Fanfare Ciocarlia - Balada Lui Ioan

Thread: Fanfare Ciocarlia - Balada Lui Ioan

Tags: fanfare ciocarlia

helgah said:

Default Fanfare Ciocarlia - Balada Lui Ioan

Hi all,

Could you please help me to find lyrics and translation (from romanian to english) of one of the most beautiful and powerful songs of Fanfare Ciocarlia - "Balada Lui Ioan" ?

Also, I'm extremely interested to know any additional information about this song : who wrote the lyrics, who is the author, etc.

You can listen to "Balada Lui Ioan" online here : http://kelderi.mylivepage.ru/file/2583/4685

Many thanks in advance,

with my kindest regards
    Last edited by helgah; 10-10-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: misprint in the title of the song

2. Crisa said:

Hi !

First it's Balada lui Ioan (Ioan is Romanian for John).

Some infos about them here : http://www.asphalt-tango.de/fanfare/artist.html

I'll try to translate it but it's gonna be hard cuz there are a lot of words only used in Romanian songs and translated into English they have no meaning.

Here you have the Romanian lyrics. I'll try to listen to the song again, add the diacritics and do the translation later.

I did my best, I hope you understand it.

Aiiii păi foaie verde solzi de peşte
    Foaie verde solzi de peşte
    Primăvara când soşeste
    Zăpada se petliceşte (not sure about this one )
    Ieşi mândro mă primeneşte
    Şi dă haina codrului
    Cum îi pana corbului
    Şi-o basma portocalie
    Ca s-o am în haiducie , mândro

Aiii fish scale green leaf
    Green leaf fish scale
    When the spring is coming
    The snow is melting
    Get outside my darling and dress me up
    Give the cloth to the forest
    Like the raven feather is
    And an orange head kerchief
    To have it in my haiduk/ outlaw life, darling

Aiii Foaie verde pipiric
    Foaie verde pipiric
    Când eram copil mai mic , măi*
    Aveam semne de voinic
    Zmulgeam fagul din tulpină
    Stejarul din radacină
    La mândruţa mea, măi
    Săruta-ţi-ar guriţa
    Şi tu mie mustaţa, măi mândro

Aiii soft rush green leaf
    Soft rush green leaf
    When I was a little kid
    I had brave man signs
    I was pulling out the beech from its trunk
    An the oak tree from its roots
    ...To my darling , her kissing your mouth
    And you to kiss my mustache, my darling

măi*: this is used to give musicality to the song .
    Last edited by Crisa; 10-09-2010 at 08:04 AM.

helgah said:

Thank you so much, Crisa, you are the best ! I am so happy now to get and understand the meaning of this powerful ballad ! ("Ballad of John" - I am sorry for miswriting the title - I just downloaded their 'Iag Bari' (2001) album, and as in arial script (which is used in Windows) "l" and "I" characters look just the same, I just miswrote the title as "loan"

It seems that it's an ancient traditional romanian folk song, isnt' it ? (I mean, it wasn't composed by members of Fanfare Ciocarlia. I was searching about it, but unfortunately I didnt find any additional info about this great romanian folk ballad).

4. Crisa said:

Quote Originally Posted by helgah View Post
    Thank you so much, Crisa, you are the best ! I am so happy now to get and understand the meaning of this powerful ballad ! ("Ballad of John" - I am sorry for miswriting the title - I just downloaded their 'Iag Bari' (2001) album, and as in arial script (which is used in Windows) "l" and "I" characters look just the same, I just miswrote the title as "loan"

It seems that it's an ancient traditional romanian folk song, isnt' it ? (I mean, it wasn't composed by members of Fanfare Ciocarlia. I was searching about it, but unfortunately I didnt find any additional info about this great romanian folk ballad).

You're welcomed. I did my best , when translating this type of songs the meaning is not the same...Good to know that you've understood the ballad .

Well most of their songs are gypsy folk songs (they're gypsies) they also have Balkan influences. They also sing Romanian folk songs.

I know that they've Performed with Goran Bregovici & Emil Custuica . Their music is very appreciated all over the world. That's all what I know about them.