Quick pointer for songwriters

Thread: Quick pointer for songwriters

Tags: None

Experimentalist said:

Default Quick pointer for songwriters

Just had a browse through the titles of these songs. Now.....I know there is no rule to making a songtitle BUT it is in the best interests of everybody to make the title of the song thought provocative, catchy and meaningful (as well as relevant to the lyrics inside)

Heres a few I caught glimpse of (apologies to writers)

DO what you should - what is this? Not something that made me want to read the lyrics. regardless of how good they may have been.

Lonely as a leaf - how lonely can a leaf possibly get? is a leaf the thing you think of when lonely? This is not a successful song title, never has been, never will be.

Hurts like nothing - you can guess what I am going to say here....nothing doesnt hurt, how can something hurt like nothing. Again, not read the lyrcis inside the thread, the title stops me wanting to. Think about these small things before you write them

Undead in Unlove - so bad I had to read the lyrics inside, which were worse than I expected. Grabs the attention more than the 3 above but still shockingly bad

and finally

Believe it or doubted - illiteral, doesnt make sense. Words inside shocking again.....dont know what to say really

People, if you think you can make it as a songwriter and you have used any titles like anything above, think again, not going to happen. If your just doing it for fun and have used any titles from above then it might be fun for you, not for the reader so keep it to yourself. Thanks

I know I am sometimes a little bit harsh or brutal but I guess its needed sometimes.

MoonRide*r* said:

Some of us who post here (como yo) just do it for pleasure, and maybe to help or encourage others who seem to have writing or musical talent. I'm about twice your age and if I wanted a career in music I would've been there a long time ago. But I don't, so I'm not, but if I was, I certainly would not post my best stuff on a public Internet site. But as it is, I (like others on this free and open community forum) just write stuff that really really means something to me. As others do here. So now I wonder if you'll get the hint this time.

The reason I haven't commented on any of the relatively few lyrics that I've seen from you is because I personally thought they were just average. I really hate to be harsh or brutal (ask anybody) because sometimes that does more harm than good. But you laid yourself wide open for it didn't you? I don't see why you feel any particular justification for handing out "pointers for singwriters" if you're just going to restate the obvious and regurgitate some over-the-top criticism. Maybe you should've just kept all of this to yourself? But omigosh I sure hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
    There is no glamour in sudden death, and nobody ever wins a war.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>
    ROCK 'n' Roll Halls of Fame

Zer0 said:

"quick pointer for songwriters"

Maybe you need some of your own pointers. Your name indicates you have pointers but youre just saying how bad the names of some songs are. If you want to help take some time to actually read the songs, and give the writer some better suggestions for their song titles to make their songs more attractive.

4. Mon said:

I agree that not all the lyrics or we post are good but its something we just like doing besides if see any famous singer or songwriter even they have bad ones and seriously in all your posts i have seen how much u hate the lyrics but no suggestions on how to improve them.

Experimentalist said:

FAO Moonride, if you think my lyrics are average that is fine with me. I personally make a very good living writing, not just lyrics but music journalism also. If you think that what I write is average then I'm just glad you are not my boss. Also I believe that you couldn't have made a career out of music or writing as I have read your stuff and frankly it is less than average. Perhaps it's the fact you can't understand constructive criticism and just take anything negative about your efforts straight to the heart. It's just a pity you don't write from the heart, or at least it does not seem you do. Your efforts scream rhyme dictionary and badly thought out titles and structures. If you won't take advice then you don't deserve to become a better writer although personally I think you lack the talent anyway (or the brain capacity, not sure which)

Lastly, I don't care about your age, there are 13 and 14 year olds on this site who have already written better lyrics than you ever have or will. If you don't want advice from an "average" professional then don't post your crap on here.

MoonRide*r* said:

Just fyi, commercial success does NOT necessarily mean talent as anyone with half a mind already knows. And if you can't see that I write from deep feelings (that's the only reason I can write anything at all) then you just don't have a clue.

And btw, your one itty-bitty "nay" out of all the good-to-excellent comments I've gotten doesn't mean shxt to me. Sabes culo??

I dunno, maybe when you grow up you'll understand some little part of what I'm saying. Or maybe not, I don't even care.

PS: Slj I know exactly what "Hurts Like Nothing" feels like, in my own way, coz I was there 5-6 months ago. It the worst freaking time of my life. Day to day I lived (barely existed) at the bottom of a very deep and very empty black hole, the loneliest sense of Nothingness that I have ever felt, and I honestly thought I would never crawl out of it. And I'm still beat to shxt, but lots better thanks to a few good friends. Anyway, apparently this Experimentalist hasn't been there (yet) and just doesn't understand. But for me your title was like instant recognition. Just saying.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

MoonRide*r* said:

Btw, the only reason I got on you is because you got too personal in your "reviews". There is no reason to insult people, and when they happen to be my good friends or people I respect, then I'm gonna say something. Just learn to be a little more objective and maybe even a little helpful and less offensive in how you write reviews and I'll get off your back.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>

Experimentalist said:

Moon I apologise if you feel insulted by any of my reviews. I give credit where I feel credit is due. Perhaps I am a little harsh with my criticism sometimes but being honest is more important to me than giving false hope. Some lyrics won't work however much constructive critisicm is given. Finally, I don't mind someone being on my back. I am very happy with my work and confidence goes a long way in this business. I do not wish to fall out with anyone on here but there are a lot of other people who have appreciated my honesty in reviewing their work, even if it was in a negative way. Perhaps you need some stronger skin.

MoonRide*r* said:

Well I wouldn't say I need stronger skin because in truth I actually enjoy (as my best friends know) ragging people who seem to lack basic social skills. But I also apologize that I came on too strong. It's a fault that I have. But just for the record, again, the worst thing anyone can do in my eyes is to be overly critical with people that I call friends. I could care less about myself, because if I didn't have good friends here and if I didn't enjoy reading and writing lyrics and poetry, I could just say bye-bye, to hell with this site. But that's not the case.

I think it's also important to suggest that (obvkiously) everyone has opinions, and that's all they are is opinions. There is no final judge here, no absolute right or wrong, especially in a lyrics section where posts are expected to have music behind them, because very often (too often?) the music makes a song more than the words do ... at least in pop culture. How the hell else could someone like Lady Gaga ever make it so big? ... lol ... gah ...

So anyway, it's cool. Why don't we just start over.
    Last edited by MoonRide*r*; 03-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    :
    Rockers Unite! =>