Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Arabic <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Evanescent said:

Quote Originally Posted by marjo1988 View Post
    thanks a lottttt and last thing : الـحـمـل ( آذار/ مارس 21 - نيسان/ أبريل 20 )

20-21 are a numbers about dates? 20-21 january?
    21st of March till the 20th of April

marjo1988 said:

thanksss a lot Evanescent

Shoppingxgirl said:

Quote Originally Posted by CZAREK2581 View Post
    exactly ,you also need to use it in a speech that will help you a lot ,second thing is listeningIf u wanna focus mostly on Lebanese
    i recommend a very nice show on MTV which is called هيك منغني(find in on the Youtube) ,perphaps you watched already.It is really great
    and there is a lots of nice music
    No I didn't know that show! Wow! Thanks!! But I've watched some videos where people spoke with lebanese accent and it seems that they barely make a difference with the "t" and the "T", same with "s" and "S", they also don't pronounce the "Q" (replaced by a glottal stop) and the "3ayn" is very soft.
    Am I right? Or my ear is not trained enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mvnr1 View Post
    @ Shoppingxgirl

what makes Arabic vowels a little difficult is because it's written most of the time without tashkeel, tashkeel is the marks that r put on letters to show where the vowel sounds r, there r 3 basic marks which r fat7a (it gives the vowel sound a), dama (it gives the vowel sound o), kasra (it gives the vowel sound i)

if no tashkeel is written and u don't know that Arabic has tashkeel, then u'll only get a group of consonants that r difficult to pronounce (because no vowel sounds), for example the word كتب, if u replace the letters in it by the English equivalents u'll get ktb (3 consonants following each other)

another problem u may find if there's no tashkeel (the one u r talking about) is that this same word can have more than 1 meaning, depends on what vowel sounds there r, and since there r 3 basic marks (fat7a, dama, kasra) and 3 letters ك ت ب (k t b), u'll end up with unlimited possibilities regarding pronunciation, but only a couple of pronunciations have a meaning, and u can only know these ones by practicing and studying Arabic more and more, by time and practice u'll be able to recognize the vowel sounds even if there's no tashkeel, and in this case the context also makes it clearer

for example, after practicing and being good at speaking Arabic u'll know that the word كتب has all the following meanings:
    1- he wrote (if كتب is pronounced katab) (when كتب is written with tashkeel it's كَتَب)
    2- he made (someone) write (if كتب is pronounced katteb) (when كتب is written with tashkeel it's كَتِّب)
    3- books (if كتب is pronounced kotob) (when كتب is written with tashkeel it's كُتُب)

according to the context, u'll pick the right meaning from the 3, for example in the sentence فين الكتب؟ u can see that there's ال b4 the word كتب, this is the definite article, it can only be added to a noun, so u'll pick meaning number 3 because books is a noun

so the best thing to do concerning vowel sounds is to either write every word u learn with tashkeel or with the English transliteration, because the English transliteration shows the vowel sounds

u can also use a dictionary to know what the tashkeel of a word is, but i think most dictionaries show only Standard Arabic words, not dialect words, i don't know maybe there r dictionaries that show dialect words with tashkeel

so the word مركز u were talking about, 2 things can show u what meaning is meant:
    1- tashkeel
    2- the context
    and since there's no tashkeel on it so only the context will show u

if u write this word alone (without a context) and without tashkeel and u want a translation of it, u'll get more than 1 answer

check the following post if u r interested, it kinda talks about this:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/le...tml#post921454

by the way where r u from?
    Thanks a lot for the looong explanation. I'm from the uk
  4. CZAREK2581 said:

No I didn't know that show! Wow! Thanks!! But I've watched some videos where people spoke with lebanese accent and it seems that they barely make a difference with the "t" and the "T", same with "s" and "S", they also don't pronounce the "Q" (replaced by a glottal stop) and the "3ayn" is very soft.
    You are welcome anytime

Yes u are right relating to ت/ط,س\ص,ض\د it's really sometimes difficult to distinguish between all of them.In dialect people pronounance it so "lightly".,so in general both sound almost the sameLebanese it is a bit feminine in parts, and they have a lot of emotion in their words. Some Arab say that Lebanese accent should be spoken only by women
  5. mvnr1 said:

@ Shoppingxgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppingxgirl View Post
    Thanks a lot for the looong explanation. I'm from the uk
    u r welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppingxgirl View Post
    But I've watched some videos where people spoke with lebanese accent and it seems that they barely make a difference with the "t" and the "T", same with "s" and "S", they also don't pronounce the "Q" (replaced by a glottal stop) and the "3ayn" is very soft.
    i just wanna add that in Lebanese Arabic they pronounce the T (ط) and S (ص) kinda softer than how they r pronounced in Standard Arabic, but they don't pronounce them exactly like the t (ت) and s (س), the T (ط) is pronounced harder than the t (ت) and the S (ص) is pronounced harder than the s (س), they r very similar in this to Egyptian Arabic (which i speak)

for example if u pronounce the s in the word sabr (صبر) (which is S (ص)) as if it's an s (س), ur pronunciation would sound weird

the Q (ق) sound is pronounced like the beginning of the English word an (an apple) when in the beginning of speaking, but it's not pronounced like that in every word, there r some words where it preserves the Standard Arabic pronunciation

u can also check the following post about some differences between Standard Arabic and Lebanese Arabic:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/le...tml#post900017

u can also check the following post if u wanna know how some Arabic sounds r pronounced, among them how to pronounce the Q (ق) sound in Lebanese Arabic and Egyptian Arabic:
    http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/le...tml#post900500
    Last edited by mvnr1; 01-12-2012 at 05:41 AM.
  6. kaka said:

What is this means?

قله صحبيتك بتسلم علسك

عمي حامد خلف

حاب سوار

marjo1988 said:

cans someone can help me for this pls

- bedi mawtik haydi l bint ma3a jinsieh fransawieh iza btchoufa safara chou 3am ba3mol fiha bsir matloub min l interpol

- [...]5arjak ye5douk 2alil [...] haydi asalib

- tana7it bada t7milon

thanks in advance

amnah said:

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kaka View Post
    What is this means?
    قله صحبيتك بتسلم علسك
    عمي حامد خلف
    حاب سوار

What is this means?

قله صحبيتك بتسلم علسك

It should be...
    قله صاحبتك بتسلم عليك

(When you meet him) "convey my salutation to him”/ Tell him your friend (girl) says Hi.

عمي حامد خلف
    My uncle Hamid 5alaf ( male given name)
    حاب سوار
    7ab sewar
    (nickname)

Shoppingxgirl said:

@CZAREK2581
    Hehe poor boys :P

@mvnr1
    thanks I will have a look at the threads

amnah said:

Red face

cans someone can help me for this pls
    - bedi mawtik haydi l bint ma3a jinsieh fransawieh iza btchoufa safara chou 3am ba3mol fiha bsir matloub min l interpol
    - [...]5arjak ye5douk 2alil [...] haydi asalib
    - tana7it bada t7milon
    thanks in advance

بدي موتك! هذه البنت معها الجنسية الفرنسية. اذا بتشوف السفارة شو عم بعمل فيها،بصير مطلوب من الانتربول.

I'll kill you!
    This girl, she has got a French passport,(French citizenship)
    If the embassy*saw what I have done to her...
    I'll be wanted by INTERPOL,(International Criminal Police Organization).

- [...]5arjak ye5douk 2alil [...] haydi asalib.
    خرجك، ياخذوك قليل...هذه اساليب!
    You deserve it!if they take you
    It's nothing! Are these manners!
    (you deserve even more for you mistreat woman)

- tana7it bada t7milon*
    تنحت بدها تحمِلون*
    She insisted on carrying it.

I hope it's clear

marjo1988 said:

yesss its very clear thanks you a lot amnah for your help

amnah said:

yesss its very clear thanks you a lot amnah for your help
    You are welcome my dear, anytime

Shoppingxgirl said:

Hello!! ^^

What do these sentences mean?

1.mashna3ak ya lameed zy al ftere manzarak
    2.fesh anghash
    3.kenek mesh shayfe bsas b7ayatek 3'ero ?
    4.baie5 - sa5ef
    5.esh hay asa al e7'wa na3om metdamnen ? abo sooky ante 7'alek b7alak shansak batalet atla3 yom jom3a :P bs al kotra bte3'leb al shaja3a meshan heek bye
    6.hhhhhh <---- bet3aber 3n kolshe
    7.Abo tjozi
    8.Samer warai wo ehab 7ade wo bts2lne a7lam sa3ede

marjo1988 said:

hii everybody pls someone can translate it for me in lebanese dialect :

- what is the day of your birthday?

- i want to take a break

- I can only stay 15 days

- maybe in March I could work in the company

so thanks a lot in advance for ur help
  15. CZAREK2581 said:

[QUOTE=marjo1988;929603]hii everybody pls someone can translate it for me in lebanese dialect :

- what is the day of your birthday?=Sho youm melaadak?

- i want to take a break=Bedde a5'od break/[raa7a]

- I can only stay 15 days=ba2dar aDoll bas 5'amastashar youm

- maybe in March I could work in the company= berki fe adaar/[Mars] ba2dar ashta3'al fe hayda shareka

so thanks a lot in advance for ur help

marjo1988 said:

thanks a lottttttt CZAREK thanks to be here
    TC
  17. CZAREK2581 said:

thanks a lottttttt CZAREK thanks to be here
    TC
    welcome ya prince anytime
  18. kaka said:

Hi all gd day to u all..

Help what is these mean?