70's - Under The Radar Artists

Thread: 70's - Under The Radar Artists

Tags: None

smithy said:

Question 70's - Under The Radar Artists

No matter how I Google or Bing or Yahoo these lyrical snippets, I can't get a straight answer. There are two songs my buddy hit me with the other day from the 70's which he vaguely remembers. The only words he can muster are these:

Song #1 "It's hard on the loser, it's hard on the winner too". He thinks the Band went by the name of Bandit. But try typing the word 'Bandit' into a search engine, and good luck!

Song #2. Well, he tells me he was so young, all he remembers was an African-American Guy singing solo with a back-tracking female vocal that went like this:

"have you had enough, did you think it up, can you try your luck, did you feel it up...etc (not the correct lyrics I'm sure).

The guy sang something like: Well baby, I'm just an ordinary guy".

I'd consider it a near miracle if any of you guys out there could patch this together for me. Thanks

2. pianoman74 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Song #1 "It's hard on the loser, it's hard on the winner too". He thinks the Band went by the name of Bandit. But try typing the word 'Bandit' into a search engine, and good luck!
    Well, admittedly it's no longer the best idea to use a search engine for this purpose, facing the fact that said SE's are full to the brim with nasty ebay/amazon doorway links, let alone all those spam and scam sites.
    You should rather go the "DISCOGS way", which is a site that holds gazillions of recorded music and speech, starting from early phonograph/cylinder records (you can even find the FIRST EVER recorded audio in 1860 there!!) up to present day.

So you had better start here:
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bandit+%2815%29

smithy said:

Thumbs up Back Door 70's

Thanks pianoman74. I'll be checking out some stuff real soon.

4. jlb112 said:

The first song is Hard On A Loser by Bandit 1977 (AcDc spinoff)

smithy said:

Nice one jlb112. I've ordered an old vinyl copy for my collection.

atmaestro said:

For the second one, I haven't found a "Soul" group (yet) with those lyrics.
    The closest I got was "Queen of the Road" by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (1984)

Now if you wanna roll the dice, you can try your luck
    She can melt the ice of an ice cream truck
    Can't holler uncle, when you've had enough
    Her own brother won't fight her, cause the girl's so tough
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

atmaestro said:

Ok my second wild guess is "Candida" by Tony Orlando and Dawn (1970)

And, oh, who am I?
    Just an ordinary guy,
    You know I'm tryin' hard,
    To win the first prize.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

smithy said:

Thanks for the effort atmaster. But it's not those artists or songs. My friend told me he remembers seeing the artist on Top of the Pops somewhere between 1975? and 1977? I tried searching for some type of UK 70's archive of Chart Hits, but I am getting mired in what pianoman74 aptly described as back-door links.

9. Asuyuka said:

Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    Thanks for the effort atmaster. But it's not those artists or songs. My friend told me he remembers seeing the artist on Top of the Pops somewhere between 1975? and 1977? I tried searching for some type of UK 70's archive of Chart Hits, but I am getting mired in what pianoman74 aptly described as back-door links.
    There is a listing of all artists that performed on TotP. That could make this search easier, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...op_of_the_Pops

Manhattan Transfer is the only one that stands out to me, but that's a guess. They performed on the program in 77.

Mixalopoulos said:

Billy Ocean - Stay The Night ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UI9iGbyDzs

Billy Ocean - Stop Me (If Youve Heard It All Before) Sings "I'm an ordinary guy" at 48 secs in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRl8FnmWKs8
    Ρεμπέτικο για πάντα. Μάγκες είμαστε.

smithy said:

Thanks for the links y'all. Unfortunately, I came up empty. What I'm gonna do is this: I'm gonna record what my friend has been singing (harmonies too) and upload a short sample in the very near future, then maybe some of you might offer further suggestions. Thanks again to all.

smithy said:

Ok here's my closet karaoke persona, in the hopes that somebody out there in 70's land can identify this song. Thanks

Click here to listen to findyourluck.mp3