Tags: None
  1. transparencia said:

Default Solved: 70's rock song

What is this song?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/dGV9lBxS/70s_song.html

Thanks for listening!
  2. transparencia said:

Any help??

It's a pretty good song, you've to admit.

Dapps said:

Love it. Very hippie-ish, late 60's. But sorry, don't know it.
  4. simnia said:

I'm surprised I don't recognize the song or group. The voice is like the lead singer for Strawberry Alarm Clock, almost like (but not) Eric Clapton. The guitar lead is like Neil Young or Jefferson Airplane. The vocal harmonies are like CSNY. The chords are like by Neil Young or CSNY. It sounds more like late '60s to me, too.

Why don't you write down the lyrics and do a search on those? 4share is annoying: I couldn't play it from there, I couldn't download their plugin, and I had to wait just to download the song.

atmaestro said:

Some of the lyrics I heard are
    "What is the motion?"
    "What will you do, darling?
    "I am growing old and it is getting cold"

I agree the song sounds like Stephen Stills on vocals and Neil Young on guitar.
    My wild guess is the band is Buffalo Springfield.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title
  6. simnia said:

The ascending low guitar riff and congas are a lot like "Oh Well" (Fleetwood Mac, 1969, "Then Play On" album), which is another indication this has a late '60s sound. You might try looking at early Fleetwood Mac songs like on that mentioned album. The lead and multi-part song structure also sounds very much like early Fleetwood Mac to me now. The singer doesn't sound like Stephen Stills to me.

Some more lyrics sound to me like...

What will you do, darlin', now that you're in motion?
    What will you do, darlin', what is the motion?
    Oh, oh.
    Oh, oh.
    Will you be ?happening...
    Nobody likes losing what they're ?told winning.
    Direct their energy toward...
    ...children, and with the seasons.
    Live up ?their ?down, children...
    Oh, oh.
    Oh, oh.
    ...being on top of it all.
    I really wanna know right now.
    (I wanna know.) Said I wanna know, I wanna know...
    (I'm growin' old.) Yes, I'm growin' old...
    (It's getting cold.) Yes, it's getting cold, yes it's getting getting cold.

P.S.--
    Nope, I don't think it's on the "Then Play On" album, since I listened to all the sound samples on the following site. But the band's sound is definitely similar...

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...en+Play+On.htm
    Last edited by simnia; 12-06-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Dapps said:

I hear QMS - Quicksilver Messenger Service .... just adore this band. But I've not heard them sing this track

(Thought I'd put a link to a track of theirs that I love, as you may just like this tooooo..... I don't need much of a reason to 'spread the word' lol, just love this live performance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79ujliNh4Q
  8. transparencia said:

Thanks for the response guys and girls!

I do agree it sounds like Fleetwood Mac on Then Play On, especially Coming your way. I've listened to their first album and it is not there. The quest continues!

<lyrics>
    Oh, oh.
    Oh, oh.
    We could be having it all
    Being on top of it all
    Nobody likes losing what they're ?told winning.
    Direct their energy toward...
    ...children, and with the seasons.
    Live up ?their ?down, children...
    Oh, oh.
    Oh, oh.
    ...being on top of it all.
    I really wanna know right now.
    (I wanna know.) Said I wanna know, I wanna know...
    (I'm growin' old.) Yes, I'm growin' old...
    (It's getting cold.) Yes, it's getting cold, yes it's getting getting cold.
    </lyrics>

A little bit more lyrics added.
  9. simnia said:

I also went through samples of their first album from 1968, " Fleetwood Mac", but that's all blues, not pop/rock. I haven't checked their other early albums yet, but you can do that if I don't have time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography

Yes, please copy and paste the above group of lyrics, anybody, if you can discern some additional lyrics that you can add in. I also did some searches via Google on the main lyrics in the above group, but nothing at all resembling those was found.

Quicksilver Messenger Service is also a great guess. I went through a number of their songs on YouTube yesterday, coming across some I'd forgotten about that brought back some memories, but none like the mystery song. QMS does have a similar sound, and is slightly more obscure than the big name groups I mentioned.

