Leb arabic translation needed - "We cannot escape our fate"

Thread: Leb arabic translation needed - "We cannot escape our fate"

Tags: None
  1. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Leb arabic translation needed - "We cannot escape our fate"

Hi! I need an English written translation of a quote from Oedipus Rex The King:
    "We cannot escape our fate"
    Also:
    "You cannot escape your fate"
    This would need to be without the 7s, 3s etc but all in English characters.
    Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
    Shukran!

Oriee said:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda9080 View Post
    Hi! I need an English written translation of a quote from Oedipus Rex The King:
    Also:
    This would need to be without the 7s, 3s etc but all in English characters.
    Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
    Shukran!
    Ma bni'dir nihrob min adarna
    Or
    Ma feena nihrob min adarna

(Enta) mafeek tehrob min adarak
    Or
    (Enta) Ma bti'dir tehrob min adarak
    "You may say them either with Enta or without it"

Oh, by the way what genders you want because it differes. I assumed that you're a female talking to male, if you want any change please let me know.

At the end, I'd like to say that your request would have been translated before if you'd posted it to Misc. translation thread.
    Last edited by Oriee; 08-12-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    لا يَشْكُرُ الله مَنْ لا يَشْكُرُ النَّاس
    The One Who Doesn't Thank Others, Doesn't Thank God

3. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Thank you! this would be male to female

Quote Originally Posted by Oriee View Post
    Ma bni'dir nihrob min qadarna
    Or
    Ma feena nihrob min qadarna

(Enta) mafeek tehrob min qadarak
    Or
    (Enta) Ma bti'dir tehrob min qadarak
    "You may say them either with Enta or without it"

Oh, by the way what genders you want because it differes. I assumed that you're a female talking to male, if you want any change please let me know.

At the end, I'd like to say that your request would have been translated before if you'd posted it to Misc. translation thread.
    Hi--thank you so much for answering my post! I was desperate to get this quote for a piece I am working on. This would be a male saying this to female, although he is talking in general about everyone.
    Also--if he said "You cannot escape your fate"
    how would that different?
    Male to Female?
    Is the male to female enti?
    Thanks so much again (shukran!) for your help!

Oriee said:

Welcome...

Male to female:
    "We cannot escape our fate" will remain the same also it's used for general..
    Ma bni'dir nihrob min adarna.
    Ma feena nihrob nin adarna.

Ma bti'diri tehrbi min adarik.
    Ma feeki tehrbi min adarik.

To talk to female, yes as you said you'll use enti

Al-afw
    If you still need anything else don't forget to post it

5. Rhonda9080 said:

Welcome...

Male to female:

Al-afw
    Thank you again so much!
    Which do you recommend by use of a Lebanese college professor--he teaches Literature

***Also--if he were registering surprise, frustration, would he say, "Ya rabbee"

Blessings and thank you again!
    "Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans..." John Lennon

Oriee said:

I recommend Ma feena nihrob min adarna.

Yes, He might say that (ya Rabbi) which means Oh my God

7. Rhonda9080 said:

I recommend Ma feena nihrob min adarna.

Yes, He might say that (ya Rabbi) which means Oh my God
    Hi! Thank you so much! That helps!

8. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Got another one... Chosen Ones

Welcome...

Male to female:

Al-afw
    Got it--feena it is... I thank you guys on here so much for helping to keep from stupid mistakes.
    I need another one:
    Chosen Ones (a male group)
    Also, Beautiful eyes (male describing female.
    Also--what does Aman, aman mean? I hear this in some songs? It could be awan, awan--heck I am pretty dumb with my Arabic http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/im...ons/icon11.gif

Thank you so much! Shukran!

LOUIE said:

aman aman aman is like oooof ooof ooof its a turkish term I believe that we use which means OH
    Chosen Ones = el mekhtareen
    Beautiful eyes = 3eyonek 7elween
    ?? ???? ?? ????? ????? ?????? ? ??? ??????? ???? ?????

