Default Simple Hebrew Phrases for Beginners

Thanks - תודה - todah

This is for a start

2. 1inamillion1 said:

What's up/How are you - מה נשמע - ma nishma
    מה קורה - ma koreh
    מה המצב - ma hamatzav
    מה העניינים - ma ha'inyanim
    These are all different words but they are commonly used expressions for "how are you" or "what's up".

How are you (slightly more formal) – מה שלומך - Ma shlomcha (masculine)
    Ma shlomech (feminine)

3. ellyali said:

Personal Pronouns used as subjects:

ani - i
    atah (MS) - you
    at (FS) - you

hu - he

he - she

anachnu (MP/FP) - we
    atem (MP) -you

aten (FP) - you

hem (MP) - they
    hen (FP) -they

yosis said:

חה חה חה , ללמוד זכר ונקבה למי שלא דובר שפת אם זה קשה , לערבי ישראל לא נראה לי שיש ממש בעיה עם זכר ונקבה אבל מצד שני רמת העברית של הרבה מהם היא בסיסית ואין להם אוצר מילים(הם לא ממש צריכים לדאוג הממשלה לצערי "קבעה" שערבית היא שפה שנייה כאן במדינת ישראל, וואלה גם ככה הכל פה ערבים בגדה המערבית עזה גבולות ישראל ועוד מיליון 700 אלף כאן במדינה כבר עוד מעט רבע מהאוכלוסיה, אם לא בא להם לדבר עברית הם מוזמנים לעבור למדינה פלשתינית משלהם ששמה הם יוכלו לדבר באיזו שפה שהם רוצים,אבל בדר"כ אם תעברו באבו גוש או בכל עיר ערבית או מעורבת
    ...כל העסקים והחנויות משולטים בעברית "אחמד ובניו שירותי אינטלציה בע"מ ועוד
    מה עוד יש לנו כאן "עולים חדשים" מברית המוצצות שגם הם מתקשים בשפה ופתחו להם ערוץ ברוסיתתת במקום שילמדו רק היברו
    הקטע עם העולים זה שלרוב הילדים שנולדנו כאן בארץ או באו בגיל קטן יודעים יותר טוב עברית מאשר רוסית כי זה מה שהם למדו כאן בבית ספר ומחברים שלהם, ובבית עם ההורים הם עדיין מדברים רוסית אבל יש כאלה שברמה בסיסית והם שוכחים ת'רוסית או שפה אחרת שהם דיברו, ויש כאלה שזוכרים טוב, אין רע בלדעת עוד שפה כמו רוסית אבל שיידעו לדבר עברית טוב אם הם בחרו להגר לארץ, אין להם ממש הרבה ברירות..
    רוסי ללא מבטא , לא נראה לי שקיים דבר כזה אלא אם כן זה מישהו שנולד בארץ....
    יש לנו גם יידיש כאן אצל החרדים , אבל יש גם דוברי עברית שפת אם , שהם מונים כמיליון דוברים בעולם , ועוד כ 4מיליון בערך בישראל כמחצית מהאוכלוסיה בארץ ישראל.
    עברית היא שפה מאוד קשה למי שלא למד אותה מגיל קטן,לדבר עברית ישראלית בלי מבטא זה מי שלמד מאז שהוא תינוק לדבר רק בעברית , ולכן כל מי שלמד את זה כשפה שנייה יש לו מבטא והוא מתקשה לדייק בזכר ונקבה או לדעת אוצר מילים גדול של מעל 60 אלף מילים.

5. IsraeliGuy:) said:

יש גם שפות אירופאיות, כמו גרמנית ואיטלקית בהם יש הפרדה בין זכר לנקבה.

Here is some other useful phrases in Hebrew:

Ma? - what?
    Mi? - Who?
    Eich? - How?
    Lama? - Why?
    Oh (short 'oh', not like the long English 'oh') - or
    Shel - of
    Ha - The (there is always a word directly attached to it, for instance "HaKelev" - "The dog")
    Eize? - Which?
    Im - If

American English has influenced the Israeli Hebrew quite greatly, so it's OK to use some English phrases as follows:
    Bye - ביי
    Hi - היי
    Instead of their Hebrew counterparts:
    Shalom - שלום - Hello (can said when people meet, or when they leave each other)
    Lehitraot - להתראות - Goodbye (only when you leave)

zedjiga said:

Can you suggest simple verbs?

