Afrikaans "Coca-Cola Nooi"

Thread: Afrikaans "Coca-Cola Nooi"

Tags: None
  1. pianoman74 said:

Default Afrikaans "Coca-Cola Nooi"

Yes, that's an 80's song by Koos Kombuis, after all those years deemed "cult" for South Africans I think.

Actually I only need to know what the song title means.
    Dictionaries only gave "invite" (the noun) for "nooi" but it makes no sense...

Molotova said:

Nooi is invite ... So Coca Cola Nooi means Coca Cola Invitation
    1 <3

3. kalaharo said:

'Nooi' can also mean 'girl', so the song title would be 'Coca-Cola Girl'
    The verb 'to invite' is 'uitnooi' and invitation is 'uitnodiging'

4. pianoman74 said:

Ahhh! This makes a lot more sense than "guest" or "invited person" or something like that.
    Well I did have a suspicion it must be something very colloquial, probably not found in each and every dictionary in that meaning.

Baie dankie

Molotova said:

Yeah, it makes much more sense indeed. I thought I understood South African very well, I guess I don't.
    1 <3

6. Omoteshi said:

Default Coca cola nooi

sorry guys you are all wrong, the "nooi" in coca cola nooi means "girl"

this song was written in the apartheid years, Koos Kombuis wrote this song for a waitress of african decent. it was "frowned" upon at the time.

coca cola nooi = the pretty girl he ordered hes coke cool drink from. I know I am a south african and have been a Koos Kombuis fan vor 25 years ;-)

7. pianoman74 said:

Right, Omoteshi did double the answer by kalaharo, but added something very informative to it, which I'd like to keep quoted:
    (Mixa you were a little bit too hasty, since you've nuked it all without checking for any additional info concealed in there )

this song was written in the apartheid years, Koos Kombuis wrote this song for a waitress of african decent. it was "frowned" upon at the time.
    Thanks Omoteshi for this info!
    Well, I could really believe that this was taken offensive a little bit in those political times by many (especially those hardliner type of people)