n 121
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/pe...estions-7.html

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by amaryn View Post
    now today I have one more question:

preposition + noun in singular /plural

inside the house der dakhel khaneh
    inside the houses der dakhel khanehha

is this correct?
    does the preposition leave the plural nouns unchanged otherwise than the plural"ha"? just like in English (they add very often just a "s") e.g

inside the houses /outside the houses/ underneath the houses/ in front of the houses.......

or does a number of prepositions "demand" changes in noun both in singular and in plural in Farsi?

mamnoon, azizam
    yes ,what you've written is correct dearwell done but the way you said it is formal and the informal form is like this:

Inside the house=Too/tooye khoone =توو/تووی خونه

Inside the houses=Too/tooye khooneha=توو/تووی خونه ها

Oustside the house=Biroon az khane(formal)....Biroone khoone/biroon az khoone(both informal)>>بیرون از خانه/بیرون خونه/بیرون از خونه

Outside the houses=Birooz az khaneha(formal)......Biroone khooneha/biroon az khooneha(both informal)>>بیرون از خانه ها/بیرون خونه ها/بیرون از خونه ها

Underneath the house=Zire khane(formal).....zire khoone(informal)>>زیر خانه/زیر خونه

pinky_girl said:

khahesh mikonam dooste golam(dooste golam=my dear friend!)
    Oh I listen to that song,too...kheyli ahange bahal o shadiye!(it's a very cool and cheerful song!)
    yeah I heard before that some of our words are similar to Russian so it's good for you...do you know how to speak Russian?
    both "hast and ast" have the same meaning but "hast" is informal and "ast" is used in writing!
    yeah Enoo you're right....all the words which are shorter or faster to pronunced are informal

Enoo said:

Are, kheyli ahange shadiye ^^

Mamnoon Pinky, in that case I would have thought "ast" was the informal haha

yessss well actually I don't even know if I could still "speak" Russian because I used to study it a little in high school but after a few years all had disappeared like snow in the sun So now when I have some time, i take a dictionary and try to translate some Russian songs but it's not easy and there are not a lot of Russian people stopping by the forum ^^
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

amaryn said:

Mamnoon, as always...How fascinating... Your informal speech is thrilling me. Well, when I said "simplification" it is what you call "informal speech".
    In Farsi that doesnot look any easier to me,lol, but am I forgiven?

In English it's like "we have" (formal) "we've" (informal)
    "because"(formal) "'coz" (informal)
    "I had not" (formal) "I hadn't" (informal)
    IOW: leaving out or contracting as many words or syllables as possible.
    It is speeding up also because of "mobile phone language": writing messages as shortly as possible i.e. thanks =thanx, please =pls, etc

Does this happen also in Farsi language? When writing on mobile phone messages? I am curious

pinky_girl said:

Oh I got you....yeah in Farsi we have those things,toofor example:

Because=zira(very formal),baraye inke , chon(formal and informal), akhe(very informal)>>زیرا/برای اینکه/چون/آخه

For= baraye(برای) , but in conversation we say "bara"(برا), another informal word is "vase"(واسه)we you it very much in conversation for saying "for"

ex:bring it for me=baraye man an ra biyavar(برای من آن را بیاور) (formal)
    bring it for me=baram biyaresh!(informal)
    bring it for me=Vasam biyaresh!(informal)

Hand=dast(دست) but we say it like "das"(دس)...
    ex:give me your hand=dastat ra be man bede(formal)
    give me your hand=dasseto bede man/bede man dasseto(informal)

thank you=moteshakeram(متشکرم) but we say "mochakeram" (مچکرم)

