Was this grammatically correct? Hacienda del Oro

Thread: Was this grammatically correct? Hacienda del Oro

Tags: None

ebpullman said:

Default Was this grammatically correct? Hacienda del Oro

or it should have been Hacienda de Oro or Hacienda dela Oro... What I mean is Golden Plantation. (because I knew many surname like de la Cruz, del Rosario and de Silva)

I'm writing something that relate to the Spanish Heritage in my country and I need a correct translation.

Please please please

thank you
    Rania

2. momper said:

Hacienda Dorada.

3. Azur said:

Well, if you want to keep it impressive, use "Hacienda de Oro" (at least in my country, is custom to try to make names of plantations or big plots of land impressive). It literally means «Plantation of [/made from] Gold».

"Oro" is masculine, so it can't be "de la". Also when you put an article after de it implies possession, not a quality. "[la] Hacienda del General", "[the] General's Plantation". The article IS dropped when it refers to a place. "Hacienda de Río Grande" (it also implies that is the only plantation there or the only one called as such).

When "de" it's alone it indicates name, as in "Hacienda de Roseta". The preposition "de" may be dropped, but keeping it is correct usage.

This rules are not to be followed strictly, although they provide sort of a general rule of thumb for the non-native speaker.

You don't have to use "Dorada" for «golden». And, if you're interested, the original meaning of "dorada" is «gilded» (it comes from the verb "dorar", «to gild»).

I hope this have been useful to you, and if you have any further doubts (or want a less mind-boggling explanation) please PM me.

4. momper said:

dorado, da.
    (Del part. de dorar).
    1. adj. De color de oro o semejante a él.

dorado -da (adjetivo)
    1. ‹botón/galones› gold;
    ‹pintura› gold, gold-colored
    ‹cabello› (liter) golden
    2. ‹época› golden

Other suggestion:
    «Hacienda La Dorada»
    Last edited by momper; 11-28-2010 at 05:02 AM.

ebpullman said:

Default I was researching .....

about the Spanish Heritage in my country (Philippines). We did not learn the language but we retain our own of Malay origin yet In the South they knew about Chubacano (an illiterate form of Spanish)

So forgive me if I had become interested but I'm such ignorant

And I'm making a Historical Novel...if you don't mind
    Rania