Help with German??

Thread: Help with German??

Tags: german
  1. Tito564 said:

Exclamation Help with German??

I need help with how to pronuncing pure vowels: a, e, i, o, u and the umlauts: ä, ö, ü. Can someone please help me.

JunjouLover said:

If you're familiar with IPA, that'd be the best way to explain it.

a is pronounced [a] which is just like the doctor would have you say: 'ahhhh'

e can be pronounced either as an [e] or an [ɛ] depending on the context. In the modern language, however, they are beginning to converge, and most speakers won't be able to accurately place EVERY SINGLE [e] and [ɛ] in it's right place. Regardless of this fact, you should try to pay some attention to the pronunciation when you can.

e.g. Wie geht es Ihnen? [viː geːt ɛs in(ə)n]

As noted above, the e can also take the schwa sound (ə). This is like the a- in the word about. This will happen usually at the end of a word (e.g. machen, Ihnen, ich habe etc.).

i can either be pronounced as [i] or [ɪ], but this distinction is pretty easy to make (particularly for an English speaker). The [i] is the sound in the word feet and [ɪ] is the sound in the word stick or hit.

o is largely pronounced as the o in the English , though more consistent and w/o glides (as goes for all these vowels).

u is pronounced as if you were admiring something and said, 'oohhhhhh, that's pretty!' or maybe the sound in the word food. [u]

ä is pronounced as [ɛ], always.

ö can either be [ø] or [œ]. [ø] is simply an [e] with rounded lips. Start pronouncing [e], then start to round your lips without changing your tongue positioning or anything, and you'll arrive at [ø].
    [œ] is pronounced as [ɛ] with rounded lips, so start pronouncing [ɛ], then round your lips and you'll get [œ].

ü is just like the French u in the word tu, and is written in IPA as [y]. The way you pronounce it is to say [i] and then round your lips.

If you have any questions, or I didn't make something clear enough, please let me know so that I can clarify!

Also, keep in mind that all of the more closed vowel sounds and also [a] can be both short or long ([aː], [eː], [iː], [oː], [uː], [øː], [yː]). Also, though I didn't explicitly write out the open counterparts for [o], [u] and [y] ([ɔ], [ʊ], and [ʏ] respectively), they are pronounced and do exist. It's just that, the difference is minor, and for native English speakers, it tends to fall right in with the pronunciation anyway.

3. Tito564 said:

Thanks!