And Can It Be, That I Should Gain lyrics
1 AND can it be, that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood`?
Died he for me, who caused his pain?
For me, who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
2 'Tis mystery all! The Immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design?
In vain the first-born seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine!
'Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel-minds inquire no more.
3 He left his Father's throne above,
(So free, so infinite his grace!)
Emptied himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race:
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For, O my God, it found out me!
4 Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.
5 No condemnation now I dread,
Jesus, and all in him, is mine!
Alive in him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Top John Wesley Harding songs
- Captain Of Israel's Host, And Guide
- Great God Of Wonders! All Thy Ways
- All Things Are Possible To Him
- Go Labour On; Spend, And Be Spent
- Behold The Servant Of The Lord
- Come, Ye Sinners, Poor And Wretched
- And Can It Be, That I Should Gain
- Gracious Spirit, Dwell With Me!
- A Charge To Keep I Have
- Art Thou Weary, Art Thou Languid
- Praise The Lord! Ye Heavens, Adore Him
- Father Of Everlasting, Grace
- Blow Ye The Trumpet, Blow
- Forth In Thy Name, O Lord, I Go
- Father, I Know That All My Life