Copyright permission for use of song cover in soundtrack

Thread: Copyright permission for use of song cover in soundtrack

Tags: copyright permission, cover, soundtracks
  1. jami1955 said:

Default Copyright permission for use of song cover in soundtrack

Hi
    I am a recording artist, with two published CDs. My next CD will contain a cover of B. Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. That will be licensed in the usual way for a CD release.

The issue:
    I want to make a music video using MY cover of the Dylan song as soundtrack. I have contacted (What I think to be) the publisher holding the copyright to said song, Dwarf Music, asking for permission to do that. They have responded via email seemingly positively saying I have permission.

I thanked them and asked via email for a hard copy of the permission on Dwarf Music letterhead, and was told my permission is VERBAL.

Unless I'm missing something, I think a verbal permission plus $2.50 gets a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

So, - what to do next? I don't want to invest resources into a video which could get pulled off of Youtube because I don't have the written permission they require.

thanks,
    JSC
    Last edited by jami1955; 01-11-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: mistake in syntax

SJ.Stevens said:

Look the song up in the Library of Congress & find out who specifically owns the rights to it. If it is still Dwarf Music then remind them that they get royalties for the use of the song & if they care about that then you need a letter of permission in hand. On another note, if they said via email that they gave you verbal permission then that is technically hardcopy proof. Keep the email, print it out to have a hardcopy, & proceed with caution. If they pull your video off youtube afterwards- sue them.