Question about censorship (blurring) of Turkish series dubbed in Arabic

Thread: Question about censorship (blurring) of Turkish series dubbed in Arabic

Tags: None
  1. Cecilia85 said:

Question Question about censorship (blurring) of Turkish series dubbed in Arabic

Hello,

I’ve been watching MBC دراما airing of the Turkish series سيلا dubbed in Arabic recently (great series, BTW) and I noticed that in some scenes, certain items are blurred out. (SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HASN’T SEEN THE SERIES). There’s one scene where the main character is kidnapped following a shootout and when they show the crime scene, the blood/wounds appear to be digitally blurred. Later the main character starts to haemorrhage (she’s pregnant), and that’s blurred out too. Is this from the original series, or has MBC دراما censored it? Can blood not be shown on TV in some Arab countries? I’ve noticed similar blurring with other items too (brand names/logos?).

Can anyone tell me more about this? My curiosity has been piqued.

rere99 said:

I know that some brand names and logos are blurred out in the original series (the turkish) but I don't know about the blood.
    You can check the scene in the turkish series (try finding the scene on youtube maybe) and see if it is blurred in the original one.

3. Cecilia85 said:

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

VivaPalestina said:

Sila? I havent seen that one But I'll tell you from the ones I've seen, no they're not blurred in the turkish soaps, its MBC that blurs it out Arabic countries are (supposed to be anyway) conservative, so you will see that MBC cuts of certain scenes (kissing etc) and will blur other objects such as the name of drugs/alcohol so as not to receive complaints that it is 'corrupting' the youth

Hope this helps

5. Cecilia85 said:

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalestina View Post
    Sila? I havent seen that one But I'll tell you from the ones I've seen, no they're not blurred in the turkish soaps, its MBC that blurs it out Arabic countries are (supposed to be anyway) conservative, so you will see that MBC cuts of certain scenes (kissing etc) and will blur other objects such as the name of drugs/alcohol so as not to receive complaints that it is 'corrupting' the youth

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the info. I knew some of the kissing scenes and such from other Turkish shows were cut out for the Arab countries, but I wasn't sure about the blurring. :-) I guess I noticed it more with Sila because it seemed kind of random to blur out the blood - I mean, there's still a red patch, I would imagine viewers know what it is. People generally do bleed when they get shot. ;-). But I guess I understand why they might blur it out. Sometimes it seems like the shows over here in North America compete to show the most gore, which personally I find is just gross.

VivaPalestina said:

I think the best part for me was when two girls asked for orange juice at a pub lool seriously how dumb do they expect us to be? but you know this blurring/cutting our stuff is quite recent, it only started after they dubbed the first turkish (sanawa aldaya3 and noor) before 7atta the english films were left. But because of the huge controversy (what with turks being almost conservative but more western) not everyone accepted it, issues like relationships outside marriage, drinking etc were all made to appear normal that many started complaining, and mbc has to cater for all I'm not sure why the blood was blurred out bas belki they thought it would be too distressing for us poor innocent arabs

7. Cecilia85 said:

I'm not sure why the blood was blurred out bas belki they thought it would be too distressing for us poor innocent arabs
    LoL

8. CZAREK2581 said:

I think the best part for me was when two girls asked for orange juice at a pub lool seriously how dumb do they expect us to be? but you know this blurring/cutting our stuff is quite recent, it only started after they dubbed the first turkish (sanawa aldaya3 and noor) before 7atta the english films were left. But because of the huge controversy (what with turks being almost conservative but more western) not everyone accepted it, issues like relationships outside marriage, drinking etc were all made to appear normal that many started complaining, and mbc has to cater for all I'm not sure why the blood was blurred out bas belki they thought it would be too distressing for us poor innocent arabs
    I really like your comment concerning this matter

Ghaly said:

VivaPalestina?

Was your "belki" turkish, aw kan arabic, 3ashan a3ref, enn "belki" bass farsi w ennhom el atrak kono bykhoddo da el kelma! O:
    - Racism is not far, it is in everybody's nature. Detect thy fears, thy prejudices, and live in unison with these fears and every being that does not harm thee.

VivaPalestina said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaly View Post
    VivaPalestina?

Was your "belki" turkish, aw kan arabic, 3ashan a3ref, enn "belki" bass farsi w ennhom el atrak kono bykhoddo da el kelma! O:
    Thats me

It was both Belki is used in the syrian dialect, but its also a turkish word Ma ba3raf meen bya5od men meen wallah! Bas fi kteer, belki, zor, zalim, zaten, 3aferin...all of these are in both

Ghaly said:

I guess, I can help
    3aferin (Farsi: Aafaren, Turkish: Aferin/Aferim) comes from persian.
    Belki keda kmaan.
    Zaten could be either arabic or persian originated, but surely not turkish.
    Zor is turkish, as far as I know.
    ^^

Anyways, thanks for your answer.
    - Racism is not far, it is in everybody's nature. Detect thy fears, thy prejudices, and live in unison with these fears and every being that does not harm thee.