Cem Karaca- Yoksulluk Kader Olamaz

Thread: Cem Karaca- Yoksulluk Kader Olamaz

Tags: None

partizanka said:

Default Cem Karaca- Yoksulluk Kader Olamaz

I don't know how tricky these lyrics are...but if anyone can try, thank you!

Yoksulluk Kader Olamaz

Sıram gibi sıradağlar
    Anam anam derdin mi var?
    Yaram yürekte değil ki gelip sarsın yar
    Radyolarda şarkılar boş ver diyorlar
    Açlıktan verem olana bal ye diyorlar

Yoksulluk kader olamaz kader değildir
    Firavunlar bile böyle gaddar değildir

Ben vatandaş Ahmet'im evkafta memur
    Ay sonuna yetmiyor evdeki kömür
    Bir kilo et seksen lira tadını unuttum
    İnsan gibi yaşamanın adını unuttum

Devlet baba borç içinde sabret diyorlar
    Sen de bakkala kasaba borç et diyorlar
    Ben onurlu insanım boyun eğemem
    Alacaklı ver deyince ödün veremem

partizanka said:

Sıram gibi sıradağlar // Lines of mountains _____ (like I arranged them?)
    Anam anam derdin mi var? // My mother, does something bother you?
    Yaram yürekte değil ki gelip sarsın yar // It's not my wound in (my) heart, come and bandage it (?it's not a wound in my heart that you come and bandage)
    Radyolarda şarkılar boş ver diyorlar // Songs on the radio are saying "don't care"
    Açlıktan verem olana bal ye diyorlar // If I give (if I end up dying?) from hunger, they say "eat honey"

Yoksulluk kader olamaz kader değildir // Poverty can't be fated, it's not fate
    Firavunlar bile böyle gaddar değildir // even pharaohs (tyrants) aren't so cruel as that

Ben vatandaş Ahmet'im evkafta memur //Fellow citizen, I'm Ahmet, a civil servant at government estates
    Ay sonuna yetmiyor evdeki kömür // (Domestic coal isn't enough til the end?)
    Bir kilo et seksen lira tadını unuttum // One kilo meat, 80 lira I forgot the taste
    İnsan gibi yaşamanın adını unuttum // Like a person, I've forgotten the name of my life

Devlet baba borç içinde sabret diyorlar // The government's in debt, they're saying to be patient
    Sen de bakkala kasaba borç et diyorlar // They're saying you also got into debt to the village grocer
    Ben onurlu insanım boyun eğemem // I'm a person with pride/self-respect, I won't/can't bow my head
    Alacaklı ver deyince ödün veremem // While (they're) saying give to the creditor, I won't/can't appease him

These are my guesses about this song. Corrections would be very much appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by partizanka; 08-26-2011 at 05:02 PM.

3. Sade said:

[QUOTE=partizanka;897468]

Sıram gibi sıradağlar // Lines of mountains _____ (like I arranged them?) << or "Chain of mountains like my line" but I'm not sure..."siram" is "my line/turn"

Yaram yürekte değil ki gelip sarsın yar // It's not a wound in my heart that my love comes and bandages it

Açlıktan verem olana bal ye diyorlar // They say "eat honey" to the ones who got tuberculosis from hunger

Ay sonuna yetmiyor evdeki kömür // Domestic coal isn't enough til the end of month

İnsan gibi yaşamanın adını unuttum // I forgot the name of living like a human (or less litr. "I forgot how it is to live like a human")

Sen de bakkala kasaba borç et diyorlar // They're saying you also get into debt to the village grocer

These are my guesses about this song. Corrections would be very much appreciated, thank you.
    Guesses? This translation is really good.

partizanka said:

Hey Quijote, thank you! I'm really glad to understand this song finally!
    But I got lotsa questions, if that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sade View Post
    Sıram gibi sıradağlar // Lines of mountains _____ (like I arranged them?) << or "Chain of mountains like my line" but I'm not sure..."siram" is "my line/turn"
    That's how I translated it at first "like my line" but it didn't make sense to me. Do you understand what it means?

Yaram yürekte değil ki gelip sarsın yar // It's not a wound in my heart that my love comes and bandages it
    Is this meaning like: it's not a wound, it's something else that my love bandages?

Açlıktan verem olana bal ye diyorlar // They say "eat honey" to the ones who got tuberculosis from hunger
    Wow. I think I will always remember how to say "tuberculosis" in Turkish. I still can't speak a proper sentence, but I will know that word. :P

Ay sonuna yetmiyor evdeki kömür // Domestic coal isn't enough til the end of month
    I thought of that too, but somehow I was thinking that to mean "the end of the month" there would have to be some change to "ay" to make it genitive case. Sometimes Turkish is simple where I least expect it.

İnsan gibi yaşamanın adını unuttum // I forgot the name of living like a human (or less litr. "I forgot how it is to live like a human")
    No questions, Your Honour. I just like this line a lot. Thank you very much.

5. Sade said:

Quote Originally Posted by partizanka View Post
    Hey Quijote, thank you! I'm really glad to understand this song finally!
    But I got lotsa questions, if that's okay.
    Nikako, zen zen, ii yo, rica ederim, you're welcome, nicht der rede wert! convinced yet?!?

That's how I translated it at first "like my line" but it didn't make sense to me. Do you understand what it means?
    Sorry, I really have no idea what he means with that line. :/ Maybe it has a meaning related to trouble/money problem, like his problems are lined up like chain of mountains.

Is this meaning like: it's not a wound, it's something else that my love bandages?
    It's not a wound in his heart that his lover can come and bandage it, it's a different kind of trouble (money problem) that has no easy solution/cure as heartache does.

Wow. I think I will always remember how to say "tuberculosis" in Turkish. I still can't speak a proper sentence, but I will know that word. :P
    Haha Yes, it's quite easy in turkish.

I thought of that too, but somehow I was thinking that to mean "the end of the month" there would have to be some change to "ay" to make it genitive case. Sometimes Turkish is simple where I least expect it.
    I understand, it could also be "ayin sonuna..." and maybe is a more proper way of saying it, but "ay sonuna" works too and is more common.

No questions, Your Honour. I just like this line a lot. Thank you very much.

partizanka said:

Nikako, zen zen, ii yo, rica ederim, you're welcome, nicht der rede wert! convinced yet?!?
    Very convincing! You could be an actor on an American Emmy-winning comedy!

Sorry, I really have no idea what he means with that line. :/ Maybe it has a meaning related to trouble/money problem, like his problems are lined up like chain of mountains.
    I just listened to the song again and what he really says here is "siram siram sira daglar gibi" so what you're saying makes sense to me. Thank you.

7. ercmnt said:

http://www.nedirnedemek.com/s%C4%B1ram_s%C4%B1ram_nedir

sıra sıra = sıram sıram no difference at all. its probably a way of saying in different areas

partizanka said:

Quote Originally Posted by ercmnt View Post
    http://www.nedirnedemek.com/s%C4%B1ram_s%C4%B1ram_nedir

sıra sıra = sıram sıram no difference at all. its probably a way of saying in different areas
    So it basically means "in rows" then?

Ercü, it's back, it's back! No more abusing, I promise!
    "Thank you!"

*edit- Nope, it's already gone again.

9. Sade said:

partizanka, please stop abusing your "thank you" button. :[

partizanka said:

partizanka, please stop abusing your "thank you" button. :[
    Stop edemem. :inatçı_fun:

11. Sade said:

Inatçı keçi.