Learning Persian and common questions

Thread: Learning Persian and common questions

Tags: None

pinky_girl said:

Quote Originally Posted by Enoo View Post
    Ghabeli nadasht dear, there is nothing better for memorizing than learning from your own sentences where to place a word or how to use it. Oooh you're so unbeatable now in French manners you said it perfectly, azize delam ^^

I think I now what I like to learn more about now. Some verbs in Farsi work with "az" ("az in khosham miyad"), some others with "ro" ("to ketabe ro/ketabo dari mikhani"). And there is "ye". I don't really understand what represents this "ye" (but that part will be easer with time) and I don't know exactly where it goes. After the last word in the group? Always? Is it always attached to it or sometimes not? I'd be delighted if you could explain a bit how works this "ye", lotfan.
    HahahahahaNo I'm not yet!I'll be unbeatable in French manners when I learn to use 9 different formule de politesse quand je suis dans l'ascenseur
    ok firs of all I should tell you that when you see "ra", "ro", "o" in some sentences, all of them show that the noun or pronoun which are before them, are object!

For example:
    Man ketab ro/ketabo kharidam!= I bought the book!=من کتاب رو/کتابو خریدم

Man Ouno didam=I saw her/him!=من اونو دیدم

"ra" is used in writing and formal letters but in conversation it is changed to "ro" or simply "o"

Ou man ra tark kard(formal)=He left/abandoned me=او من را ترک کرد

Oun mano tark kard (informal)=اون منو ترک کرد

So whenever you see "ra"/"ro" /"o", they are the signs of object! but be careful about "o" cause sometimes it's used instead of "and"...for example :

Ketabo daftar=Book and notebook

Mizao sandali=Table and chair

ghashogho changal=Spoon and fork

Zano mard=woman and man

Zano shohar=wife and husband

what if we have "and" plus "object"?? then it would be like this...

Zano shoharo didam=I saw wife and husband!

The first "o" means "and" and the second "on" is the sign of object..

"Ye" is the short form of "Yek" which means "one"...it can also have other meanings,too...I'm gonna give you different sentences to understand

Oun ye dokhtar dare!=She/he has a girl(daughter)=اون یه دختر داره

Ye chizi bede bokhoram!=Give me something to eat!=یه چیزی بده بخورم

Mikham ye chizi behet begam=I want to tell you something!=میخوام یه جیزی بهت بگم

Ye chanta ketab daram=I have some books=یه چنتا کتاب دارم

Ye chanta chiz bayad bekharam=I should buy some stuff!=یه چنتا چیز باید بخرم

Ye kam khasteam=I'm a little tired...=یه کم خسته ام/یه کم خستمه

Ye zare/ Ye kam/Ye khoorde/Ye koochooloo/Ye name= a little bit/ a little
    =یه ذره/یه کم/یه خورده/یه کوچولو/یه نمه

Maybe next time=shayad ye vaghte dige / shayad ye dafe dige=شاید یه وقت دیگه/شاید یه دفعه دیگه

Ye dafe/Yeho=Suddenly=یه دفعه/ یهو

I think that would be enough for now!!!

Enoo said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    HahahahahaNo I'm not yet!I'll be unbeatable in French manners when I learn to use 9 different formule de politesse quand je suis dans l'ascenseur

I'll teach you how to use 14 in a queue on a crowded day if you want

Kheyli bahaleeeeeeeee!!! Binahayat mamnoooon dooste man!! What a great list of examples that i can now refer to, very useful and it makes it more clear to me! You did such a fine explanation! Thank you for shedding light on that point! (how would it be said in Farsi?)
    Even after all this time
    The Sun never says to the Earth
    « You owe me »
    Look what happens with a love like that
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Hahahahahaha, If I can use 14 then I can call myself a native
    Khahesh mikonam golam, khoshhalam ke khoshet oumad
    Thank you for shedding light on that point!=Merci baraye roshantar kardane mozoo!=مرسی برای روشن تر کردن موضوع
    or you can also say :
    Merci ke mozoo ro roshantar kardi!=مرسی که موضوع رو روشنتر کردی
    Oo I didn't know how to say this sentence in English...thanks for teaching me...how do u say it in French?

