Default serbian grammer

hi
    can anybody help me with serbian cases
    nominative,,,, lokative .. and so
    please
    ja volim serbiju ,,,

bloo said:

There are 7 cases in Serbian language:

1) Nominative (the word form is determined by questions who/what - КО/ШТА)
    2) Genitive (from which - ОД КОГА/ЧЕГА)
    3) Dative (to whom - КОМЕ/ЧЕМУ)
    4) Accusative (who/what - КОГА/ШТА)
    5) Vocative (hey - ХЕЈ)
    6) Instrumental (with who/what - С КИМ/ЧИМ)
    7) Locative (about who/what - О КОМЕ/ЧЕМУ)

*You'll notice that nominative and accusative have similar question, that's why in accusative we usually ad who/what you see (КОГА/ШТА ВИДИШ), because accusative is usually the case of object.

This is much easier with an example, so I'll change a noun trough cases for you to see.

Професор (Professor)

1) професор
    2) професора
    3) професору
    4) професора
    5) професоре
    6) с професором
    7) о професору

But this is too generalized, if you want something more concrete feel free to ask. I hope this helps at least a little. Happy new year.

3. spsm said:

aha.... it helps ,,,, i understand littele now ,,, but i think the genative is more plicated i need more explain for it ,., and if u can give me some examples please , thank u for help ,,
    thank u again
    ja volim serbiju ,,,

bloo said:

Genitive is the possessive case, but besides possession it can have more meanings, so I wouldn't recommend learning them (if I remember correctly it can have over 30 more meanings). As for the examples:
    Ја сам из Београда. (I am from Belgrade.) The noun Belgrade is in genitive.
    Излазим сваког дана. (I go out every day.)
    Ставио је капу изнад очију. (He put his cap above his eyes.)

As for declination, you can try and remember the suffixes that are added to the root of word, e.g. I'll change the word eyes(plural) (очи) through cases:

Nom. очи
    Gen. очи-ју
    Dat. очи-ма
    Acc. очи
    Voc. (in this case vocative doesn't make sense because you can't call your eyes, but it would be очи as well)
    Ins. с очи-ма
    Loc. о очи-ма

If you do it with a name, the situation is different. I'll change the male name Марко (Marco)

Nom. Марк-о
    Gen. Марк-а
    Dat. Марк-у
    Acc. Марк-а
    Voc. Марк-о
    Ins. с Марк-ом
    Loc. о Марк-у

But if you change a girl's name Mary (Марија) you'll also get different suffixes:

Nom. Мариј-а
    Gen. Мариј-е
    Dat. Мариј-и
    Acc. Мариј-у
    Voc. Мариј-а
    Ins. с Мариј-ом
    Loc. о Мариј-и

But for this you better find some grammar book, because there are groups of nouns and declinable that have the same suffixes so it's gonna be easier for you to learn them. I'd help you with this, but I never learned suffixes from books, after years of speaking it comes naturaly.

5. spsm said:

aha ...... so this is the suffixes in the singular case what about the plural ...
    .... hvala puno na pomoc.
    ja volim serbiju ,,,

milijana said:

Wink declination of nouns

spsm

plural:
    MarijE
    MarijA
    MarijaMA
    MarijE
    MarijaMa
    MarijaMA

7. xXalanaXx said:

Default Is there a pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by bloo View Post
    There are 7 cases in Serbian language:

1) Nominative (the word form is determined by questions who/what - КО/ШТА)
    2) Genitive (from which - ОД КОГА/ЧЕГА)
    3) Dative (to whom - КОМЕ/ЧЕМУ)
    4) Accusative (who/what - КОГА/ШТА)
    5) Vocative (hey - ХЕЈ)
    6) Instrumental (with who/what - С КИМ/ЧИМ)
    7) Locative (about who/what - О КОМЕ/ЧЕМУ)

*You'll notice that nominative and accusative have similar question, that's why in accusative we usually ad who/what you see (КОГА/ШТА ВИДИШ), because accusative is usually the case of object.

This is much easier with an example, so I'll change a noun trough cases for you to see.

Професор (Professor)

1) професор
    2) професора
    3) професору
    4) професора
    5) професоре
    6) с професором
    7) о професору

But this is too generalized, if you want something more concrete feel free to ask. I hope this helps at least a little. Happy new year.
    I've been wondering this for a while, is there a pattern for the endings? Like do all genitive cases end in "a" (profesora) and all vocative cases end in "e" (profresore)?

bloo said:

You can say that, but then again if you change мајка (mother):

1) мајка
    2) мајке
    3) мајци
    4) мајку
    5) мајко
    6) с мајком
    7) о мајци

gen. will end in E, and voc. in O. There are some rules when word ends with certain letter which suffix will they have when declined, but that's way too boring to learn. Come to Serbia and you'll learn it by ear in no time.

So, to answer your question, not all words end in A in gen. and E in voc., but there are a lot words that end like that, so you can use it as a somewhat rule.