I would like to=Doost daram
    I'd like to=Doos daram

Yes=Bale(بله)
    yeah=Are(آره)

this is what I can remember now but of course they are more I'll tell you the rest of them when I recall them

for example ":
    Salam(hello)=slm
    aks(picture)=ax
    Thanks=Mer30,mesi
    Girl=2khtar
    No more=Dg
    again=2bare
    I=mn
    Me 2=mnm
    these are some of the examples,but I'm not very good at it cause I always text my friends with Persian letters,and I write the whole sentence and everything completelyAnother reason that I use Persian letters is that texting in Persian is cheaper than texting in English,and I text so so much so in order not to get shocked when I receive my bill I use Farsi language for texting

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoo View Post
    Are, kheyli ahange shadiye ^^

Mamnoon Pinky, in that case I would have thought "ast" was the informal haha

yessss well actually I don't even know if I could still "speak" Russian because I used to study it a little in high school but after a few years all had disappeared like snow in the sun So now when I have some time, i take a dictionary and try to translate some Russian songs but it's not easy and there are not a lot of Russian people stopping by the forum ^^
    HAHAHAHAHA
    Oh that's cool, what other languages can you speak?

Enoo said:

Oh it's so great that you have so many ways to express a same thing. It's harder to learn but it's truly beautiful to have such nuances in a language

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    Oh that's cool, what other languages can you speak?
    I used to learn German long long long ago and I also took one year of Spanish but I could speak none of them today... So just English & Russian. Hopefully I'll be able to add Farsi on the list one day
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoo View Post
    Oh it's so great that you have so many ways to express a same thing. It's harder to learn but it's truly beautiful to have such nuances in a language

I used to learn German long long long ago and I also took one year of Spanish but I could speak none of them today... So just English & Russian. Hopefully I'll be able to add Farsi on the list one day
    Yeah having so many ways to express something can be a little complicated but listening Farsi songs can be very useful cause it's full of informal words and pronunciation and expressions
    Oooooooo German is so hard, but I've heard spanish is easy,I remember when I started French and I was too self-confident(!!!)(as I told you before), I wanted to learn Spanish on my own at the same time, I started with numbers and they were a bit like French numbers so I was totally confused and felt that my French is in danger So I gave up Spanish!

amaryn said:

NEVER give up French, azizam! It's beautiful and romantic! Great literature too!

On this snowy sunday afternoon I have a question which I hope to learn to understand better:

Obviously there are 2 ways to express the past:

1) the simple past: budan (to be )
    man budam
    2) a past form which the French call "imparfait"
    man mibudam

another one: raftan (to go)
    1) man raftam
    2) man miraftam

is this correct?

in this case- when using the verb to go I would use the 1) solution if I'd say "I went to school"
    but the 2) solution if I'd say e.g. "He went to school often/ every day.

Right?

Which one I use if I'd say "he went to school yesterday"?

Kheyli mamnoon - as always: Pinkyam

pinky_girl said:

Oh don't worry, French is really special for me so I never ever give it up!C'était toujours mon rêve d'apprende le français
    Oh snow again??I'm jealous, I hadn't any snowy experience this yearand spring has already arrived!!!

yes what you wrote is completely correct! for saying "he went to school yesterday" you gotta use number 1
    he went to school yesterday=Ou dirooz be madrese raft

and also if you wanna use "used to" it would be like this :

He used to go to school=Ou ghablan be madrese miraft!

I was fat=Man chagh boodam

I used to be fat=Man ghablan chagh boodam!

16. babykittyjade said:

Hello!!! I have been browsing this forum for a long time now and I love it!! I want to thank all of you for the input because it is so hard to find Persian learning material that's actually good and I reallllllllly want to learn this language. I might be marrying into a Persian family soon. :-)
    But there is something I can't figure out... Could anyone explain how to say "going to" in Persian.
    In English and Spanish (which I speak) this is a very common word I use all the time such as:
    I am going to read a book and then I am going to sleep
    I am going to cook
    I am going to tell you later
    And so on. How would that be expressed in Persian?

pinky_girl said:

First of all, Hi dear babykittyjadeI'm glad you liked this thread, and it's my pleasure to help you learn FarsiOh you're marrying a Persian Family?that's nice so you really need to learn Farsi
    In Persian usually instead of saying "I'm going to" we say "I want to/ or I want to go do...., for example