Enoo said:

Hehe yessss well I'm sure you can almost call yourself a native then the main trick is to use them two by two like "pardon-excusez-moi" or "s'il-vous-plaît-merci"
    Oh merci baraye roshantar kardane mozoo!! (this is an immediate exercise )
    Ghabeli nadasht dooste man ^^ In French it would be "Merci d'avoir éclairci ce point" (éclaircir = to lighten, to clarify)

How do you say these in Farsi: don't worry / it's okay / it's not a big deal ?
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Hahahaha, ok I got it...two words in a rowActually we have the same method in Persian...for example we usually use two words for saying thank you to make sure we thanked enough like :
    Merci-kheyli mamnoon
    Mamnoon-merci
    mochaker-merci
    kheyli mamnonn-mochaker
    and etc....

Don't worry=Negaran nabash!=نگران نباش
    It's ok=Eybi nadare/eshkali nadare/moshkeli nist=عیبی نداره/اشکالی نداره/مشکلی نیست
    It's not a big deal=Chize mohemi nist/masaleye mohemi nist=
    چیز مهمی نیست/مسئله ی مهمی نیست

Enoo said:

Kheyli-mamnooooon-Mochaker!!!! I'm appreciating that there are so many ways to say these ^^
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

7. Aditi Liron Pandey said:

Wow!!! Thanks a tonne!!!! love from India! I study dentistry here and I have a professor in biochemistry from Iran too! ^^

pinky_girl said:

You're welcome dearOooooooo well done and good luck!really?That's nice
    By the way,I went to an Indian restaurant yesterday,That was really coolI love indian food,very spicy and hot!They told us that the chef is from Mumbai and the food was so delicious,though my family was jumping up and down and burning in spice, but I was quite comfortable!

9. Aditi Liron Pandey said:

Wow! That's cool! Hahaha yes, it is very spicy but isnt iranian and turkish food spicy too? I never got a chance to try but I hope I will soon! are you on facebook? I will add you there

pinky_girl said:

Hmmm we use different spices in our food but I guess in comparison to your food and spice, it's like nothing!!!Yeah make sure to try it
    No I don't have facebook account dear, sorry

11. waitmylove said:

Default Poem of Love please Farsi

What I loved most about you was your voice
    Fogged most of the time, like a fresh bread
    That calls to love first, then gives a rest
    A friend to me all the time, loved all the time

What I loved most about you was your hands
    Cool as a spring water, small and white
    I saw many bautiful things on this world
    The best is to wake up one morning with your hands

What I loved most about you was your eyes
    Sometimes a childish blue, sometimes contrarily green
    Brightness, health, happiness
    None of these is as meaningful as your eyes

What I loved most about you was your smile
    Making me happy, growing flowers of hope inside me
    It eases all my pains, difficulties
    My world finds its meaning when you smile

What I loved most about you was your behavior
    Your mercy for the weak, your resistance to unjust
    Your being a proud wild tigress
    Against injustice and despotism

What I loved most about you was your heart full of love
    Your motherhood covering all the children
    In this world where loves are sold for one penny
    You are the one who holds love above everything

What I loved most about you was your reflection on me
    Your existence in me, your being one with me
    I loved your your bravery, honesty, pureness
    I loved you, I loved you, I loved...

12. Aditi Liron Pandey said:

Oh, okay no problem what do you do and esm e shome chiye? you know, something very beautiful happened yesterday.. My Iranian teacher is 32 and I am 21.. We have been talking regularly for the past 2weeks and our iranian ancestory and farsi were definately the reasons to bond us.. Yesterday, he just told me that he misses his family (he hasnt gone to iran for 4years) and when he sees me and now that I am close to him, he considers me as his little sister I was soooo happy!! I now call him daadaash and he calls me aabji!

pinky_girl said:

Oh my god!why did our post come here again??ATL remove every post to this thread!I guess ATL also knows how important threat it isDear Aditi let's talk on my wall from now on...you can send me visitor messages or private messages and I reply themcause this threat is just for learning Persian

14. ps said:

Salam,

che khabaretoone? Baraye inja vaght nadashte boodam. Hala ba logate farsi dars mikhoonam.
    Dige bayad farsi ro balad basham, 3 sal ke kafie.
    Emrooz mikhastam begam "It's 3 o'clock.". Amma nashod. Vaghean ke, could someone help, lotfan? How I can say:
    -It's .. o'clock.
    -" half past ..
    -"quarter past/for ..

