Learning French language

Thread: Learning French language

Tags: None

pinky_girl said:

et voilà, une autre traduction de moi!!J'espère que vous ne soyes pas fatigués de moi et vous avez envie de m'aider
    [Jeor0ARzFjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeor0ARzFjI[/video]
    Je sais

Quand tu n'es pas ici, je reste seul

J'abandonne le monde entier

Je pleure au lieu de nous deux

Je respire au lieu de nous deux

Il ne s'appelle pas la vie( =this is not called "life)

Je suis fou sans toi

Je suis assis en attandent de toi mais je sais

Je sais qu'il n'y a plus de place pour moi dans ton coeur

Je sais que rien est comme avant

Pourvu qu'il pleure dans les rues sans toi(=as long as it rains in the streets without you)

Je sais que la solitude ne me laisse pas seul

Finalement un jour, ton coeur va oublier même mon nom

Tu ouvres les fenêtres, Le vent emporte mes souvenirs

Enoo said:

Quote Originally Posted by pinky_girl View Post
    So Whenever we have 2 different subject and between them there is "que" we use subjunctive??
    Not necessary, no
    I'm considering only cases in which the subjects are different (if not, we use "de + infinitive clause")

- There are some verbs that are always followed by a subjunctive: (this list is not exhaustive... )
    avoir peur --- to fear
    douter --- to doubt
    aimer --- to like
    vouloir/avoir envie --- to want
    préférer --- to prefer
    souhaiter --- to wish
    attendre --- to wait/to expect
    falloir --- to need/must
    refuse --- to refuse

- some prepositions are always followed by a subjunctive whenever they are followed by a clause (that's why there is "que", it's like "that")
    bien que = although
    jusqu'à ce que = until
    pour que = in order to, to
    avant que = before

- some verbs are followed by a subjunctive only if the main sentence has a negation: penser (to think), croire (to believe), comprendre (to understand)... It can be explain because subjunctive is usually found in a clause that is associated with a condition, a wish, something that is uncertain or that hasn't happened yet/won't happen/hadn't happened in the past. Some examples:

Je pense qu'il est déjà midi (est ---> indicative) --- I think that it's already noon = I'm 80% sure that it's noon or past noon

Je ne pense pas qu'il soit déjà midi (soit ---> subjunctive) --- I don't think that it's already noon = I'm 20% sure that it's noon or past noon

Je pense qu'il n'est pas encore midi (est ---> indicative) --- I think that it's not noon yet = I'm 80% sure that it's not noon >>> What matters is what's inside the clause (= after "que"). If it's almost certain, it will be indicative. If it's probably not happening, it will be a subjunctive. One last example?

Je ne pense pas qu'il ne soit pas midi (soit ---> subj.) --- I don't think that it's not noon. The clause says : it's not noon. And I'm like 20% sure that it's not true (je ne pense pas que...) ---> it's uncertain ---> subjunctive.

I know that it's really not easy to deal with and I hope I'm not making things more complicated than they really are... sooooo: N'hésite pas à me demander quand tu n'es pas sûre
    Last edited by Enoo; 02-22-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    Even after all this time
    The Sun never says to the Earth
    « You owe me »
    Look what happens with a love like that
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

Enoo said:

et voilà, une autre traduction de moi!!J'espère que vous n'êtes pas fatigués de moi et vous avez envie de m'aider
    Jamais & Toujours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeor0ARzFjI

Je sais

Quand tu n'es pas ici, je reste seul

J'abandonne le monde entier

Je pleure au lieu de nous deux

Je respire au lieu de nous deux

Il ne s'appelle pas la vie( =this is not called "life)

Je suis fou sans toi

Je suis assis en attandent de toi mais je sais

Je sais qu'il n'y a plus de place pour moi dans ton coeur

Je sais que rien est comme avant

Pourvu qu'il pleure dans les rues sans toi(=as long as it rains in the streets without you)

Je sais que la solitude ne me laisse pas seul

Finalement un jour, ton coeur va oublier même mon nom

Tu ouvres les fenêtres, Le vent emporte mes souvenirs

Wooooooooooow Que c'est beau !!! La chanson et la traduction sont toutes les deux très émouvante!! This is an amaziiiiing job dear!! You're reaching perfection!!

Here are the rare changes I would see:

- "Je pleure au lieu de nous deux // Je respire au lieu de nous deux"
    You mean he is shedding tears for both of them and breathing air for both of them? Then "pour" would be better: "Je pleure pour nous deux // Je respire pour nous deux"

- Il ne s'appelle pas la vie( =this is not called "life)
    Ça/Ceci/cela ne s'appelle pas vivre
    If you want something even more poetic (I know you like poetic sentences ) you can use this : "Ce n'est pas vivre que de vivre ainsi" or "Ce n'est pas vivre que de vivre cette vie" (= "Living like this/Living this life, that's not being alive" except that it is said reversely and that creates some poetical effect )

- "Je suis assis en attandent de toi mais je sais" ---> en t'attendant

- "Je sais que rien est comme avant"

- "Pourvu qu'il pleure dans les rues sans toi"(=as long as it rains in the streets without you)
    ---> hmm this is subtle... ^^
    "pourvu que" is rather used when it makes last something positive, something good, ex: je n'aurai jamais peur pourvu que tu sois là = I'll never be scared as long as you're here. Here could be used "aussi longtemps que"/"tant que" (as long as)
    "pleurer" means "to cry". But it was a perfect use of subjunctive!! Seems you rule it! ^^