I am going to read a book=Mikham beram ye ketab bekhoonam/Mikham ye ketba bekhoonam

I am going to sleep=Mikham beram bekhabam/mikham bekhabam

I am going to cook=Mikham beram ghaza bepazam/mikham ghaza bepazam

I'm gonna go shopping=Mikham beram kharid!/

I'm gonna go to cinema=Mikham beram sinama/mikham sinama beram

I'm gonna study =Mikham beram dars bekhoonam/mikham dars bekhoonam

I am going to tell you later=Badan behet migam(Simple present)/badan migam behet

Enoo said:

How to say this in Farsi lotfan?

Thanks again/once more
    Thank you so much
    Thanks a million
    I cannot thank you enough for...

And if there are other ways to thank someone that can't be translated in English I'd like to know them as well ^^

And what do you respond to these?

(For now I know:
    Khahesh mikonam
    Kari nakardam)

متشکرم!
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Thanks again/once more=Bazam mamnoon=بازم ممنون

Thank you so much=Kheyli mamnoon/kheyli mochakeram=خیلی ممنون/خیلی مچکرم

Thanks a million=>>(this is not common)یه میلیون بار تشکر

Merci infiniment =Binahayat mamnoon=بی نهایت ممنون

Thanks a world= Ye donya mamnoon=یه دنیا ممنون

I cannot thank you enough for...=harcheghad tashakor konam kame=هر چقد تشکر کنم کمه

I don't know how to compensate the things you've done for me=Nemidoonam chejoori zahmatato jobran konam!( "zahmatato" If there is one person or if it's your friend)/("zahmatatoono"if there are more than 1 person or you wanna be polite) =نمیدونی چجوری زحمتاتو /زحمتاتونو جبران کنم

Thank you=Mamnoon/mochaker/tashakor/merci

this one is really common for saying "thank you":
    Dastet dard nakone=دستت درد نکنهIt mean : may your hand never hurt!But it means thank you!

when u wanna say it to your friends you can also say : Daste golet dard nakone!=دست گلت درد نکنه

Zahmat keshidi=زحمت کشیدی it mean you bothered yourself to do that! but actually it means "thank you"
    But be careful! saying only "zahmat keshidi" is not enough....first you should say something like "mamnoon/dastet dard nakone/merci/mochaker/" then you will add "zahmat keshidi....look at this short conversation:

-I bought you some flowers=Barat chanta gol kharidam!=برات یه چنتا گل خریدم

-Oh thank you very much=Kheyli mamnoon, zahmat keshidi!=خیلی ممنون زحمت کشیدی

-Do you like them?=Dooseshoon dari?/azashoon khoshet miyad?=دوسشون داری؟ازشون خوشت میاد؟

-Of course I like them, but you shouldn't have...=Maloome ke dooseshoon daram/maloome ke khosham miyad , vali nabayd inkaro mikardi!=معلومه که دوسشون دارم/معلومه که خوشم میاد، ولی نباید این کارو میکردی
    Last edited by pinky_girl; 03-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.

pinky_girl said:

Now responding to thank you:

Khahesh mikonam=you're welcome=خواهش میکنم

Kari nakardam=I did nothing!=کاری نکردم

ghabeli nadasht/ghabele to ro nadasht(when you are talking to your friends)/ghabele shoma ro nadasht(when you're talking to an elderly or if u wanna be more polite and formal)=قابلی نداشت/قابل تو رو نداشت/قابل شما رو نداشت

"ghabeli nadasht" means "not at all"

Khoshhal shodam=My pleasure!=خوشحال شدم

harfesham nazan=Don't mention it!=حرفشم نزن

Esteda mikonam/tamanna mikonam=استدعا میکنم/تمنا میکنمYou're most welcome>>>These two words are very formal and way too polite