Oriee said:

In fact I'd recommend you explain more about your last request of translation so that it'd be best translated.

11. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Thank you Shukran Louie and Oriee

Hi--thank you so much for answering my post! I am sorry I wasn't able to check with you right away. I am still having computer issues.
    The translation is for a book I'm working on where the character describes being Arabic as being one of the "sons of Abraham". Sons of Ismael, Esau, etc. So this would not be referring to Jews, except in relation to being "Sons of Abraham"
    He is talking about the trouble of being Palestinian. (So nice to be chosen...)
    He feels like it ranks them at the bottom of the cosmic s-list. He's very bitter about God right now, but working on it in his head, etc.

The eyes comment is in relationship to a woman he has a thing for having very beautiful eyes.
    I hope this helps!
    Shukran,
    Thank you again for your help!

12. Rhonda9080 said:

Default I have another - thanks anyone for help

What does El Thar mean, and what is the term in Leb-Palestinian dialect for Vengeance? The guy in the book had his village wiped out in the first Leb civil war. Now he feels a lot of hatred and a need for vengeance. I was told by someone it would be "El Thar" but isn't that north african Arabic?
    Thanks so much again!

Oriee said:

Ok, so for
    the chosen ones: will be the same as louie said, el mikhtareen
    and for beautiful eyes: el oyion el hilwe.
    for Aman if it's alone it means safe, but if said twice like aman aman then I recomend you check it Here for more information.

for the word vengeace it as you were told tha'r or intiqam
    tha'r is revenge

14. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Thanks so much! That helps a lot! Anyone with knowlege on South Leb lifestyle in 1974

Ok, so for
    the chosen ones: will be the same as louie said, el mikhtareen
    and for beautiful eyes: el oyion el hilwe.
    for Aman if it's alone it means safe, but if said twice like aman aman then I recomend you check it Here for more information.

for the word vengeace it as you were told tha'r or intiqam
    tha'r is revenge
    You guys on here are the greatest! I was so rusty with my already miniscule Arabic from the 1980s. You are helping me to avoid a lot of stupid mistakes.

Question--does anyone on here know anyone who may have lived in South Lebanon near the border area in the early 1970s--around 1974? I am looking for the basic cultural lifestyle for Christian village (muslim is needed too) at that time period. I was told, some tiny villages had no running water yet--just a communal spigot, and some still had mud-brick type dwellings. Is this true?
    Also, how educated would the villagers in that time period be about the political situation going on in their country and the greater middle east, such as what was happening to the Palestinians at that time in Jordan?
    I am pretty up on the Arab-Israeli conflict (covered it as a journalist) but this is a story about the arabic perspective--and Israelis are mentioned really only in passing as it relates to the individuals and their personal stories.
    I am also looking at some point for a reader who has a good knowledge of the Lebanese civil wars, but this book does contain a lot of language, violence, sex etc. Not for one who would be offended also by one of the characters, who has a lot of "God" conflict going on inside him. He gets it straightened out in the end, but can be pretty harsh.
    Once again, thanks so much for your help!
    God bless!

15. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Great post on Leb-Pali dialect

Quote Originally Posted by LOUIE View Post
    aman aman aman is like oooof ooof ooof its a turkish term I believe that we use which means OH
    Chosen Ones = el mekhtareen
    Beautiful eyes = 3eyonek 7elween
    Hey Louie--thanks so much again for your answer of my dumb questions.
    I really wanted to commend you for your excellent post on the differences between the Lebanese, Pali and Syrian dialects. I cut and pasted it into my notes. Very helpful!
    Got a question: I need to describe the sound of arabic language (Leb - Pali) from perspective of an American hearing it for the first time. I keep trying to remember my initial reaction. I picked up on the soft "a" and a'a and just really all the repeating "a" sounds I heard. It made it sound very rythmic to me, very poetic. Would you consider this on the mark? I also noticed how they didn't seem to have any "P" sounds (like "falistine")
    I love to read your posts! They are very informative!
    Thanks again!