----> Je sais que rien ne sera plus comme avant // Aussi longtemps qu'il pleut/pleuvera dans les rues sans toi
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Wow so much good things and informationsI don't know for which of them I should thank you...It was like a complete package for me and was really helpful...I should try to use "subjunctive" in my sentences more and more to learn it deeplybinahayat mamnoon(merci infiniment) ma copineyour correction of the song was just amaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing as usual, there is no words to describe my appreciation

Enoo said:

Awwwwwwww lotf dari!!! Khohesh mikonam dear, I'm glad to be helpful & this song is really beautiful and I enjoy very much reading your translations in French! Bahal that you like my corrections ^^

If there's too much information don't worry it will fix over time, even reading for example the verbs always followed by subjunctive will lighten a warning the newt time you need to use one of them
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Aussi longtemps que tu sera là je ne m'inquiète pas!!!!!!!!
    Et une petite question>>j'ai lu dans un livre que les filles appellent leurs amies" Ma vieille"....c'est comme "my dear,darling??"??????

7. hannibal77 said:

To say "ma vieille" to a female friend is a bit old-fashioned… Girls, I would say between 13 and 25 sometimes, say "grosse" to their female friends ("gros" for boys), but it has to be as a joke, you can not say if you want to be respectful.

Example :

- Salut grosse, la forme ?
    - Ouais grosse !

Male version :

- Hé gros ça va ?
    - Ouais gros, à l'aise.

Enoo said:

Yep Hannibal, "grosse" is a bit less used than "gros", and the use of "gros" depends on the region, in the south i haven't heard it too much between young people, when in the north everyone is called "gros". "man" works too, between guys mainly.

"ma vieille" is like saying "hey my good old buddy", but the old is for joking. Depending on the situation you can hear girls saying "ma puce/ma louloute/miss/ma poule/poulette/hey les meufs !/hey les girls...."

"puce" means "flea" but it's kind to say, for example if you got a friend who feels a bit down and you want to comfort her you will say:
    " - hey ma puce, qu'est-ce qui va pas?"
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Merci beaucoup,, both of you taught me very good words......these words can' be found in books and dictionaries!! you must ask them directly from native people

10. hannibal77 said:

Yes, it's very long to change dictionnaries and grammar books and to add popular idioms et slang, which in french are very very much used ! There is a gap between them. This is normal that they don't actualise it to quickly, because it would be a non-sense to add words that will disappear maybe in one decade, but at the other hand, it's hard for a non native person to understand a common conversation between two persons in France. Most of all if you go to Paris : they speak so quickly, even me sometimes I can hardly understand them mouahaha ! I'm not exaggerating so much…

Enoo said:

Merci beaucoup,, both of you taught me very good words......these words can' be found in books and dictionaries!! you must ask them directly from native people
    You're welcome dear Yes usually this words are rather referenced in urban dictionaries, and on-line so the changes and the new vocabulary can be added (almost) as quick as in the reality So yeah, asking the natives is the best solution
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

hannibal , are you serious?so I feel kind of disappointed to be able to understand French, one day!!!No, I'm not gonna give in...I can do it...I can do itI used to be worried about "subjoctif" only. now it seems I gotta be worried about SO many things

Enoo said:

Well they don't speak much faster than Gad Elmaleh in his shows I think And conversational talk is often the most difficult thing to understand in foreign languages because yeah, it's informal, there is some slang/colloquial words in it and we don't say "ne...pas" but only "pas" and we don't say "nous" but "on" but when you listen to French, even in songs, where it's pronounced more slowly, more clearly, it makes you getting used to the music of the language and to the words signature. So you will recognize the most important words in the sentence, those that are not too much informal etc and with a context you can understand rather well a sentence even if you don't get all the words.

It's sure that it's easier to learn these kind of informal expressions if your hear them in your daily life, that's how babies learn to talk but it's not the only way don't worry ^^

And there are not only Parisians in France Even in Paris
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

14. hannibal77 said:

If your only problem was subjonctif, I can reassure you, even for francophones it's not totally known and well used… But don't worry about that, If you don't know precisely subjonctif but only understand, that's already a huge progress !
    And I'm sure Parisians can make efforts… if not, come in Switzerland, we speak so slowly in there :-P

pinky_girl said:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww merci à vous deux:::::::::Thanks for comforting me, I feel much better now
    Oh you speak slower in Switzerland??C'est magnifique!!I definitely come there first. and then when I feel that I'm ready to speak French, je vais à Paris

Enoo said:

@Hannibal : Oh un Suisse ! Ça explique pourquoi tu trouves que les parisiens parlent si vite

@Pinky : De rien mon amie Il n'y a pas de soucis à se faire ^^ Hahaha and after that you'll be ready for a new challenge... to understand French Canadian
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Oh noooooooooo, are you gonna kill me?I have no plan for understanding French CanadianFrench Parisien,ça me suffit

Enoo said:

Hahaha

Je suis sûre que tu te débrouillerais déjà très bien à Paris (I'm sure that now you would already handle it very well in Paris)
    Even after all this time
    « You owe me »
    It lights the whole sky

-حافظ

pinky_girl said:

Awwwwwwwwww je suis fière de moi, then
    Mes amis, vous pouvez me dire quelques phrases avec "n'importe quoi"???

20. hamsa said:

ou vivez vous en iran ?