To Talk/ Speak : I speak some Hebrew
    To know : I know a little Hebrew
    To think : I think it is a beautiful language
    To feel : I feel it is a beautiful language

Thank you

7. 1inamillion1 said:

I'll give the infinitive (to -) forms, and then I'll put the word in the present tense in a sentence, with masculine/feminine forms:

To talk/speak: לדבר (ledaber)
    I speak some Hebrew: אני מדבר/מדברת קצת עברית (ani medaber/medaberet ktzat ivrit)

To know: לדעת (lada'at)
    I know a little Hebrew: אני יודע/יודעת קצת עברית (ani yode'a/yoda'at ktzat ivrit)

To think: לחשוב (lachshov)
    I think it is a beautiful language: אני חושב/חושבת שזו שפה יפה (ani choshev/choshevet she'zo safa yafa)

To feel: להרגיש (lehargish)
    I feel it is a beautiful language: אני מרגיש/מרגישה שזו שפה יפה (ani margish/margisha she'zo safa yafa)

To understand: להבין (lehavin)
    I understand a little Hebrew: אני מבין/מבינה קצת עברית (ani mevin/mevina ktzat ivrit)

To learn/study: ללמוד (lilmod)
    I learn/study some Hebrew: אני לומד/לומדת קצת עברית (ani lomed/lomedet ktzat ivrit)

To like/love: לאהוב (le'ehov)
    I like/love to speak Hebrew: אני אוהב/אוהבת לדבר עברית (ani ohev/ohevet ledaber ivrit)

zedjiga said:

Is there any tips on how conjugate from the infinitive form to the present tense verb. Since I noticed that the common similarity is; the infinitive form usually begins with (L--- something) then how it changes; I couldn't figure out the pattern. Is there a rule of thumb, or you simply just have to memorise it ?
    Thank you 1inamillion1 appreciate your effort.

9. IsraeliGuy:) said:

Sadly, I'm pretty sure you'll simply have to memorize it. These questions are more appropriate at languages forums though, such as wordreference (search for it at google!)

10. 1inamillion1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by zedjiga View Post
    Is there any tips on how conjugate from the infinitive form to the present tense verb. Since I noticed that the common similarity is; the infinitive form usually begins with (L--- something) then how it changes; I couldn't figure out the pattern. Is there a rule of thumb, or you simply just have to memorise it ?
    Thank you 1inamillion1 appreciate your effort.
    My pleasure :-)

Well...KIND OF. I mean, Hebrew verbs are (mostly, not always) made out of 3-letter "roots" such as "ch-sh-v" ח–ש–ב (think) which then form most verbs and nouns related to the concept of thinking. For example:
    לחשוב lachshov = to think
    חושב/חושבת choshev/choshevet etc etc (all verb conjugations for thinking and considering) = thinking/considering
    חשבון cheshbon = account
    מחשבה machshava = thought
    חשוב chashuv = important
    מחשב machshev = computer

...and there are many others actually.

However, there are some letters which are considered "weak", like ה for example in the root ר–צ–ה r-tz-h (want), which is רוצה rotzeh in the present tense verb but becomes לרצות lirtzot (the ה has totally disappeared) in the infinitive.

But yes, I guess you can GENERALLY say that the infinitive consists of the 3 letter "root" plus the L- prefix (and sometimes the insertion of "o") in the middle.

Can you read Hebrew? I know it might seem really confusing right now, but once you learn to read well and understand the "root" system of Hebrew (and Arabic) it's REALLY easy to remember.

What's your native language?

bateli777 said:

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    My pleasure :-)

Well...KIND OF. I mean, Hebrew verbs are (mostly, not always) made out of 3-letter "roots" such as "ch-sh-v" ח–ש–ב (think) which then form most verbs and nouns related to the concept of thinking. For example:
    לחשוב lachshov = to think
    חושב/חושבת choshev/choshevet etc etc (all verb conjugations for thinking and considering) = thinking/considering
    חשבון cheshbon = account
    מחשבה machshava = thought
    חשוב chashuv = important
    מחשב machshev = computer

...and there are many others actually.

However, there are some letters which are considered "weak", like ה for example in the root ר–צ–ה r-tz-h (want), which is רוצה rotzeh in the present tense verb but becomes לרצות lirtzot (the ה has totally disappeared) in the infinitive.