Rasti, yad migiram o yad migiram vali vaghti ye serial tamasha mikonam hichi nemifahmam kheyli fast harf mizanand akhe. Masalan Seriale Zamaneh..

Vali khob, age kasi mitoone komakam kone kheyli khoshhal misham.

Khodahafez

pinky_girl said:

Salam ps jan..kheyli vaght bood inja nayoomade boodi, delemoon barat tang shode boodOh 3 sale ke Farsi mikhooni? Afarin,vase hamine ke inghad khoob Farsi sohbat mikonifaghat ye chanta eshtebahe khey koochooloo dari ke alan barat tozih midam(**did u understand what I told you?If not, just let me know and I'll translate it for you
    I think when you said "che khabaretoone"? you wanted to say what's up?..right? so for saying "what's up" we say =che khabar?che khabara? che khabare jadidi...and when you say "che khabaretoone" it's like you're objecting to something....for example look at these examples:

Imagine there are some kids playing with a loud noise, you go and shout on them "che khabaretoone?"..(means why are you making so much noise, stop it...)
    or for example 2 guy are fighting and you are mad at them and say" che khabaretoone? (what's going on, stop it...)
    so this phrase is used to show your objection to something or somebody....
    and another important point is that when there is only one person you gotta say "che khabarete?" and when there are more persons "che khabaretoone?"

now let's answer your good question:

It's 5 o'clock= sa'at panj ast/hast(formal)/ sa'at panje(very informal and we always say it like this)=ساعت پنج است(هست)/ ساعت پنجه

It's half past 5 =sa'at panjo nim ast(hast)/sa 'at panjo nime=ساعت پنج و نیم است(هست) /ساعت پنج و نیمه

It's a quarter to 5=sa'at yek rob be panj ast(formal)/sa'at ye rob be panje=ساعت یک ربع به پنج است/ساعت یه رب به پنجه

It's 20 minutes to 5=sa'at bist daghighe be panj ast/hast(formal)/sa'at bis deyghe be panje(informal)=ساعت بیست دقیقه به پنج است/ساعت بیس دیقه به پنجه

It's a quarter past 5=sa'at panjo rob ast/hast(formal)/sa'at panjo robbe=ساعت پنج و ربع است(هست)/ ساعت پنج و ربه

It's 20 minutes past 5=sa'at panjo bist daghighe ast/hast(formal)/sa'at panjo bis deyghas!=ساعت پنج و بیست دقیقه است(هست)/ساعت پنجو بیس دیقس

are azizam tooye filma kheyli sari(=سریع/fast) harf mizananManam ba inke kheyli vaghte Engilisi mihkoonam vali mogheye didane filmhaye engilisi moshkel daram va hameye harfashoono nemifahmam:dash_fun

Man hamishe amadeam ke komaket konam, har soali dari bepors

16. ps said:

Are khoda ro shokr hamasho fahmidam.
    Akheeyy... Yeah I wanted to say what's up, thank you for the notice.

And wow.. It's very new for me. Thank you a lot, dastet dard nakone.

Vay ghorboonet beram azizam kheyli mehrabounid, hezar bar tashakor mikonam.

Rooze khoobi dashte bashid.

pinky_girl said:

Afarin..fekr mikardam momkene hameye harfamo nafahmi vali hala ke fahmidi yani vaghean farsit kheyli ghaviye
    khahesh mikonam..khoshhalam ke barat mofid bood
    merci, to ham hamintor

18. ps said:

Sometimes I have to read some sentences once more.
    Also in the songs the singers are speaking clear (of course i don't mean Yas ), it's easier to understand the lyrics, too.

Khoda ro shokr ke zabane man kheyli shabihe farsi hast.

Khodahafez

pinky_girl said:

are khandehayi mesle "Yas" ya ounayi ke rap mikhoonan, fahmidane ahangashoon sakhte va khodamam hata bazi vaghta bayad lyrics ro bekhoonam ke befahmam chi migan
    Zaboone madarit(=Mother Tongue) chiye?

20. ps said:

Yeah, I see..
    Man torki sohbat mikonam. There are a lot of Persian words which are the same in Turkish. So I understand some vocabularies automatically.

Rooze khoobi dashte bashid,
    btw, faghat 3 rooz moonde ta Nowrooz.
    Mahi Talaei-haye ma mariz shodand.

Khodahafez