16. Rhonda9080 said:

Default One more dumb question

Ok--found this on a yahoo answers:

ya habibti, enti khateera… Motheer
    Ok, I know Habibti, is this dangerous (khateera)

Also - What is the difference between El and Al?

If a guy (Leb) felt like his attraction to a certain female would be very dangerous (as in could get them killed) what then?

sohuda said:

lol, khateera means dangerous literally but it is given as a compliment, it means you rock or you're awesome, I think that that's what the guy meant, it's very likely..

and 'El' and 'Al' are one thing, which is 'the' no difference between them, it's just two ways of saying them, some people pronounce it as 'el' and others as 'al'
    hope you get it
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

18. Rhonda9080 said:

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by sohuda View Post
    lol, khateera means dangerous literally but it is given as a compliment, it means you rock or you're awesome, I think that that's what the guy meant, it's very likely..

and 'El' and 'Al' are one thing, which is 'the' no difference between them, it's just two ways of saying them, some people pronounce it as 'el' and others as 'al'
    hope you get it
    Hi! Ahlan, thanks so much for answering my post. So, if he's wanting to say "You're so sexy-hot" this is what he'd say then
    What I have right now, (context, the guy is dancing with this girl, and he is wanting to seduce her--he is very much at this point a womanizer-type, but is falling for her) he says, "...ya habibti, enti khateera… Motheer" When she asks what this means (she'd American) he says “Loosely—it means, my darling, you’re so sexy-hot.”
    Would this be about right, or drop Motheer--I was told it wasn't really used much.
    Also--
    Now, in a different context, if he is telling himself, this girl is dangerous to me (dangerous beauty, etc.) How would he express this in a short thought?
    Thanks for explaining El and Al. I know this stuff sometimes but I forget

sohuda said:

Hmmm... ok I didn't really get what you want,, but lemme try and tell you what I think you want to know.. as to 'khateera' it's used a lot not just to express someone's hotness, it can also be like 'awesome' 'amazing', it's exactly like saying 'sick' to a person, like 'you're sick' when you mean that they're incredible.. so I don't really think that this guy meant it as 'dangerous' itself.. and 'motheer' means exciting, if you want to say that a female is exciting or sexy, you say 'motheera'
    and if he really means khateera as in literally dangerous then he'd also say 'khateera' so can't really be sure.. what a dilemma, I know!!

Feel free to express your confusion,
    The hours of pain have yielded good,
    Which prosperous days refused;
    As herbs, though scentless when entire,
    Spread fragrance when they’re bruised.

Daydream said:

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda9080 View Post
    Hi! Ahlan, thanks so much for answering my post. So, if he's wanting to say "You're so sexy-hot" this is what he'd say then
    What I have right now, (context, the guy is dancing with this girl, and he is wanting to seduce her--he is very much at this point a womanizer-type, but is falling for her) he says, "...ya habibti, enti khateera… Motheer" When she asks what this means (she'd American) he says “Loosely—it means, my darling, you’re so sexy-hot.”
    Would this be about right, or drop Motheer--I was told it wasn't really used much.
    Also--
    Now, in a different context, if he is telling himself, this girl is dangerous to me (dangerous beauty, etc.) How would he express this in a short thought?
    Thanks for explaining El and Al. I know this stuff sometimes but I forget
    You're so sexy, hot - enti motheera, betaa'di
    This girl is dangerous to me - haydel benet khateera bel nesbe la eli
    dangerous beauty - jamala khateer

"...ya habibti, enti khateera… Motheer" - this would mean.. "My darling/Baby, you are dangerous... Sexy"
    Ya reitni 2amle b sha3rak, kel lama ashta2lak atsa7sel w ashoufak ♥