But yes, I guess you can GENERALLY say that the infinitive consists of the 3 letter "root" plus the L- prefix (and sometimes the insertion of "o") in the middle.

Can you read Hebrew? I know it might seem really confusing right now, but once you learn to read well and understand the "root" system of Hebrew (and Arabic) it's REALLY easy to remember.

What's your native language?
    You are one in a million....the passion you possess for Hebrew ..omg..
    and the patience to explain ...good job

I only wish I had a private tutor like you to teach me Greek.........
    היי, אני בת אל ...נעים מאוד
    וכל הכבוד על העבודה הנפלאה שאת/ה עושה

שבת שלום
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

yosis said:

בתאל מה קורה אמרת שאת מראש העין ובת 30 ומשהו ?

zedjiga said:

Shalom 1inamillion1
    Thank you very much once again. You know; I learned hebrew alphabets by hard , and now I'm taking it to the next level. Reading!
    For practice; I wish to transliterate Hebrew songs and hope you can assist me whenever you have extra time on your hands if you please. You are really such a precious member, you explained so well and it shows that you care. After learning the reading and alot of learning; in future I wish I can help translate too.
    You"re working hard and ever so helpful and we all appreciate that. I am sure! Thank you for making Hebrew, a delightful language to learn.

14. 1inamillion1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by zedjiga View Post
    Shalom 1inamillion1
    Thank you very much once again. You know; I learned hebrew alphabets by hard , and now I'm taking it to the next level. Reading!
    For practice; I wish to transliterate Hebrew songs and hope you can assist me whenever you have extra time on your hands if you please. You are really such a precious member, you explained so well and it shows that you care. After learning the reading and alot of learning; in future I wish I can help translate too.
    You"re working hard and ever so helpful and we all appreciate that. I am sure! Thank you for making Hebrew, a delightful language to learn.
    Haha wow, thanks. I really don't consider it anything special, but thanks a lot! So glad you're enjoying it :-)

15. 1inamillion1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bateli777 View Post
    You are one in a million....the passion you possess for Hebrew ..omg..
    and the patience to explain ...good job
    חח וואו, תודה בת אל. אני נתן. נעים מאוד :–)
    ושבוע טוב לך!
    :–)

yosis said:

נתן אתה נותן הרבה לפורום כאן
    מאיפה ובן כמה אתה ?
    כמה זמן אתה בפורום ?

bateli777 said:

Quote Originally Posted by yosis View Post
    בתאל מה קורה אמרת שאת מראש העין ובת 30 ומשהו ?
    יוסקה ...נחמד שאתה פורש את המידע האישי שלי כאן ....קבל עם ופועל
    המידע שלך נכון בחלקו, ואיך זה קשור לביטויים בעברית ?
    ?
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

bateli777 said:

Quote Originally Posted by yosis View Post
    נתן אתה נותן הרבה לפורום כאן
    מאיפה ובן כמה אתה ?
    כמה זמן אתה בפורום ?
    יוסי
    יש הודעות פרטיות באתר הזה ...

אני עוד עובדת על חיפוש המקור של אביבה אבידן להשתחרר
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

bateli777 said:

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    חח וואו, תודה בת אל. אני נתן. נעים מאוד :–)
    ושבוע טוב לך!
    :–)
    נעים מאוד נתן
    באמת עבודה יפה אתה עושה.

אני לא זוכרת מי כתב שהיא צריכה לשנן את כל ההטיות בעל פה
    אבל , האם היא לא יכולה להעזר בבניינים?

יהיה לה יותר קל להטות לרבים , אם היא תדע מה השיוך על פי הבנין

למשל

שילם -שילמו

התארגן - התארגנו

וכו'

עברית שפה קשה ללמידה כשפה זרה , בניגוד ללמידה כשפה שניה
    אבל יש שפות קשות ממנה
    אני נאבקת עם יוונית כבר הרבה שנים
    בבסיס המאבק ...חוסר עקביות ,וחוסר חשיפה לשפה מדוברת, רק שירים

ביוונית אפילו לשמות בני אדם יש
    ARTICLE = A,AN

o yannis etc...
    ולכל שם עצם יש שייכות מגדרית, זכר נקבה או דומם ....

בהצלחה עם הקורס שאתה נותן כאן
    באמת יישר כח
    Ploutarxos Gia Panta

zedjiga said:

Don't understand anything