Dapps said:

A friend of mine says to check out Grateful Dead's tracks
  11. Asuyuka said:

The lyrics turn up nothing, unfortunately. Trust me, I'm trying, because this song sounds awesome... very 70's. Now it's going to drive me nuts, but trust me, I'll try to find it.

ETA: I hear some of the lyrics as:

Could you be having it all?
    We could be on top after all.
    Could you be having it all?
    We could be on top after all.
    We could be having it all
    Being on top of it all

And

Nobody likes losing when there's no winning.
    Direct their energy toward nothing but...
    Listen to Earth children, and with the seasons.
    Live up ?their ?down, children, what will they reason
    Oh, oh.
    Oh, oh.

Would we be having it all
    Living ontop of it all

~~~~

ETA 2:

I had my sister listen to it. Still no specific song, but she strongly identified it as Crosby, Stills and Nash as a good possibility. ^^
    Last edited by Asuyuka; 12-10-2010 at 02:21 AM.
  12. simnia said:

Quote Originally Posted by Asuyuka View Post
    I had my sister listen to it. Still no specific song, but she strongly identified it as Crosby, Stills and Nash as a good possibility. ^^
    I don't think it's anyone (David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, or Neil Young) who was in CSN/CSNY: the lead vocalists doesn't sound to me like any of the CSNY voices, and I've listened to a lot of CSNY for many years. The style of vocal harmony and m7 chords and lead guitar styles do sound like them, though. I remember people saying that Yes and America sounded like CSNY, but those were early '70s groups, but my point is that there are probably groups that had a reputation of sounding like other groups (e.g., Badfinger was said to sound like The Beatles), in this case CSNY, so those reputations might be a hint. I just don't know enough, and I don't know where to find such information, though.

P.S.--Great job on adding more lyrics!

P.P.S.--The one line of lyrics could be:
    Live up, they're down, children...
  13. Asuyuka said:

Quote Originally Posted by simnia View Post
    I don't think it's anyone (David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, or Neil Young) who was in CSN/CSNY: the lead vocalists doesn't sound to me like any of the CSNY voices, and I've listened to a lot of CSNY for many years. The style of vocal harmony and m7 chords and lead guitar styles do sound like them, though. I remember people saying that Yes and America sounded like CSNY, but those were early '70s groups, but my point is that there are probably groups that had a reputation of sounding like other groups (e.g., Badfinger was said to sound like The Beatles), in this case CSNY, so those reputations might be a hint. I just don't know enough, and I don't know where to find such information, though.

P.S.--Great job on adding more lyrics!

P.P.S.--The one line of lyrics could be:
    Live up, they're down, children...
    That sounds perfect.

Another band I can think of is Traffic, 60's-70's prog rock. Very similar instrumentation and style, but if its a song of theirs, I can't lay a finger on which.

Checking that against Wikipedia and Allmusic's track times right now and trying to find a song that'd be a good match. =/

ETA: The band I'm talking about is Traffic. Check out 40,000 Headmen.

I'd also like to say it sounds like it came off vinyl or a really good AM radio. Will have to scrub it later, maybe then I can get some of the lyrics better...

ETA 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgc0q...eature=related 40,000 Headmen ^^;
  14. frame13245 said:

I really stuck on this song and found it
    I like old psychprog It's West Coast US band called Banchee from their 1971 second album Thinkiin' song "38"
  15. jp12345 said:

Dapps said:

Thanks so much 'frame13245' .. I love this track and now I've got more of theirs to check out thanks to you.

Thank you
  17. Asuyuka said:

Thank you so, very, very, VERY much. I love this song ^^
  18. transparencia said:

Holy sh*t!

frame13245, thank you so much!

Also I would like to thank all the single posters that dedicated their time to the cause...

Really, I thank you from my heart, friends.
  19. transparencia said:

Why did a band like this never achieve commercial sucess is out of my comprehension....

Banchee are great. The name is not good though, in my opinion. Maybe this is one of the reasons...?

Banchee - John Doe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-sv...eature=related

Banchee - I Don't Know
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4beCD...eature=related

Banchee - Iceberg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ROx...eature=related

Good music!